Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btdtgtt

Quote from: ashman on September 13, 2016, 10:39:57 AM
North Antrim must be the best part of the country for nicknames .

Nelson's 1989 team was renowned for the nicknames.

The City ones are generally not very polite or subtle  :)

Hectic

Quote from: north aontroim gael on September 13, 2016, 09:56:47 AM
Colm Cunning

Think Dunloy in particular - Jesus most guys from there seemed to have a nickname that not too much thought went into.

Na Glinntí Glasa

lol i dont know, some of them are odd enough. Shorty for starters, ive no idea how he got that name at all. some come from their dads nickname and it followed like young woody for example.

hurl like f**k boi!

Usain

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 12, 2016, 11:31:46 PM
Quote from: Hirty Darry on September 12, 2016, 10:58:32 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on September 12, 2016, 02:46:52 PM
The referee has to stand his ground and show the player(s) he's in charge. It's the player who has to yield. Anything else is poor refereeing

Extremely over the top in my opinion regarding that particular series of events.

The rules also state all players must not move closer or cross the 20m line until the ball is struck, Ballycastle attackers, on each of these instances,  crossed the line before the ball was struck.  Ref was only interested in the keeper breaking the rule, when others had also offended.

Advantage was played when LW was fouled at the other end and it wasn't taken back for the free.  Footage showed it was barely two seconds, the rule is 5 seconds.

Just a couple of inconsistencies that should be pointed out.

CC has youth on his side and is making good headway but is not the finished product yet, Mr Elliott and Mr Hasson are ahead in my book and would be my shortlist for the final.

Interesting though how decisions like these give you a reason to look up the rules, some would surprise you and it's even more surprising how quite a few of them aren't being applied correctly.

MR2 is it true that only a small minority of you and you fellow whistlers passed the referee rules test?

Surely passing this should be a prerequisite before being allowed to officiate any game, or is it still the case as a ref once told me "no one fails these tests".

I believe you can't do the championship games if you don't pass the rules test and fitness test.

It's funny how everyone can read the rules and state them (cut and paste) but when their own players commit a foul they are the quietest on the sidelines!! You couldn't make it up lol!!

The top refs in the county should get the final! Pick from CC Elliot Hasson and O'Neill....

I tend to disagree with O. Elliot as one of the best. He always manages to make the game abut himself and likes to be the centre of attention, complete opposite of what a good ref is IMO.

btdtgtt

Quote from: Usain on September 13, 2016, 12:35:12 PM
The referee has to stand his ground and show the player(s) he's in charge. It's the player who has to yield. Anything else is poor refereeing

Extremely over the top in my opinion regarding that particular series of events.

The rules also state all players must not move closer or cross the 20m line until the ball is struck, Ballycastle attackers, on each of these instances,  crossed the line before the ball was struck.  Ref was only interested in the keeper breaking the rule, when others had also offended.

Advantage was played when LW was fouled at the other end and it wasn't taken back for the free.  Footage showed it was barely two seconds, the rule is 5 seconds.

CC has youth on his side and is making good headway but is not the finished product yet, Mr Elliott and Mr Hasson are ahead in my book and would be my shortlist for the final.

Interesting though how decisions like these give you a reason to look up the rules, some would surprise you and it's even more surprising how quite a few of them aren't being applied correctly.

MR2 is it true that only a small minority of you and you fellow whistlers passed the referee rules test?

Surely passing this should be a prerequisite before being allowed to officiate any game, or is it still the case as a ref once told me "no one fails these tests".

I believe you can't do the championship games if you don't pass the rules test and fitness test.

It's funny how everyone can read the rules and state them (cut and paste) but when their own players commit a foul they are the quietest on the sidelines!! You couldn't make it up lol!!

The top refs in the county should get the final! Pick from CC Elliot Hasson and O'Neill....

I tend to disagree with O. Elliot as one of the best. He always manages to make the game abut himself and likes to be the centre of attention, complete opposite of what a good ref is IMO.

