Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Quote from: btdtgtt on September 16, 2016, 09:09:26 AM
but I think we all need to focus on ensuring a stadium is built at Casement.

I for one would hate for a 30K+ stadium to be Antrims go to ground for County Finals and National League games.

Not one person has said they would look forward to Antrim playing in such an environment. All you get is the 'look it needs to be sorted' type arguments because 'somethings better than nothing'. I totally disagree with this logic.

I think it'll have a seriously negative impact on our games (terrible atmosphere at big games year on year will kill enthusiam for our games, less neutrals attending games, increased running costs looking after concrete means less going toward teams etc). The powers that be remain totally silent in regard to these risks
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

btdtgtt

Quote from: theskull1 on September 16, 2016, 09:55:32 AM

I for one would hate for a 30K+ stadium to be Antrims go to ground for County Finals and National League games.

Not one person has said they would look forward to Antrim playing in such an environment. All you get is the 'look it needs to be sorted' type arguments because 'somethings better than nothing'. I totally disagree with this logic.

I think it'll have a seriously negative impact on our games (terrible atmosphere at big games year on year will kill enthusiam for our games, less neutrals attending games, increased running costs looking after concrete means less going toward teams etc). The powers that be remain totally silent in regard to these risks

Ignoring the fact that the previous stadium was already too big for our county final (yet still had atmosphere) I have said here before I agree.
Casement isn't on it's own here.
We are building stadia right across the country which are too big.
Look at nearly every county in Ireland's county ground - now ask how many of them are filled? Ever!
Even the big day's out at Clones or Thurles aren't necessarily sold out now.
But on an individual county level we have grounds the length and breadth of Ireland which are have never and will never be even close to half filled.

It is with this in mind that I agree with you - I don't want a huge stadium devoid of atmosphere - in this respect the capacity is not a case of bigger is better.

But also - something IS better than nothing, and it DOES need sorted.

NAG1

Quote from: theskull1 on September 16, 2016, 09:55:32 AM

But we need a community development, where else will the Feile office go?
The old Casement was such a community hub that it needs replaced so badly. We need to economically regenerate W Belfast.

So many issues to consider except those that actually matter to Antrim GAA folk. Tired of the arguments at this stage especially when no one can actually answer any of the concerns.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Dunloy realist on September 16, 2016, 08:42:30 AM
no one will be happy or seems willing to compromise. It wouldn't surprise me if this project never happened at all and we were given a cash sum to clean the place back up and back to what it was before.

Given a cash sum by who?

There's no real opportunity for a "clean-up".
The stand needs demolished. The rest of the place is waste ground at best.
For a functioning stadium construction is needed.

We're all frustrated and I was certainly one who wanted people held to account for the debacle  - but I think we all need to focus on ensuring a stadium is built at Casement.

from the govt - basically it will be a 'look we fucked up here big time, your not getting that stadium so here yeh go lads. clean that aul mess up and say no more.'

I said last year we may get used to playing county finals at Ballycastle and that wont change for the next 5 years.

No one will ever be held accountable, thats the joy of working for the Govt. they just pass the buck and nothing ever happens to them.

Its deeply frustrating for us all because i want nothing more than a county ground where we can go an watch our teams play at, a place were our youth want to aim to get to play a county final at.
hurl like f**k boi!

oisinog

Casement will go ahead apparnetly its a key feature in the Rugby world cup application

Hectic

Casement will be rebuilt, do not doubt it. Talk of what is best for Antrim is irrelevant as well with regards Casement as this is not money for Antrim GAA but rather Belfast City or West Belfast to be precise. The Ulster council have a supporting role that will push the needs for something fit for purpose for Ulster Championship games.

Yes for Antrim specific purposes a 10k facility somewhere accessible would be great but these wishes being fulfilled are not only unlikely any way soon but such a desire does not have any real relevanvce to the aims of the Casement Park project.

btdtgtt

Quote from: Dunloy realist on September 16, 2016, 10:15:29 AM
no one will be happy or seems willing to compromise. It wouldn't surprise me if this project never happened at all and we were given a cash sum to clean the place back up and back to what it was before.

Given a cash sum by who?

We're all frustrated and I was certainly one who wanted people held to account for the debacle  - but I think we all need to focus on ensuring a stadium is built at Casement.

from the govt - basically it will be a 'look we fucked up here big time, your not getting that stadium so here yeh go lads. clean that aul mess up and say no more.'

I said last year we may get used to playing county finals at Ballycastle and that wont change for the next 5 years.

