Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Usain

Quote from: theskull1 on August 20, 2016, 04:42:30 PM
Like everything in life, sometimes sacrifices have to be made and theres a beauty in making them. Bad job if you don't see our games as part of a social life.

At least the U21s are giving it a go as much as its plain the see the difference in standards

Player welfare Skull. I'd challenge you to ask a small population of players in your club what they would prefer? You might get a surprise. We need to look after our most important commodity, our players (Young and old!).

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Usain on August 20, 2016, 07:08:48 PM
Like everything in life, sometimes sacrifices have to be made and theres a beauty in making them. Bad job if you don't see our games as part of a social life.

At least the U21s are giving it a go as much as its plain the see the difference in standards

Player welfare Skull. I'd challenge you to ask a small population of players in your club what they would prefer? You might get a surprise. We need to look after our most important commodity, our players (Young and old!).

Player welfare??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Usain

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 20, 2016, 07:47:44 PM
Quote from: Usain on August 20, 2016, 07:08:48 PM

Player welfare??

We need to look after our players = player welfare

Leyland

Usain - what a pile of nonsense. My club after today will have played 13 games - with only 7 games on a Sunday. To sacrifice 7 Saturday nights in as well as lead up to cship is a small price for oppt of a cship.

Players going to soccer or rugby? Name me a few players we have lost to rugby??

As for soccer - anyone leaving their club to play Saturday morning soccer and no GAA isn't worth much to their club anyway. Again we have soccer in our town and I can't think of any player we have lost to soccer.

U say player welfare = looking after players. So I assume u want everyone to drink to be enjoying themselves?? That's good for a player isnt it??

I have no issue with matches not being on s Sunday - in fact a mix of wed, sat and Sunday games allows for everyone to benefit.

But use facts for a silly argument like that. I don't know many club players who don't have a social life for 9 -10 months of the year!!!

Milltown Row2

I thought he was actually concerned about players over use, and training drills being too tough and lads hitting the gym everyday on top of their club commitments.... No he's concerned that the lads need to get pissed on a Saturday night!!

By all means mix up the days, nights for playing games, but don't say player welfare and base on allowing lads to get completely shit faced at the weekends.... No player welfare in that
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Usain

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 21, 2016, 10:08:13 AM
I thought he was actually concerned about players over use, and training drills being too tough and lads hitting the gym everyday on top of their club commitments.... No he's concerned that the lads need to get pissed on a Saturday night!!

By all means mix up the days, nights for playing games, but don't say player welfare and base on allowing lads to get completely shit faced at the weekends.... No player welfare in that

Apologies, player welfare was prob the wrong choice of words. I'm definitely not trying to encourage fellas to get shit faced either.

I think Sunday's should be seen as a rest day. A day where players with young families can do exactly that, spend time with their families before going back to the weekly grind.

Games on Sunday's take up so much of the weekend because you are preparing mentally and physically from when you arrive home on Friday evening from work for that 60 mins on a Sunday afternoon. The next thing is the game is over and you might have to travel back to Belfast/NA and you realise your weekend is over without really having a chance to unwind/relax.

Usain

Quote from: Leyland on August 21, 2016, 08:39:44 AM
Usain - what a pile of nonsense. My club after today will have played 13 games - with only 7 games on a Sunday. To sacrifice 7 Saturday nights in as well as lead up to cship is a small price for oppt of a cship.

Players going to soccer or rugby? Name me a few players we have lost to rugby??

As for soccer - anyone leaving their club to play Saturday morning soccer and no GAA isn't worth much to their club anyway. Again we have soccer in our town and I can't think of any player we have lost to soccer.

U say player welfare = looking after players. So I assume u want everyone to drink to be enjoying themselves?? That's good for a player isnt it??

I have no issue with matches not being on s Sunday - in fact a mix of wed, sat and Sunday games allows for everyone to benefit.

But use facts for a silly argument like that. I don't know many club players who don't have a social life for 9 -10 months of the year!!!

Leyland, I spoke to 3 of your senior hurlers about this last week (one of which is a well established county hurler). I asked would they like league games on either Friday, Sat or Sun. All 3 said Saturday evening. This is the feedback I am getting from players. Are you a player yourself?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Usain on August 21, 2016, 11:20:56 AM

Apologies, player welfare was prob the wrong choice of words. I'm definitely not trying to encourage fellas to get shit faced either.

I think Sunday's should be seen as a rest day. A day where players with young families can do exactly that, spend time with their families before going back to the weekly grind.

Games on Sunday's take up so much of the weekend because you are preparing mentally and physically from when you arrive home on Friday evening from work for that 60 mins on a Sunday afternoon. The next thing is the game is over and you might have to travel back to Belfast/NA and you realise your weekend is over without really having a chance to unwind/relax.

