Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on August 22, 2016, 01:53:14 PM
I love heading out to a game or two on a Sunday myself it has to be said. The atmosphere on a weekday or saturday game just isn't the same. Perhaps I'm just a dinosaur.  ;)

Knew at some point it would happen that we would agree on something just didnt expect it to happen so soon  ;D

Sunday games at staggered times around the county letting hurling people get to see as many as they would like too.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on August 22, 2016, 02:12:38 PM
I love heading out to a game or two on a Sunday myself it has to be said. The atmosphere on a weekday or saturday game just isn't the same. Perhaps I'm just a dinosaur.  ;)

Knew at some point it would happen that we would agree on something just didnt expect it to happen so soon  ;D

Sunday games at staggered times around the county letting hurling people get to see as many as they would like too.

As long as I get to do the early game, as I hate hanging around all day when I could be drinking....  ;D  I mean watch my club team perhaps, but at our rate I might end up getting a game!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: NAG1 on August 22, 2016, 02:12:38 PM

I always liked the double bill on a Sunday as a player and spectator, hated mid week games where you're rushing like f**k to get to the game, never have a decent warm up and straight into it.

There's now a lot less Sundays available due to the bigger intercounty calendar, but when possible a game should be played on the Sunday IMO.

Usain

Quote from: NAG1 on August 22, 2016, 12:19:33 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on August 22, 2016, 12:04:14 PM
Quote from: Leyland on August 22, 2016, 07:25:49 AM
Of course lads like Saturday evening games and I'm not saying don't play some games on a Saturday evening. However 4 of our 7 Sunday games were down team matches. You can't play them midweek and a Saturday evening double header senior & reserve wud be limited - there's always going to be a coupple of lads who work on Saturday etc.

But agree that def not all on a Sunday and I think most clubs are flexible. A bit of variation is good.

You never gave me names or numbers of players leaving GAA games to rugby or soccer!

And I'm not a current player though I used to play.

Good win for us yesterday with Dunloy match next weekend. We will need to up it big time for this. But last 2 games have been a big improvement from previous ones. Hopefully not a few weeks/months too late.

Cushendall are the team to beat, with Loughgiel there or there abouts. It's what Ballycastle turns up will determine our season.

Roll on championship season

Would you not get a bigger gate at a Sunday game all the same?

I've heard and seen some rubbish talked on this board but this seems to have taken the biscuit completely.

The whole idea of our games is about family and community, I don't know of any player that doesn't see that and that would rather play their games on a Saturday evening to get out and get a few pints.

I for one think that going away from the old system of having regular Sunday games senior and senior reserve has hurt both the standard of the hurling in the county at the moment, but has also hurt the clubs in general.

I want to get regular games NAG but would like to keep Sunday's free from club activity (a day for spending quality time with family and watching our county team). Not for the purpose of lads having pints (although I can see how it comes across).

I and other players want at least one evening and a day of their weekend where they can switch off from the now semi-professional preparation that goes into our club games. If you aren't a current player it will be hard to understand this but trust me this is what players want.

NAG1

Quote from: Usain on August 22, 2016, 03:24:41 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on August 22, 2016, 12:19:33 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on August 22, 2016, 12:04:14 PM
Quote from: Leyland on August 22, 2016, 07:25:49 AM
Of course lads like Saturday evening games and I'm not saying don't play some games on a Saturday evening. However 4 of our 7 Sunday games were down team matches. You can't play them midweek and a Saturday evening double header senior & reserve wud be limited - there's always going to be a coupple of lads who work on Saturday etc.

But agree that def not all on a Sunday and I think most clubs are flexible. A bit of variation is good.

You never gave me names or numbers of players leaving GAA games to rugby or soccer!

And I'm not a current player though I used to play.

Good win for us yesterday with Dunloy match next weekend. We will need to up it big time for this. But last 2 games have been a big improvement from previous ones. Hopefully not a few weeks/months too late.

Cushendall are the team to beat, with Loughgiel there or there abouts. It's what Ballycastle turns up will determine our season.

Roll on championship season

Would you not get a bigger gate at a Sunday game all the same?

I've heard and seen some rubbish talked on this board but this seems to have taken the biscuit completely.

The whole idea of our games is about family and community, I don't know of any player that doesn't see that and that would rather play their games on a Saturday evening to get out and get a few pints.

