Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Usain

Quote from: btdtgtt on September 16, 2016, 12:40:53 PM
Quote from: Usain on September 16, 2016, 12:22:46 PM
At a very high level the way I see it:

1. Antrim GAA folk want something reasonably sized (10K), new and modern. Play club cship semis/finals and county games.

2. NI Sport/Ulster GAA want a massive all seater stadium (35K+) that can host concerts and ulster cship matches.

There is no middle ground here between what the two groups want and we as Antrim gaels are the losers in all this.

Is it only a matter of time before the project is canned? At the end of the day its a scandalous waste of tax payers money thus far tbh.

Agree with all but that bit - not canned - find a new project - won't be what everyone wanted - but there is no alternative. We must see a stadium (of some size) at Casement Park. I can countenance how any Gael would consider anything other than a GAA stadium there.

What I was getting at here is that surely there will come a point in time were Stormont will pull the money allocated if the developers don't start actually constructing whatever it is they are going to build.

A graveyard casement will then handed back to Antrim GAA in a state of disrepair. Can anyone see that as a possibility?

NAG1

Quote from: Usain on September 16, 2016, 03:18:16 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on September 16, 2016, 12:40:53 PM
Quote from: Usain on September 16, 2016, 12:22:46 PM
At a very high level the way I see it:

1. Antrim GAA folk want something reasonably sized (10K), new and modern. Play club cship semis/finals and county games.

2. NI Sport/Ulster GAA want a massive all seater stadium (35K+) that can host concerts and ulster cship matches.

There is no middle ground here between what the two groups want and we as Antrim gaels are the losers in all this.

Is it only a matter of time before the project is canned? At the end of the day its a scandalous waste of tax payers money thus far tbh.

Agree with all but that bit - not canned - find a new project - won't be what everyone wanted - but there is no alternative. We must see a stadium (of some size) at Casement Park. I can countenance how any Gael would consider anything other than a GAA stadium there.

What I was getting at here is that surely there will come a point in time were Stormont will pull the money allocated if the developers don't start actually constructing whatever it is they are going to build.

A graveyard casement will then handed back to Antrim GAA in a state of disrepair. Can anyone see that as a possibility?

In short No.

Na Glinntí Glasa

You think not? i can see it happen if the two parties are not prepared to shift on what they want.

The GAA want 34k, the residents 25k, neither party seems to want to budge on this. I dont see how this will ever be resolved at the moment. Casement has lay in ruins for years now and it doesn't look like it will be used for years to come.

Is it next year that they launch the new planning application?
hurl like f**k boi!

btdtgtt

Quote from: Dunloy realist on September 16, 2016, 04:04:34 PM
You think not? i can see it happen if the two parties are not prepared to shift on what they want.

The GAA want 34k, the residents 25k, neither party seems to want to budge on this. I dont see how this will ever be resolved at the moment. Casement has lay in ruins for years now and it doesn't look like it will be used for years to come.

Is it next year that they launch the new planning application?

They'll find a number DR.
Personally I think the GAA will bring down their desired capacity.
After all they are small funders compared to taxpayers.
And even for them something is better than nothing.
As I said, I will be more than happy to see capacity reduced from the original plans.
I'm not convinced we'd ever have got the big games the larger attendance was aimed at anyway.

Hectic

Casement will be developed and the money will not be pulled.

hurlingstick

Looking forward to the two finals tomorrow. Hopefully two good games. I hope St. Endas can put it up to Cloughmills as they've 4 or 5 quality hurlers. Not sure what will happen in the other game but with Donal O'Hara not fully fit I think Lamh Dearg may win it!

Hectic

Cloghmills and Lamh Dhearg.

Minder

Quote from: NAG1 on September 16, 2016, 12:15:07 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on September 16, 2016, 11:53:06 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on September 16, 2016, 10:15:29 AM
Quote from: btdtgtt on September 16, 2016, 09:09:26 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on September 16, 2016, 08:42:30 AM
no one will be happy or seems willing to compromise. It wouldn't surprise me if this project never happened at all and we were given a cash sum to clean the place back up and back to what it was before.