Yeah I can see the point in it, has merit but like most things, clubs have so many teams to facilitate now and to give one day and a weekend day at that up would not be making full use of the pitch availability.... And besides being a dual county players not playing on the Saturday night will be up early and training on a Sunday!!!

Is priority within a club senior down or juvenile up??

Usain

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 21, 2016, 11:48:56 AM
Quote from: Usain on August 21, 2016, 11:20:56 AM

Yeah I can see the point in it, has merit but like most things, clubs have so many teams to facilitate now and to give one day and a weekend day at that up would not be making full use of the pitch availability.... And besides being a dual county players not playing on the Saturday night will be up early and training on a Sunday!!!

Is priority within a club senior down or juvenile up??

A fair point MR2, I was putting more priority behind the senior club scene. I know we could pick a lot of holes in this but this would be my weekly calendar for League activity (very high level):

Monday = Minor
Tuesday
Wednesday = Senior midweek
Thursday
Friday = U16
Saturday = Senior
Sunday

Leyland

Of course lads like Saturday evening games and I'm not saying don't play some games on a Saturday evening. However 4 of our 7 Sunday games were down team matches. You can't play them midweek and a Saturday evening double header senior & reserve wud be limited - there's always going to be a coupple of lads who work on Saturday etc.

But agree that def not all on a Sunday and I think most clubs are flexible. A bit of variation is good.

You never gave me names or numbers of players leaving GAA games to rugby or soccer!

And I'm not a current player though I used to play.

Good win for us yesterday with Dunloy match next weekend. We will need to up it big time for this. But last 2 games have been a big improvement from previous ones. Hopefully not a few weeks/months too late.

Cushendall are the team to beat, with Loughgiel there or there abouts. It's what Ballycastle turns up will determine our season.

Roll on championship season

Na Glinntí Glasa

i would agree with you there leyland, cdall def look good at the right time of the year. Lgiel have been consistent whilst not looking as good as they have been in past years.
Ourselves, well i cant see us doing much. Ill be there on Sunday backing them to the hilt but i cant give off about the players as ive seen the amount of effort they have put in this year. I just feel were lacking up front to do the damage to win us a championship. A lot of exciting young lads coming through from U16 to minor but its too early for them this year.
hurl like f**k boi!

Usain

Quote from: Leyland on August 22, 2016, 07:25:49 AM
Of course lads like Saturday evening games and I'm not saying don't play some games on a Saturday evening. However 4 of our 7 Sunday games were down team matches. You can't play them midweek and a Saturday evening double header senior & reserve wud be limited - there's always going to be a coupple of lads who work on Saturday etc.

But agree that def not all on a Sunday and I think most clubs are flexible. A bit of variation is good.

You never gave me names or numbers of players leaving GAA games to rugby or soccer!

Good win for us yesterday with Dunloy match next weekend. We will need to up it big time for this. But last 2 games have been a big improvement from previous ones. Hopefully not a few weeks/months too late.

Cushendall are the team to beat, with Loughgiel there or there abouts. It's what Ballycastle turns up will determine our season.

Leyland, more good points about the senior & senior reserve double headers. We should mix it up but try to move the majority of the games to Saturday evenings and keep those double headers for Sundays perhaps?

I have no names of players who have moved but I know a couple of guys in your club who would sometimes go to play the soccer and then a hurling match. Those comments were more directed with the dropout rates that clubs in Belfast report. I have no proof of what those players are doing but I suspect it is to play other sports? Perhaps that opinion is incorrect?

I am considering asking my club to put this proposal forward at the next county meeting. I wanted to post the idea here to see what sort of response it got. Thanks for the input.

Back to business
Your right, all depends what town team show up against Dunloy. The team appeared to have a few positional changes on Sunday, a bit worrying so close to chsip?
The full forward line looks potent, with serious pace and skill throughout.

Have to agree, dall the team to beat again.

johnneycool

Would you not get a bigger gate at a Sunday game all the same?

NAG1

Quote from: johnneycool on August 22, 2016, 12:04:14 PM

Would you not get a bigger gate at a Sunday game all the same?

I've heard and seen some rubbish talked on this board but this seems to have taken the biscuit completely.

The whole idea of our games is about family and community, I don't know of any player that doesn't see that and that would rather play their games on a Saturday evening to get out and get a few pints.

I for one think that going away from the old system of having regular Sunday games senior and senior reserve has hurt both the standard of the hurling in the county at the moment, but has also hurt the clubs in general.

Seamroga in exile

I love heading out to a game or two on a Sunday myself it has to be said. The atmosphere on a weekday or saturday game just isn't the same. Perhaps I'm just a dinosaur.  ;)
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"