Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milltown row

being a bit harsh on the referee lads when some of you were not even at the match, Hamill looses it for whatever reasons only he knows. surprised at big Jim, shouting at the referee will never make him change his mind. if you were being treated like that at work would you stand for it? we all have had a moan to the referee but some players and managers take the piss.

as for the comments regarding referees always blowing up for needless things, and did you watch the Waterford game, people are always looking for hard tackles and the referee to let it flow, but if that happened in Antrim it would cause a riot. as someone said earlier the players have to change their mind set for this to happen.

if your team was in the county semi final and it was a tight match and one of thoses hard tackles (like in the Waterford game) happened to one of your players, and the ball breaks to the opposition and they score the goal that wins the match, would you be giving off to the referee or would you be saying afterwards, the referee did well, he let the game flow?

NAG

I dont like criticising referee's on here at all and Im not going to single anyone out because it is a very tough job to do and they do it for nothing.

However I have to say that the standard has been slipping in the last number of years. I dont mind ref's being picky if they are picky on every aspect consistently so that everyone knows what is a foul and what isnt.

But there is one issue that I have to take exception with and it is a fault of alot of our referee's, they cannot spot a dangerous foul. They will pull players up on silly technical fouls and let some of the most ridiculously dangerous swinging and blocking go.

I think if they irradicated these dangerous fouls then they could let the game flow by not pulling up every tiny infraction on the minor things.

theskull1

Heard Connelly's outburst and he got what he deserved. Have sympathy with why he was frustrated as I didn't feel at that stage that Rossa we're getting their fair share of the decisions, but the manner and tone of his tirade was way out of order.

Did the Rossa line try and promote a bit of the old Dunkirk spirit into their troops  ;)

Kettle was indeed the MOTM

Some other oberservations. Anyone else see Gavin Bell stamp on Aaron Graffin. No one else around me seen it, so I could be mistaken

And what did use think of the sending off for a "professional foul" . Is that not a soccer rule?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

milltown row

looking forward to the loughgiel Dunloy semi final, think i'll jump in the car and head down will be a good game.

is it fair that Cushendall have all this time now to concentrate on the final? whats the pros and cons in this.

on another note we were beat by Ardonye last night >:(  but before the game the BBC newsline were down doing a piece on the Bog Meadows being closed for enviromental reasons due to the flooding. the girl doing the interview and claimed how dangerous it was and to make sure you all stay away from the bog Meadows. the second she stopped talking, 40 girls from the ladies team and Ardoyne seniors and our seconds ran past her into the 'DANGER ZONE'  ;D ;D ;D

davincicode

Good point skull, some of the lads said they heard one of the umpires after the game when he was out for a smoke say it was for dangerous play, not sure what rule that comes under, maybe MR can help us out on that one? Bit harse on the keeper we would all have probably done the exact same thing in the same position. I see the guys had ear pieces in, good to see, i think it can only improve the decisions.

Hamil and Connolly got what they deserved, MR is Duffy big on the abusive language, no nonsense type of referee? I felt that he did,nt want a casement scenario to raise its head, he kept it tight, some may think too tight.

milltown row

Garret is flexable you can talk to him but if someone is calling you cheat and questioning your parentage then you only have one weapon to use. if the abuse continues and kids see that you can get away with it then it will continue all the time. i'm all for firing up your team and creating a seige mentality but ya can't abuse the referees, they are only human and will not give the team those tight decisions. would you?

Minder

Milltown did your seniors not make it to Glenarm last night ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

milltown row

no apparently there was a land slide on the M2 and the only lane open was blocked by a lorry took them an hour to get away from, on the hill towards Glengormley.

we'd finished our game (the seconds) at the pitch and i was having a pint before they made it back to the club just before nine. not happy campers at all.

Minder will Glenariffe drop down to intermediate next year? i think we will also. senior championship will have two less teams in it next year. does not say a lot about Antrim hurling

Minder

Quote from: milltown row on August 21, 2008, 11:50:27 AM
no apparently there was a land slide on the M2 and the only lane open was blocked by a lorry took them an hour to get away from, on the hill towards Glengormley.

we'd finished our game (the seconds) at the pitch and i was having a pint before they made it back to the club just before nine. not happy campers at all.

Minder will Glenariffe drop down to intermediate next year? i think we will also. senior championship will have two less teams in it next year. does not say a lot about Antrim hurling

Not sure Milltown, it will probably depend on who is managing. I think this will be Raymie Mc Donnells last year managing, it looks like we are headed for Div 2 and as we are a small club and not one of the traditional powerhouses the leagues will probably not be rearranged. So there is no point playing senior championship as a Div2 club.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

NAG

I dont think that it was regarded as a 'professional foul'

He did trip him which is a sending off offence and he also struck with the hurl which is a sending off offence so he could have gone for either.If he is lucky he will be done for the trip and get the month.