No one will ever be held accountable, thats the joy of working for the Govt. they just pass the buck and nothing ever happens to them.

Its deeply frustrating for us all because i want nothing more than a county ground where we can go an watch our teams play at, a place were our youth want to aim to get to play a county final at.

Working FOR the government or working IN government?  :-[
Well that's a pouring petrol on the fire for some DR ;)

Personally if Govt gave enough money to build a small enough stand on both sides, terrace behind each goals, and the accompanying changing & social facilities - I'd be delighted! Modern and fit for purpose!

That's said Hectic & OisinOg point to other valid issues.
NAG I'm not sure what you are getting at :-[

Hectic

NAG is probably not far off the type of thinking behind the embryonic drive to redevelop Casement.

NAG1

Quote from: btdtgtt on September 16, 2016, 11:53:06 AM

Given a cash sum by who?

Personally if Govt gave enough money to build a small enough stand on both sides, terrace behind each goals, and the accompanying changing & social facilities - I'd be delighted! Modern and fit for purpose!

Look at the drivers for the Casement project now on social media and through the various campaigns.
Are they Antrim GAA people or are they outside bodies with a now vested interested in the project?

Usain

At a very high level the way I see it:

1. Antrim GAA folk want something reasonably sized (10K), new and modern. Play club cship semis/finals and county games.

2. NI Sport/Ulster GAA want a massive all seater stadium (35K+) that can host concerts and ulster cship matches.

There is no middle ground here between what the two groups want and we as Antrim gaels are the losers in all this.

Is it only a matter of time before the project is canned? At the end of the day its a scandalous waste of tax payers money thus far tbh.

btdtgtt

Quote from: NAG1 on September 16, 2016, 12:15:07 PM

Given a cash sum by who?

Look at the drivers for the Casement project now on social media and through the various campaigns.
Are they Antrim GAA people or are they outside bodies with a now vested interested in the project?

Absolutely - see your point now.
But that's to be expected when it's not GAA money - it's taxpayers money.
Therefore certain other people can legitimately claim a vested interest.
I agree that's unfortunately the case.

btdtgtt

Quote from: Usain on September 16, 2016, 12:22:46 PM
At a very high level the way I see it:

1. Antrim GAA folk want something reasonably sized (10K), new and modern. Play club cship semis/finals and county games.

2. NI Sport/Ulster GAA want a massive all seater stadium (35K+) that can host concerts and ulster cship matches.

There is no middle ground here between what the two groups want and we as Antrim gaels are the losers in all this.

Is it only a matter of time before the project is canned? At the end of the day its a scandalous waste of tax payers money thus far tbh.

Agree with all but that bit - not canned - find a new project - won't be what everyone wanted - but there is no alternative. We must see a stadium (of some size) at Casement Park. I can countenance how any Gael would consider anything other than a GAA stadium there.

NAG1

Quote from: btdtgtt on September 16, 2016, 12:38:12 PM

Given a cash sum by who?

Not when the money is being allocated to the GAA, others are band wagon jumpers and are pushing their own agendas.
IMHO they are neither needed or wanted but they can see the benefits for themselves so have pushed themselves into the campaign.

The GAA are the sole body being given the money therefore it is up to them how it is utilised within reason.

btdtgtt

Quote from: NAG1 on September 16, 2016, 12:56:53 PM

Given a cash sum by who?

Not when the money is being allocated to the GAA, others are band wagon jumpers and are pushing their own agendas.
IMHO they are neither needed or wanted but they can see the benefits for themselves so have pushed themselves into the campaign.

The GAA are the sole body being given the money therefore it is up to them how it is utilised within reason.

There's no shortage of bandwagon jumpers pursuing their own agendas that's for sure! And I agree neither needed or wanted!
But saying the money is allocated to the GAA is different to saying they can do what they want with it!

It's been allocated to the Casement Park project.
If it was merely given over to Ulster Council - you can bet not one penny would be spent in Belfast let alone Antrim.

NAG1

Quote from: btdtgtt on September 16, 2016, 01:00:56 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on September 16, 2016, 12:56:53 PM

Given a cash sum by who?

There's no shortage of bandwagon jumpers pursuing their own agendas that's for sure! And I agree neither needed or wanted!
But saying the money is allocated to the GAA is different to saying they can do what they want with it!

It's been allocated to the Casement Park project.

If it was merely given over to Ulster Council - you can bet not one penny would be spent in Belfast let alone Antrim.

That was my reference to - within reason.