Given a cash sum by who?

There's no real opportunity for a "clean-up".
The stand needs demolished. The rest of the place is waste ground at best.
For a functioning stadium construction is needed.

We're all frustrated and I was certainly one who wanted people held to account for the debacle  - but I think we all need to focus on ensuring a stadium is built at Casement.

from the govt - basically it will be a 'look we fucked up here big time, your not getting that stadium so here yeh go lads. clean that aul mess up and say no more.'

I said last year we may get used to playing county finals at Ballycastle and that wont change for the next 5 years.

No one will ever be held accountable, thats the joy of working for the Govt. they just pass the buck and nothing ever happens to them.

Its deeply frustrating for us all because i want nothing more than a county ground where we can go an watch our teams play at, a place were our youth want to aim to get to play a county final at.

Working FOR the government or working IN government?  :-[
Well that's a pouring petrol on the fire for some DR ;)

Personally if Govt gave enough money to build a small enough stand on both sides, terrace behind each goals, and the accompanying changing & social facilities - I'd be delighted! Modern and fit for purpose!

That's said Hectic & OisinOg point to other valid issues.
NAG I'm not sure what you are getting at :-[

Look at the drivers for the Casement project now on social media and through the various campaigns.
Are they Antrim GAA people or are they outside bodies with a now vested interested in the project?

Your just right NAG1, surprised more haven't picked up on this. It's basically the Feile/Visit West Belfast crowd as the main pressure groups now, in different guises.

Do you think they are interested in Antrim Gaa? They will probably want Casement to base themselves and hold their events
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Jesusjones

That was a couple of cracking matches in Armoy today and full credit to all 4 clubs. I was particularly impressed by St. Endas number 5 and 15 for Cloughmills. Don't know who they are but 2 excellent hurlers.

hurlingstick

Quote from: Jesusjones on September 17, 2016, 06:46:08 PM
That was a couple of cracking matches in Armoy today and full credit to all 4 clubs. I was particularly impressed by St. Endas number 5 and 15 for Cloughmills. Don't know who they are but 2 excellent hurlers.

5....John McCormack ........15 ......Liam Cassley..........two entertaining games.  Cushendun will be kicking themselves they didn't kick on when they went 2 up. Great to see how much it meant to Lamh Dearg to win .....and also to see how devastated Cushendun were to lose. Their players were distraught which I think is a great sign. Fair play to all 4 teams. .......that was the best £7 I've spent this year. Some battle between Donal O'Hara and Donal Nugent ......those two boys would make many a team!

theskull1

Typo on the program (well done on that btw)

5 for St Endas was John McGoldrick

They certainly gave it a good lash. They did the most of the attacking but the wide tally came back to bite them. Was a great championship match
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Antrim Coaster

Quote from: Jesusjones on September 17, 2016, 06:46:08 PM
15 for Cloughmills Liam Cassley ex Ballymena and an excellent hurler.

Last Man

Quote from: theskull1 on September 17, 2016, 07:45:30 PM

They certainly gave it a good lash. They did the most of the attacking but the wide tally came back to bite them. Was a great championship match
[/quote
Fell short today but just. Another year at IHC will do us no harm. 15 decent today of his left was decent but a lesson for us on the line plus the standard of ball we put forward was woefully high and and played into their  hands. But hey the pressure of the day on young mens shoulders we had some dig at it and we are not finished yet! Congrats to Biddies on grinding out a result, best of luck to them going forward.

Last Man

Quote from: Last Man on September 18, 2016, 03:04:02 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on September 17, 2016, 07:45:30 PM

[/quote
Fell short today but just. Another year at IHC will do us no harm. 15 decent today of his left was decent but a lesson for us on the line plus the standard of ball we put forward was woefully high and and played into their  hands. But hey the pressure of the day on young mens shoulders we had some dig at it and we are not finished yet! Congrats to Biddies on grinding out a result, best of luck to them going forward.
[/quote
I will have to watch the dvd back to appreciate what went down but will put it out there that all the value in the championship for the neutral this year was in IHC? Trend emerging?

Jesusjones

What age is Liam Cassley?