Very true on Elliot.
Although I have to say I fell a general improvement in reffing.
Certainly Cunning O'Neill and Hasson - but also McKnight from St Johns.

Minder

So Ballycastle for senior final with minor final as curtain raiser
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Usain

Quote from: btdtgtt on September 13, 2016, 12:46:27 PM
Quote from: Usain on September 13, 2016, 12:35:12 PM

Very true on Elliot.
Although I have to say I fell a general improvement in reffing.
Certainly Cunning O'Neill and Hasson - but also McKnight from St Johns.

McKnight was the name I was looking for, really impressed by him when he was reffing a game I was playing in.

Cunning, O'Neill and Hasson are the pick of the bunch but agree ref standards increasing all the time.

Hectic

Quote from: Minder on September 13, 2016, 12:48:41 PM

Will do well for me - with Dunloy out and competing teams not eligible probably the obvious choice.  Generally speaking while some were championing Cushendall for last weekends game where the pitch in Cushendall is situated it can be a busy place on a Sunday - Ballycastle while equally busy on a Sunday has the pitch located well away from the throng so as a seaside town is a preferable option for me for going to a game (that said I suppose the Cushendall traffic will probably have to come through the town but hopefully any backing up will not be right to the centre).  But regardless while we do not have a purpose built location for these games we just have to make allowances accordingly - especially getting to the venue on good time and not depending on sneaking in at the last minute when the throng has passed as I found out to my cost last year in Dunloy when road works made the thing more of a challenge than it should have been.

NAG1

Quote from: Hectic on September 13, 2016, 01:49:50 PM

Will do well for me - with Dunloy out and competing teams not eligible probably the obvious choice.  Generally speaking while some were championing Cushendall for last weekends game where the pitch in Cushendall is situated it can be a busy place on a Sunday - Ballycastle while equally busy on a Sunday has the pitch located well away from the throng so as a seaside town is a preferable option for me for going to a game (that said I suppose the Cushendall traffic will probably have to come through the town but hopefully any backing up will not be right to the centre).  But regardless while we do not have a purpose built location for these games we just have to make allowances accordingly - especially getting to the venue on good time and not depending on sneaking in at the last minute when the throng has passed as I found out to my cost last year in Dunloy when road works made the thing more of a challenge than it should have been.

Are you working for the Tourism board?  ;D

Milltown Row2

Seen a few pics of the Dunsilly site.... looking great, finishing touches... I'd imagine it will be hosting the finals from next year?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 13, 2016, 02:32:55 PM
Seen a few pics of the Dunsilly site.... looking great, finishing touches... I'd imagine it will be hosting the finals from next year?

Saw them myself MR2, looks well.

You'd hope that it'd host them.

theskull1

Where'd you here that?

County website still has a vague date between the 16th - 18th Sept

http://antrim.gaa.ie/fixtures/hurling/minor-a-hurling-championship
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

clootfromthe21

Quote from: theskull1 on September 13, 2016, 02:46:07 PM
Where'd you here that?

It's on the county twitter.

Anyone up for calling the Junior and Intermediate finals?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on September 13, 2016, 02:41:27 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 13, 2016, 02:32:55 PM

Saw them myself MR2, looks well.

You'd hope that it'd host them.

In terms of a neutral area and access from the motorway it is brilliant, get it up and running with a view to getting a stand of sorts and other things to make it better again! I know its been a long  process but its nearly ready now
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: clootfromthe21 on September 13, 2016, 02:53:40 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on September 13, 2016, 02:46:07 PM
Where'd you here that?

It's on the county twitter.

Anyone up for calling the Junior and Intermediate finals?

Yeah, I hope that St Endas make the break through to Senior.. Cloughmills have been there recently and did themselves proud, but I've a soft spot for the lads in Hightown... as for the Junior seen both teams this year and hard enough to call... going for Lamhs based on the potential they have