Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizzy15

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 28, 2016, 09:06:22 AM
The munster final was a serious standard. Waterford won by a bit but in saying that Gleeson lorded it and should have been sent off in the first half for striking. It wasn't much of a strike mind you but still a strike. That waterford team is seriously strong.

Is Christy McNaughton not u21? Where is McMullan from - he loughgiel?

Christy played, came on as a sub i think.

btdtgtt

The munster final was a serious standard. Waterford won by a bit but in saying that Gleeson lorded it and should have been sent off in the first half for striking. It wasn't much of a strike mind you but still a strike. That waterford team is seriously strong.

Waterford have a wealth of talent on the conveyor belt - the current crop at senior is just the beginning. The big factor will be if the belief of underage (and league) can bridge the gap to capture Liam McCarthy.

Quote from: paddyjohn on July 28, 2016, 09:28:55 AM
I left at half time. Awful dire stuff.
Quote from: Gizzy15 on July 28, 2016, 09:38:17 AM

Quote from: Gizzy15 on July 28, 2016, 09:38:17 AM

NAG1

Where did the conveyor belt start?

Schools.....

imtommygunn

Presumably clubs... That KK school seem to be the dominant one but it doesn't seem that often these days they win u21.(they won 5 of the last 7 u21) KK probably do well at minor more but they haven't been cleaning up and it certainly seems to be munster teams, occasionally galway, winning the u21.

Mind you it has had little bearing on senior thus far.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Damon McMullan is from Loughgiel. Tidy corner back esp under the dropping ball.

Is Eoghan Campbell and Ryan McCambridge not U21 as well? Christy wasnt listed as one of the subs, maybe im wrong.

Severe lack of interest in the county team in general. Its a pity as there was a decent crowd there to watch the game.

Paddyjohn i wouldnt blame you for leaving as it was pretty poor. i went home and watched the end of our senior footballers game and it was better entertainment in the 20mins i was there than that whole match.
hurl like f**k boi!

theskull1

Quote from: Dunloy realist on July 28, 2016, 10:36:07 AM
Severe lack of interest in the county team in general. Its a pity as there was a decent crowd there to watch the game.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=27219.0

QuoteAnd it's not the fault of managers. Counties demand success and they react accordingly; but the going rate now for an intercounty player is total commitment to a project that eats your time and isolates you socially.
That's fine if you have realistic September or late August expectations but it can be seen how players with less successful counties are deciding there is no incentive to embrace such asceticism.

In the strong counties the have a stronger interest right across their counties population to the degree that its beneficial to have top county players working for you. Thats a big incentive for the top players to commit to the degree that they have to to compete at the top level. This of course is over and above the sheer enjoyment of playing intense matches in packed stadiums.

Sad to say that its easy to understand why IC participation isn't the be all and end all for people who love the game in this neck of the woods.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

paddyjohn

Is Eoghan Campbell and Ryan McCambridge not U21 as well? Christy wasnt listed as one of the subs, maybe im wrong.

Paddyjohn i wouldnt blame you for leaving as it was pretty poor. i went home and watched the end of our senior footballers game and it was better entertainment in the 20mins i was there than that whole match.

High enough scoring going by the result on the website, that must be Dunloy safe now.

Na Glinntí Glasa

one more game should keep us up, home to Tir Na nOg, win it and we will be safe. Be a good end to a tough first year back up in Div2.
hurl like f**k boi!

paddyjohn

Quote from: Dunloy realist on July 28, 2016, 01:50:26 PM
one more game should keep us up, home to Tir Na nOg, win it and we will be safe. Be a good end to a tough first year back up in Div2.

Aye, it's competitive. Sarsfields more or less away.

Sorry for clogging up the Hurling board lads

Brocky

Ryan mc c is away I think. Eoghan c isn't u21 and christy came on as a sub.
Wee Betty was good when brought out to the middle

theskull1

Good win for ourselves in the Darragh Cup final against the town. Nothing for 20+ years at minor A and now that's 2 on the bounce.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Last Man

Quote from: theskull1 on July 29, 2016, 11:59:34 PM
Good win for ourselves in the Darragh Cup final against the town. Nothing for 20+ years at minor A and now that's 2 on the bounce.
Well done Dunloy, certainly no fluke. Hope the boys bring a bit of heat to the senior panel now.

btdtgtt

Quote from: NAG1 on July 28, 2016, 10:15:44 AM

Schools.....

The approach to hurling in schools north & south is black and white but it's more complex than that.
- parents encourage kids/pupils
- coaches assigned from county not left to teachers
- funding from external sources
- meaningful competitions
The days of hero teachers driving hurling are no longer possible as their hands have been tied - it's a bigger picture now. The dynamic in schools have changed towards sports provision - hurling has not changed to take account of this.

Last Man

Quote from: btdtgtt on July 30, 2016, 09:14:08 AM

Schools.....

The approach to hurling in schools north & south is black and white but it's more complex than that.
The days of hero teachers driving hurling are no longer possible as their hands have been tied - it's a bigger picture now. The dynamic in schools have changed towards sports provision - hurling has not changed to take account of this.

Last Man

Quote from: Last Man on July 30, 2016, 09:24:54 AM
Quote from: btdtgtt on July 30, 2016, 09:14:08 AM

Schools.....

A friend of mine on the board of governors of a North Belfast catchment school constantly laments the lack of interest by teachers in taking hurling and football teams. Most of them former players themselves. As any teacher who has had a job in the real world will tell you, for many of them it's a part time occupation where they manipulate the system to suit themselves. They have no concept of a days work.
Despite encouragement from the principal they simply can't be arsed. If CB bolstered by clubs dont step in, colleges hurling is on the decline,but with already stretched funds how sustainable is that..
Unless there is a dream team coming through of course, they'd all want into that photograph.