Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: NAG1 on February 05, 2016, 12:29:43 PM
Very quiet on here day before an AISF or has everyone decided to go to the conference instead  ;)

Good Luck to all involved.

Up Cushendall!

north_antrim_hound

Good luck to the dall if they hurl for 60 minutes this time they will make it
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Dreen

230 signed up for the conference so its not all doom and gloom.  I have attended a few ulster conferences and always found them to be very good.  I find it laughable to see people on here spouting about it being in cookstown, its has been there a few times and its in mid ulster for an ulster event.  There is no doubt that the clash with the Cushendall game is not ideal but its better to see them running the event this year as all hurling than just lob abit it in alongside a football orientated one.

NAG1

Quote from: Dreen on February 05, 2016, 01:55:53 PM
230 signed up for the conference so its not all doom and gloom.  I have attended a few ulster conferences and always found them to be very good.  I find it laughable to see people on here spouting about it being in cookstown, its has been there a few times and its in mid ulster for an ulster event.  There is no doubt that the clash with the Cushendall game is not ideal but its better to see them running the event this year as all hurling than just lob abit it in alongside a football orientated one.

Thanks for that, but from a hurling perspective it is laughable (if it wasnt actually insulting) both the timing and the location of the conference.

Like or not the hurling heartland in Ulster in with in Antrim and more specifically within NA, that is where the hurling environment is. So IMO you Mohammed to the mountain not the other way around.

Dreen

i will agree to disagree, if they want to develop Hurling in the province i cant see how holding a conference where it is held almost every year being an issue. A parochial attitude like that about North Antrim is why there will never be much development across the province IMO. Strong hurling needs to be based on strong hurling clubs and schools across Ulster not just a in NA, Belfast and South Derry. Im a football man admittedly but i want to see development of all games and i think people are quick to gripe yet not so quick to change it themselves.

NAG1

Quote from: Dreen on February 05, 2016, 02:27:37 PM
i will agree to disagree, if they want to develop Hurling in the province i cant see how holding a conference where it is held every almost every year being an issue. A parochial attitude like that about North Antrim is why there will never be much development across the province IMO. Strong hurling needs to be based on strong hurling clubs and schools across Ulster not just a in NA, Belfast and South Derry. Im a football man admittedly but i want to see development of all games and i think peole are quick to gripe yet not so quick to change it themselves.

There will never be this until we have a provincial body who are actually interested in promoting the game and not just paying it lip service.

Until then, the driving force of hurling development is within Antrim and North Antrim taking the lead at the moment. Call it parochial or whatever you like but when the driving force is coming from a certain area despite the lack of investment and interest from those in paid roles then I am more inclined to look to this driving force for direction and leadership than a provincial board ticking a box putting a conference on for window dressing.

Dreen

i don't dispute the work going on in North Antrim at all, it is excellent but i just do not see a problem with this conference apart from the clash of date.  The appetite for hurling isn't enough in the other areas of the province and i am sure some football clubs would hate the though a hurling team starting but you have to start somewhere.  The people from the lesser counties who do care for hurling will gain something from this i think, and i would guess that this conference is pointed at them rather than people who are undoubtedly a long way ahead in Antrim.

If i were organising Saturday at the minute id have the Cushendall on big screen in the main room in the Glenavon and show people what a hurling hotbed can breed.

I can agree with you on some points, its not exactly a bed of roses when it comes to investment and backing being a football man in SW antrim either.

johnneycool

Quote from: Dreen on February 05, 2016, 02:55:09 PM
i don't dispute the work going on in North Antrim at all, it is excellent but i just do not see a problem with this conference apart from the clash of date.  The appetite for hurling isn't enough in the other areas of the province and i am sure some football clubs would hate the though a hurling team starting but you have to start somewhere.  The people from the lesser counties who do care for hurling will gain something from this i think, and i would guess that this conference is pointed at them rather than people who are undoubtedly a long way ahead in Antrim.

If i were organising Saturday at the minute id have the Cushendall on big screen in the main room in the Glenavon and show people what a hurling hotbed can breed.

I can agree with you on some points, its not exactly a bed of roses when it comes to investment and backing being a football man in SW antrim either.

Why's it not held in Belfast, a hour or so's drive for most who'd be interested in attending.

Cookstown is over a two hours drive from our place.

Two Hands FFS

Belfast would have been the place for it.

Dreen

They had it in templepatrick 2 years ago so I don't know what deals they do but cookstown is in Mid Ulster so I'd say they prefer it taking in those who travel from the west. 

Seamroga in exile

Good luck to the Ruairi ogs for tomorrow. I could use an excuse to get to Dublin on St Patrick'S day.  ;)
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Well

Good Luck Ruairi Ogs!

Sleeping giant

Good luck Ruairi Ogs. 
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on February 05, 2016, 06:49:36 PM
Good luck to the Ruairi ogs for tomorrow. I could use an excuse to get to Dublin on St Patrick'S day.  ;)
Can't stretch to the first part of your post but a few pints on St Patrick's Day would be nice!

keep her low this half

Good luck to the ruaris and Coleraine this weekend