I for one think that going away from the old system of having regular Sunday games senior and senior reserve has hurt both the standard of the hurling in the county at the moment, but has also hurt the clubs in general.

I want to get regular games NAG but would like to keep Sunday's free from club activity (a day for spending quality time with family and watching our county team). Not for the purpose of lads having pints (although I can see how it comes across).

I and other players want at least one evening and a day of their weekend where they can switch off from the now semi-professional preparation that goes into our club games. If you aren't a current player it will be hard to understand this but trust me this is what players want.

I get what you are saying I just don't think anyone who is taking their hurling seriously would agree with you.

Anyone I know or have known wants to play their club games on a Sunday and that is all part of spending time with their family, ideal world the family would all go and watch and be around the club creating that community atmosphere into the club house for a cup of tea and a sandwich etc.

As for keeping Sundays free for watching our county team, they are finished by the start of the summer (and will be playing their CR games on Saturdays for the foreseeable future)  therefore leaving all Sundays across the summer months free for the club.

theskull1

Usain
What type of things do you and the other players like to do with your families on the Sundays you don't have a game? Sounds like a great lifestyle your living if 6 or 7 Sundays in the year is causing so much pain. Hurling is quality time for myself and my family, so I can't comment on just how good it can get if it wasn't.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Usain

Quote from: theskull1 on August 22, 2016, 04:04:58 PM

Usain
What type of things do you and the other players like to do with your families on the Sundays you don't have a game? Sounds like a great lifestyle your living if 6 or 7 Sundays in the year is causing so much pain. Hurling is quality time for myself and my family, so I can't comment on just how good it can get if it wasn't.

Its the fact that you don't have a game to prepare for and gives you a day at the weekend to rest before getting ready for two/three nights of training the following week. As a spectator, yes Sunday is ideal. As a player its very different.

I'll let the board get back to the more important discussions around cship etc. I wanted to see what peoples opinions on this were and I'm grateful for all your feedback. Thanks.

Jesusjones

Any predictions for the weekend? Any upsets likely?

theskull1

Quote from: Usain on August 22, 2016, 04:28:44 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on August 22, 2016, 04:04:58 PM

Usain

Its the fact that you don't have a game to prepare for and gives you a day at the weekend to rest before getting ready for two/three nights of training the following week. As a spectator, yes Sunday is ideal. As a player its very different.

I'll let the board get back to the more important discussions around cship etc. I wanted to see what peoples opinions on this were and I'm grateful for all your feedback. Thanks.

As a player, I loved Sunday matches. Gave a purpose to what could be a very boring day. The days rest on the the Saturday meant you had good time to prepare for the game. Never thought I was missing out on a social life by not drinking, but thats just my perspective.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Hand up

What pure Drivel Usain!! You obviously don't go to many clubs agms, every year since Jim Nelson and the 89 lads successes ruined a very vibrant County league scene, delegates have been fighting to get back to more Sunday fixtures!! My family time is going to watch the pride of the parish perform, trying to show my children how it was!! Also if it's a home match what does that take out of your day, 4 hours, and let's face it your can only go to the zoo so many times a year!! Now no more off this it's a non runner.

Usain

Quote from: Hand up on August 22, 2016, 05:53:28 PM
What pure Drivel Usain!! You obviously don't go to many clubs agms, every year since Jim Nelson and the 89 lads successes ruined a very vibrant County league scene, delegates have been fighting to get back to more Sunday fixtures!! My family time is going to watch the pride of the parish perform, trying to show my children how it was!! Also if it's a home match what does that take out of your day, 4 hours, and let's face it your can only go to the zoo so many times a year!! Now no more off this it's a non runner.

Well we have had Sunday league games for a long time and there isn't a vibrant club scene Hand up. Quite the opposite, one that's dying on its feet. That's reality. We need to try and experiment with it rather than just same old same old. This may not be the solution but we need to make changes.

btdtgtt

Heard today from a Waterford lad I work with that an Antrim player asked Aussie Gleason for his jersey to swap - at half time!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on August 22, 2016, 08:21:46 PM
Heard today from a Waterford lad I work with that an Antrim player asked Aussie Gleason for his jersey to swap - at half time!

Sure the game was over then FFS
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

Sambo,Woody, Pappy &  Pedan to stay on as management. Good shout

Antrim Coaster

Is that definite.Are they not part of a team tasked to recommend a new hurling manager?