Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: hardstation on April 30, 2008, 09:33:10 PM
Antrim website has it 2-07 - 1-07 for Ballycastle.
Lougheil beat the Johnnies
Randalstown hammered Rossa
Ballycran beat St.Gall's.

The ports beat us by two points last night, absolutely chronic game and considering we only scored 2-4 we're in deep doo doo's. Need to get regrouped very quickly if we are to avoid relegation.

theskull1

I'm telling you boys, it must be a real ball breaker to manage Antrim teams. History keeps repeating itself and whenever positive strides don't happen really quickly OR setbacks happen..the players run for cover instead of understanding that that their very attitude is exactly why we are so far down the pile. Independent of who is managing Antrim players, the players need to commitment to squad training or the management team have nothing to go on. Sambo & Woody are massive Antrim men and I'm sure want nothing more than to send out committed players onto the pitch every time. Players willy nilling with training whenever a few results go against them, tells me a lot about the psyche of the individuals that are representing this County and have done for many years. Yes poor management can affect player attitude, but surely we can't always blame the management (although I have serious issues with the expectation levels set by the current management)? Players need grow some balls and play their part to work these through.

I take it they'll be no Antrim players getting a grant this year (isn't it dependent on you attending a certain number of training sessions?)

Which opens another question: Is there a chance that the grants system will be a demotivating factor to county player who knows that they will just fall under the threshold for getting the grant?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

slow corner back

As far as I am aware Neil McManus, Neil McAuley, Cormac Donnelly and CJ McGourty have all suffered from back injuries while all in their teens ( not certain about McGourty). All these lads came through the Antrim development squads at roughly the same time and presumably with similar training schedules. I would be very nervous that perhaps some of the young guys are being pushed into too many weights too early and causing themselves long term injuries. Its all very well talking about what happened back in the seventies/eighties but in those days no teams did the type of weights/ fitness work that is being done now. Does anyone know what input physios have in designing fitness regimes for young hurlers?

imtommygunn

McGourty was more hip related as far as I know.

I would fully agree with your points about the training SCB. Questions would have to be asked. You may notice as well a lot of Tyrone posters commenting on the injuries their teams have and how they are not just unlucky but could be more to do with the training patterns and the lack of an "educated" trainer. I think the same could apply here. I remember the hurlers had weights programs made out for them the other year but can't mind who made them out. They're all the same age these boys so have they been following the same programs?

Sambo's point about playing 3 games in one day, IMO, would be nonsense given the volume of physical training done now compared to then.

Fairhead

What i don't get about our current Antrim management is why are they not keeping their heads down in terms of senior for at least the next couple of years and putting all their efforts in to the u21 championship this year? The minor team of 05 should have beaten Limerick and the 06 tean ran Galway, Joe Canning included, very close. Why not make a big effort at u21 for a change when there is a half decent squad there? Maybe they are doing this by completely ignoring up to now and then come July Sambo will spring them to an Ulster title against Derry!!!!!!!

johnneycool

Quote from: Minder on May 01, 2008, 12:39:54 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on May 01, 2008, 12:38:13 PM
QuoteI heard on good authority that the fella he hit was wearing helmet/faceguard but his stick broke the faceguard and left him with a nice split on his head. The johhnies didnt even go back to the changing rooms, they just jumped into their cars and headed home.

Minder, who did he hit?

His missus works with the big man, ask Tony Baloney

Forgot to say, I was told the other night by someone from Portaferry who was at the game with the Johnnies and he felt that it was one of their own players who instigated the whole thing, but what McFall got up to during it was really uncalled for.

Minder

I hear he was acting the maggot the other night after the Loughguile v St Johns match, him and Ding Gillan were slabbering to each other during the match and when they were going into the changing rooms after it Kung Fu Mc Fall aimed a kick at Gillan but he saw it coming and got his retaliation in first and hung one on Mc Fall.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Glensman

theskull1

Ding and McFall...two peas in a pod IMO.

milltown row

Are St Johns mirroring the 'Dirty Dubs' of Antrim Hurling? Since there new manager has taken over (the one who cant work out if a kid is 14 or 15) they have been in a dust up in every game.  They must be playing the siege mentality card everyone hates us we don't care blah blah blah.

Will this win them the Championship? Can the Shamrocker on the site give us a match report?

theskull1

Re: U14s
milltown are you sure that wasn't a genuine mistake?

On the general question. It will not take either the Johnnies or the authorities long to become battle weary if they attempt to keep it up. Delusioned if they think that they could intimidate their way to county title. 

Shamrock

Regarding a few snide remarks about Ding - firstly how you can put Ding in the same sentence as McFall in a joke. Im not going to slate any man on here as its too easy to hide behind this computer. So im just going to mention Ding - to me hes a tough lad, who plays hard and tough. He takes his slaps and gives them out. But isnt a mouth. The other night was typical! not going to comment on what happened, as im sure you all would love to know, but lets say Ding got into his car, and was ok!

St Johns give us a tough game. They are much improved and have a bit of pace up front - hard to work with. we were missing a few, with our u-21's not availaible due to final with Dunloy. St Johns didnt try to rough it up, as we thougt they would. We have 3 wins under the belt but as we well know it means zero. Wer after one thing and one thing only - and only time will tell........

youngfella

howdy,

any games or match reports this weekend?
Pull hard and early

theskull1

U21 final last night

Possibly not one for the purist but for such a low scoring game it was a hell of a contest last night. Real backs to the wall stuff for our defense who to a man were outstanding. Forwards really took the game to loughgiel in the first half against the breeze but down to only 14 men, they struggled with it as they had 2 extra men in defense. To win the competition with 5 good players missing from the squad through injury/suspension was a fantastic achievement from a team who got humiliated by a good ballycastle team only 7 months ago.  Absolutely over the moon with the commitment and heart shown yesterday.

youngfella

Fair do's skull, sounds like a good win against the shams. the wind sounds like the a nightmare. What was the atomsphere like? must being a bit sicking for the lads from the town to watch.
Pull hard and early