Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Na Glinntí Glasa

Anyone read todays irish news back page yet?

Dublin county received more funding for Games Development last year than the whole of Ulster. The county got 1.46m euro while Ulster got 1.27m euro in funding.

You look even further and antrim county (the second largest population behind dublin) received 47,400 euro.

Laois received 81,800 euro in games dev funding as their county had been identified as 5 counties to have the potential at competing at Liam McCarthy level - this 5 didnt include Antrim, Carlow, Westmeath and Offaly for any funding.
hurl like f**k boi!

NAG1

Quote from: Dunloy realist on February 03, 2016, 09:29:06 AM

Dublin county received more funding for Games Development last year than the whole of Ulster. The county got 1.46m euro while Ulster got 1.27m euro in funding.

You look even further and antrim county (the second largest population behind dublin) received 47,400 euro.

Laois received 81,800 euro in games dev funding as their county had been identified as 5 counties to have the potential at competing at Liam McCarthy level - this 5 didnt include Antrim, Carlow, Westmeath and Offaly for any funding.

All valid points, but what do you expect from Ulster Council?

The UC continually show their attitude toward hurling within the province and this is not a typical hurling person gripe, the latest evidence of this is the Conference this weekend.

How to develop hurling in Ulster - Any hurling person that I know within Ulster that has a genuine interest will be travelling to Navan to watch the Semi Final. The biggest day for club hurling and they bang a conference in on the same day.

Now dont get me wrong the conference is a lovely idea and looks to have some decent content, but here is the rub, whats the panic for it?
We all know the dates for the club hurling semi finals, first or second weekend in Feb every year without fail. So why not block out these two dates and go any other weekend?

Seriously the more I think about this the angrier I get, these are our paid officers and officials and this is the respect that they show to us as hurling gaels. Simply not good enough.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Sleeping giant on February 03, 2016, 12:40:27 AM
Not in the slightest.  Just an opinion. Didn't think he should be bringing up a certain player for whatever reason. Young or old.  For 99/100 it only brings the best out of whoever is in question. That sort of chat should have been kept for the dressing room if he believes it to be a weakness. Other than that, it wasn't as bad as my first read. Only my opinion    Not having a go.  Move on.

Agree
Not quite as bad as dinny in 04 v cork but best to keep your powder dry
That sarsfield team is gonna be hard to crack
Kevin Hynes is in the full back line so no point in pumping ball in there regardless of the othe cornerbacks age
Young cooney, noel morriseys kid and kerril wade up front
They are sprinkled with county panellist and a lot of players who have minor and u21 all Ireland hurling medals
I still think the dall can beat them and will be cheering them on
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

cfclg

Quote from: NAG1 on February 03, 2016, 09:37:54 AM

All valid points, but what do you expect from Ulster Council?

The UC continually show their attitude toward hurling within the province and this is not a typical hurling person gripe, the latest evidence of this is the Conference this weekend.

How to develop hurling in Ulster - Any hurling person that I know within Ulster that has a genuine interest will be travelling to Navan to watch the Semi Final. The biggest day for club hurling and they bang a conference in on the same day.

Now dont get me wrong the conference is a lovely idea and looks to have some decent content, but here is the rub, whats the panic for it?
We all know the dates for the club hurling semi finals, first or second weekend in Feb every year without fail. So why not block out these two dates and go any other weekend?

Seriously the more I think about this the angrier I get, these are our paid officers and officials and this is the respect that they show to us as hurling gaels. Simply not good enough.

100% agree NAG. Complete madness. I, like many others would attend this conf if it didn't clash with one of the biggest club games of the year!

Na Glinntí Glasa

At our club meeting on Monday night this conference was mentioned and the first thing that was said was 'what idiot organised that the same day as the cdall match?'.

Like most people i will be watching the match on sat, i cant make it on sat down to Navan so the tv will suffice.

As others pointed out, the date for the game was set, they all knew what weekend it was yet they still ploughed on ahead, to suit themselves. It looks a great day and i was going to head down to it. Paudie Butler alone is well worth listening to as ive attended his sessions before and i dont doubt the rest will all offer a lot of good information.

The UC has to do more other that pay lip service to hurling and so do the individual county boards themselves. The cavan co board have to take a look at themselves for allowing there to be no hurling representation at adult level. That alone should have the UC on alert to look and see what can be done.
hurl like f**k boi!

btdtgtt

Based on playing population / club membership (ie) per capita - this funding is easily justifiable by the top brass.
In fact, it has been consistently justified on this basis.

I agree this notion that someone's opinion can "identifying counties" is outrageous. In terms of securing funding - it's about Antrm & Ulster putting definitive plans together - costing and justifying them - then applying for specific funding for them. It cannot be just a begging bowl assuming money will lead to progress.

Sleeping giant

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on February 03, 2016, 09:56:50 AM
Quote from: Sleeping giant on February 03, 2016, 12:40:27 AM
Not in the slightest.  Just an opinion. Didn't think he should be bringing up a certain player for whatever reason. Young or old.  For 99/100 it only brings the best out of whoever is in question. That sort of chat should have been kept for the dressing room if he believes it to be a weakness. Other than that, it wasn't as bad as my first read. Only my opinion    Not having a go.  Move on.

