Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btdtgtt

Very true Hectic & PaddyJohn.

On to the games.
Corrigan for me but I expect Cushendall to kick into championship mode and pull away from Rossa.
I haven't seen enough hurling this year being away but I assume the Shams will be favoured against Ballycastle or are we giving the famine a chance to end?

NAG1

Quote from: Hectic on September 07, 2016, 10:37:22 AM
Quote from: paddyjohn on September 07, 2016, 10:26:27 AM
Pity we didn't have a county ground..

That is the very problem here - I would like to see the site at Antrim getting shifted on and to a standard that all these games could be played there - good central location for the whole county and good transport links - not sure if that is a consideration though for this development or whether it is purely a centre of excellence.

Surely this is the biggest argument for the Dunsilly project to be the main focus and forget Casement. Phase two should be a nice tidy 15/20k ground with stands plenty of facilities for families and lots of parking. This is exactly what Antrim needs for OUR games, not a behemoth that is not our own and is not fit for purpose.

Not trying to hash up the old argument but just seems to me that this is the perfect example for what we as Antrim Gaels require. Which this discussion has highlighted.

Hectic

Quote from: NAG1 on September 07, 2016, 10:47:36 AM

That is the very problem here - I would like to see the site at Antrim getting shifted on and to a standard that all these games could be played there - good central location for the whole county and good transport links - not sure if that is a consideration though for this development or whether it is purely a centre of excellence.

Surely this is the biggest argument for the Dunsilly project to be the main focus and forget Casement. Phase two should be a nice tidy 15/20k ground with stands plenty of facilities for families and lots of parking. This is exactly what Antrim needs for OUR games, not a behemoth that is not our own and is not fit for purpose.

Not trying to hash up the old argument but just seems to me that this is the perfect example for what we as Antrim Gaels require. Which this discussion has highlighted.

Yeah plus that gives us a stadium to suit our needs where atmosphere would be much better than a half empty ground for county championship games and still not too big that club championship games would be totally out of place.  But sure we all know there is a lot more to Casement than the basic needs of Antrim GAA.

paddyjohn

Spot on NAG1. We need a stadium and ground that will host these games.

MoChara

Quote from: Dunloy realist on September 07, 2016, 10:11:59 AM
Quote from: MoChara on September 07, 2016, 10:00:01 AM
What sort of precentage of the gate do the host club get anyway?
10% IIRC of the gate, which they take away with them and count. they then send you a cheque and you accept that as gospel  ::)

Haha you sound suspicious

paddyjohn

Quote from: MoChara on September 07, 2016, 11:43:45 AM
10% IIRC of the gate, which they take away with them and count. they then send you a cheque and you accept that as gospel  ::)

Any wonder?

I've heard of club waiting 6 months to a year on money they are owed.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: paddyjohn on September 07, 2016, 11:52:01 AM
Quote from: MoChara on September 07, 2016, 11:43:45 AM

Any wonder?

I've heard of club waiting 6 months to a year on money they are owed.

After what i heard Ballycastle got to compensate them for the wear and damage to their pitch for their pitch being used by the county i cast doubt on any money a club gets.

With regards to the other argument i def think its time to move on with Dunsilly and look for a pitch with a sheltered stand to hold 10-15k people - essentially an Owenbeg. Casement could be another 10 years at the rate this crap is going on and we as a county need to be looking for our own needs first and foremost

hurl like f**k boi!

Usain

100% true NAG.

We need an Owenbeg not the mess that is Casement.

NAG1

Quote from: hardstation on September 07, 2016, 12:23:55 PM
If so, why is there so much support in Antrim for Casement? Are we supporting our clubs and perhaps our county being robbed of a much needed venue?

HS just look at where the push is coming from for the new Casement - it is nearly exclusive to the Clubs. Interest groups and Community Organisations pushing now.

Those that are supporting it out of loyalty are yes in fact supporting each of us being robbed of OUR ground.

theskull1

Quote from: hardstation on September 07, 2016, 12:23:55 PM
If so, why is there so much support in Antrim for Casement? Are we supporting our clubs and perhaps our county being robbed of a much needed venue?

Don't tell me a wise fool like yourself believes the Pairc Casement PR campaign? There is no hard support that I have heard for Casement to be the venue where Antrim play their matches and county finals/semi finals are played.

There might be support for getting a stadium built for nothing but that's not a stadium that will suit Antrim
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

btdtgtt

Can we quit the Dunsilly V Casement debate.
Its irrelevant.
Casement will be built.
What Antrim think is irrelevant - it's not being build with Antrim money.
By all means support Dunsilly if you wish, but its an irrelevant argument to Casement.

hurlingstick

The problem with Glenravel is very simply that there's no elevated/sloped viewing. If you're not against the fence you're going to struggle to watch the game. Given that we only get 2 or 3 quality competitive hurling championship games a year this is a mistake. Glenravel is 100 years old this year ......is that the reason? Think I'll camp out the night before the game .....tent tight to the fence.

NAG1

Quote from: hurlingstick on September 07, 2016, 12:44:46 PM
The problem with Glenravel is very simply that there's no elevated/sloped viewing. If you're not against the fence you're going to struggle to watch the game. Given that we only get 2 or 3 quality competitive hurling championship games a year this is a mistake. Glenravel is 100 years old this year ......is that the reason? Think I'll camp out the night before the game .....tent tight to the fence.

I think it is a great reward for the club in their 100th year and no one would argue with that logic.

If that is the case though why not some temporary arrangements for the game for spectators?

Na Glinntí Glasa

Would be up to the county to provide it and cover the costs/insurances etc for the game. i have zero faith in them being able to undertake this.
hurl like f**k boi!

Hectic

What is the standard attendance for semi finals anyway - I am a terrible judge of numbers when looking at a crowd.