Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG

Milltown is correct that it woudl result in a riot sometimes which is probably true.
But as skull suggested it is going to take a mind set change from players and clubs to achieve this, to this end what would be wrong with a referee dropping in to St Galls, rossa cushendall loughgiel on a training night and taking 5 mins to explain to the players that they want to let the game flow but if that is going to happen they need the players to realise that there is sometimes that they wont get that cheap free.

The should also IMO drop into the managers before the games how they are going to handle the game this can be done informally in 2mins and get agreement from the managers and then it is up to the managers to pass this on. Therefore this takes away the suprise element to  it and it means the ref can say to the manager who is complaining 'I told you beforehand what the case was'

Sounds too simplistic to actually work!

theskull1

Quote from: milltown row on August 21, 2008, 02:16:01 PM
ok Skull, but if i go back to one of my original posts on this matter, if the referees did referee this way in Antrim then there would be a riot. i've played too many games when the referee has let it go and it boils over and someone is on there way to the hospital. the attitude then is 'fcuk the referee is letting things go, get stuck in'

i would advise anyone to go to the course on refereeing, if not to be a referee but understand and maybe even voice your views about refereeing

Yes. If it was left to individual referees to "let the game flow" (as apposed to "let the game go") then you could well be right. However what I have said in an earlie post is that it needs to communicated from the top down through all levels to ensure everyone is aware that the style will be changing and that clubs need to ensure that their players are ready for it. Everyone should also be made aware of the motivations to change the way games are refereeed as well. If that was done then I don't think that there would be any riots especially if dangerous and blatent fouling are still blown.

Quote from: milltown row on August 21, 2008, 02:16:01 PM
on another note:
was playing last night and won a couple of balls off the guy i was marking, the manager shouted to the marker 'if your going to foul him then f**king hurt him, take him down' now i'm old enough to not give a shite about that talk from the line but what gets me is that these were only kids and have been trained and coached to play like that.

Should that guy not be reported milltown? Obvious that this would have been they way that the manager played and  felt it made him a hard man. So easy to stay behind and cut someone up. Gutless bsatrad
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

milltown row

Quote from: NAG on August 21, 2008, 02:34:29 PM
Milltown is correct that it woudl result in a riot sometimes which is probably true.
But as skull suggested it is going to take a mind set change from players and clubs to achieve this, to this end what would be wrong with a referee dropping in to St Galls, rossa cushendall loughgiel on a training night and taking 5 mins to explain to the players that they want to let the game flow but if that is going to happen they need the players to realise that there is sometimes that they wont get that cheap free.

The should also IMO drop into the managers before the games how they are going to handle the game this can be done informally in 2mins and get agreement from the managers and then it is up to the managers to pass this on. Therefore this takes away the suprise element to  it and it means the ref can say to the manager who is complaining 'I told you beforehand what the case was'

Sounds too simplistic to actually work!

i put this to the panel when doing the course and was advised against this, the reason being, you'd be the worst in the world if you failed to act on something you said beforehand, it could be the case that the referee did not see it. which is fair enough. ex players need to be referees.

as for that guy on the line Skull, i dont think he'd have the sense to understand what he was saying, or the damage it's doing to the game.

davincicode

Lads, im a blow in from the Northside of Dublin, i concur with what most of what you are saying, i have watched two Antrim Referees do games at national, Owen Elliott and Garrett Duffy to be honest they both have refereed excellent across the boarder, they let a lot go, especially Duffy in a game against Louth v Fingal excellent game full blooded. MR is right it does,nt end up in a free for all down here, and both boys seemed to have clicked to that, the do referee differently at home it obivious if you have seen them away from antrim. Duffy does seem to be tough on the verbal aspect, but thats not a bad thing in my book, so MR im with you in that in Antrim it just cant happen and that is due to players managers/selectors, you are just not used to it up here full stop!!!!

So until players managers etc get it into their thick heads that knocks will be given and have to be taken without reprisal then antrim will always be a soft touch to say the least. Dont give it if you can,t take it.

girt_giggler

Quote from: milltown row on August 21, 2008, 11:50:27 AM
no apparently there was a land slide on the M2 and the only lane open was blocked by a lorry took them an hour to get away from, on the hill towards Glengormley.

we'd finished our game (the seconds) at the pitch and i was having a pint before they made it back to the club just before nine. not happy campers at all.

Minder will Glenariffe drop down to intermediate next year? i think we will also. senior championship will have two less teams in it next year. does not say a lot about Antrim hurling

had been looking forward to a good game too!! Only 4 of your men appeared to make it on time, we trained instead then a few more of your men appeared.

milltown row

Yes girt very unfortunate for yourselves and the seniors that tried to get down in time. all the games are important to us as we need to finish second and hope that the county change their minds again and make it a ten team div one instead of the 8 team div one at the minute.

ourselves and Tir-na-og are pushing for that position, not surprised that they have come good, we've played them in many challenge games over the years and they have improved greatly.

milltown row

seems the county are getting worked up over the sending off of the cushendall goalkeeper. any views on this lads? i was speaking to the referee who sent him off last week so i know his views on the matter.

the antrim website seem to be getting their knickers in a twist over it. surely it's simple, like everyone is intitled to an appeal. i'd like to know though about the success of previous appeals

youngfella

Depends if there a county player with a championship game coming up.
Pull hard and early

theskull1

Well I thought it wasn't a sending off offense. If a defender had hauled/tripped the attacking player in the same way the goalkeeper did then he would have got a yellow card. Thought that soccer rules were being applied at the time tbh.

aontroim

IHC 1/4 Final last night

Gaeil Chluana 3-11 v 1-5 Cushendun

Minder

Was it Fred Mc Auley? Is Ronan Kearney injured?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

davincicode

MR just speaking with a North Antrim work colleague who gave me a run down, its ridiculous to say the least, he was sent off for danger to an opponent, which is a red card he informs me. Cushendal produced a video of the match, and sent it to appeals, which after viewing they decided to overturn the Referees decision. Whats the story with that!

He says the CHC as it is called 4 man team- have always overturned nearly everthing that goes to them, he says its a joke, some guy Frank Smith is a 2 faced B******S and should,nt be in the job. I,m sure the referee is pissed to say the least, after all the discussion about referees, if it was me i would tell them to shove it. The referees committee should back their man to the hilt and have none of it! Heres the biggest joke the Rossa player was going witness for the Goalkeeper!! Hamill is his name. Jesus what next, no wonder your county can,t progress with these type of A******S in it. MR that should be a lesson to you, don,t REFEREE thats why they can,t get anyone to REFEREE.

Frank Smith should join Brolly and the boys on the Sunday Game!

theskull1

Calm down davinci ffs. That quite franklly is a load of balls

It was not a sending off offense. Simple as....and I'm a Dunloy man. There was nothing "dangerous" in what he done. He came out to meet Gavin Bell, and threw himself at him. There was no slashing with the stick, just an awkward challenge which warranted a yellow, but that was it.

I'm sure referees aren't that far up their own arses that they know that they CAN get things wrongs during a match the same as players. Why should a referee take the hump just because he got a decision wrong?

There's certainly been more contentious appeals in the past. This one is a no brainer afaik

Glensman

The goalie was, as far as I am aware, the minor or under 21 goalie.
Ronan Kearney came on after a while out with injury and saved the resultant penalty I believe.

Would/will the keeper start in the final anyway?

Minder

So there appeals would really take place after big senior championship matches as no video evidence would exist for 99% of antrim club matches. Did the ref admit he made a mistake? If not it sets a dangerous precedent
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"