Yes it was a clear stamp on Graffin less than 6 yards away from the umpire so how that didnt recieve the same treatment is unbelieveable.

the colonel

Quote from: theskull1 on August 21, 2008, 10:32:19 AM
Heard Connelly's outburst and he got what he deserved. Have sympathy with why he was frustrated as I didn't feel at that stage that Rossa we're getting their fair share of the decisions, but the manner and tone of his tirade was way out of order.

Did the Rossa line try and promote a bit of the old Dunkirk spirit into their troops  ;)

Kettle was indeed the MOTM

Some other oberservations. Anyone else see Gavin Bell stamp on Aaron Graffin. No one else around me seen it, so I could be mistakenAnd what did use think of the sending off for a "professional foul" . Is that not a soccer rule?

Graffins chest has 2 big foot marks on it and because of that he wasn't fit to play last night against dunloy. definately intended and an act like that (stamping on a man on the ground) was act of a coward
the difference between success and failure is energy

theskull1

Quote from: milltown row on August 21, 2008, 11:02:16 AM
Garret is flexable you can talk to him but if someone is calling you cheat and questioning your parentage then you only have one weapon to use. if the abuse continues and kids see that you can get away with it then it will continue all the time. i'm all for firing up your team and creating a seige mentality but ya can't abuse the referees

100% right milltown and should be the first thing a young player should learn. You may not like the decisions but that does not give you any right to abuse the referee. If I was a referee, I would red card anybody who crossed that line and would respect any referee who would do the same whether the player was a Dunloy man or not.

NAG hit the nail on the head with this quote however

Quote from: NAG on August 21, 2008, 10:09:31 AM
But there is one issue that I have to take exception with and it is a fault of alot of our referee's, they cannot spot a dangerous foul. They will pull players up on silly technical fouls and let some of the most ridiculously dangerous swinging and blocking go.

I think if they irradicated these dangerous fouls then they could let the game flow by not pulling up every tiny infraction on the minor things.

Last night our centre half whilst contesting and actually winning a dropping ball got a full belt across his face guard and a free against him for what must have been deemed to be pushing. His opponent had nothing said to him. Then he blows for two handpasses deemed very dubiously to be throws. It's so frustrating when you see matches on RTE and then expect the same refereeing attitudes apply to the local game.

Don't be overly fussy. Keep in mind that the game should be encouraged to flow. Blow dangerous and blatent fouls only would be my advice.

milltown row

I think consistency is needed; the rule book is clear on fouls and what action is to be taken when the foul is committed. The referees who do the div one games are the ones who are meant to have the experience, and if they referee the same way together then there should be no complaints.  It's when you play a game one week and something is allowed and then play the next and it's not allowed. That's when we complain.

The thing is, what you see from your angle may not be what he sees; the referee gets nothing out of not blowing for the free that you see. If it's a foul and he sees it he'll blow. You'll find that a referee from another club dislikes either team and who wins means absolutely to him.

But if a referee is goaded constantly from a certain team then it will make it harder for him to judge fairly. Its only human nature.

theskull1

Quote from: milltown row on August 21, 2008, 01:27:07 PM
I think consistency is needed; the rule book is clear on fouls and what action is to be taken when the foul is committed.

No no no no no milltown . This is the problem. Out top referee's are too fussy BECAUSE they have the rule book on their side. Watch the AI semi finals and I guarentee you that I could pick out countless numbers of rulebook infractions that just don't get blown, because IMO both teams don't expect "fussy fouls" to get blown. What happens as a result of is that the game flows better. Referees in croke park know that just like the players, they have a role to play in making the game worth watching. That means they have to exercise judgement not continually refer to the rulebook to support the decisions they make.

milltown row

ok Skull, but if i go back to one of my original posts on this matter, if the referees did referee this way in Antrim then there would be a riot. i've played too many games when the referee has let it go and it boils over and someone is on there way to the hospital. the attitude then is 'fcuk the referee is letting things go, get stuck in'

i would advise anyone to go to the course on refereeing, if not to be a referee but understand and maybe even voice your views about refereeing

on another note:
was playing last night and won a couple of balls off the guy i was marking, the manager shouted to the marker 'if your going to foul him then f**king hurt him, take him down' now i'm old enough to not give a shite about that talk from the line but what gets me is that these were only kids and have been trained and coached to play like that.