Agree
Not quite as bad as dinny in 04 v cork but best to keep your powder dry
That sarsfield team is gonna be hard to crack
Kevin Hynes is in the full back line so no point in pumping ball in there regardless of the othe cornerbacks age
Young cooney, noel morriseys kid and kerril wade up front
They are sprinkled with county panellist and a lot of players who have minor and u21 all Ireland hurling medals
I still think the dall can beat them and will be cheering them on
they'll take beating. Everyone does at this stage,  I believe Cdall will be in the final.
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: btdtgtt on February 03, 2016, 11:25:32 AM

Based on playing population / club membership (ie) per capita - this funding is easily justifiable by the top brass.
In fact, it has been consistently justified on this basis.

I agree this notion that someone's opinion can "identifying counties" is outrageous. In terms of securing funding - it's about Antrm & Ulster putting definitive plans together - costing and justifying them - then applying for specific funding for them. It cannot be just a begging bowl assuming money will lead to progress.

Sorry btdtgtt i was reposting a few snippets from the Irish News there.

I do agree with your points though what the gaa top brass dont take into account is the break down of the population of Antrim in their arguments for the funding. what they dont take in mind is 80% of the population f the county would rather walk on glass that even attend a GAA match and of the 20% left less than half are involved in the GAA.

Most clubs dont have a big membership anyway. Ours is about 120 for camogie and just over 320 for male non and playing members. Thats not exactly massive in terms of some of the dublin clubs who have over 1000 in their numbers.
hurl like f**k boi!

NAG1

Does it mention what proportion of the GPO are paid directly by clubs?

Or is it just an overall number within Dublin?

btdtgtt

Yes I agree DR.
I suppose we're not much different to other sports regarding the re-distribution of fund - often hear the soccer crowd talking about TV money etc.
There's definitely a perception Dublin is favoured - despite how it can be justified in terms of numbers.
And definitely smaller numbers in Antrim!
I said before I've no idea why some people try to compare Dublin & Belfast for in GAA terms - they have next to nothing in common!

One point on finance however - I would much rather seen every penny put into "promoting" hurling abroad - put into counties like Antrim. This idea of internationonal-ising our games is nothing more than junkets, ego-trips and vanity projects. All while clubs at home struggle to make ends meet.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Its an easy get out clause for the top brass in the GAA as to why Dublin get so much money.

Come championship they get home games all the time and we hear the same tired argument each year that all those counties love the chance to get playing at croke park - aye thats great if you play in the Leinster championship!!

They need to start distributing the money more evenly and not based on who has more. The idea of the GAA is to spread the wealth to all the clubs in Ireland not to aid those counties who have a better step up than others more handsomely.
hurl like f**k boi!

btdtgtt

Quote from: Dunloy realist on February 03, 2016, 05:19:11 PM
Its an easy get out clause for the top brass in the GAA as to why Dublin get so much money.

Come championship they get home games all the time and we hear the same tired argument each year that all those counties love the chance to get playing at croke park - aye thats great if you play in the Leinster championship!!

They need to start distributing the money more evenly and not based on who has more. The idea of the GAA is to spread the wealth to all the clubs in Ireland not to aid those counties who have a better step up than others more handsomely.

That's the elephant in the room also.
As you say - Dublin or whoever else packing out Croke Park should be redistributed amongst clubs around Ireland.
The reality is that the club & county games are now so far apart they are almost separate organisations.
What once stood clubs - now we have county development squads. This is where the cash goes - not to the clubs. And invariably the county executives actually distribute their money top heavy - that's is to their senior team (celebrity managers!) rather than underage.
The foundation of the Gaa in the clubs is being neglected - peel away the glossy commercial side of croke park big days - and the structure isn't as sound as it used to be.
I fear the gaa like rugby will reap what we sow - and the club scene withers.
The difference here is that gaa is much more critical to Irish society that rugby!

Na Glinntí Glasa

Antrim is prob the exception to the rule whereas the club is more important than the county. Areas like Cdall, Lgiel, Dunloy, etc life revolves around the club. There is nothing else in those areas that means more than the GAA club.

I was in a Lgiel mans house last night for a work matter and we talked work for about 5mins and spent the next hour or so trying to debate and sort out the rights and wrongs of antrim hurling!( lol suffice to say nothing was sorted)but thats all people in areas like that care of, the club.

The county comes a poor second and you find that the majority of antrim gaels dont really worry about the fact were in Div 4 in football and 2a for hurling.

The gap is becoming bigger in some counties between club and county - more so in favour of the county (Depending on the code). It prob why hurling in Ulster is so poor out side of antrim, down and derry. Those counties are top heavy in favour of county football first and foremost.
hurl like f**k boi!

north_antrim_hound

All valid points, apparently if you do the maths Dublin gets 18 times more in funding than antrim
But how much more revenue do they pull in compared to Antrim
I think you can't be to judgemental to we study the intire  balance sheet

Over 30,000 at their first home league  match WOW

sure they don't need it as much as they have the population and resources to generate private funding way beyond any other county

Is Bernie eccelstone in charge down there

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

NAG1

Very quiet on here day before an AISF or has everyone decided to go to the conference instead  ;)

Good Luck to all involved.