Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurlingstick

Sharing someone got game time on the world wide Web then acting discreet about it.

Milltown Row2

Great info.... That should make the difference this Saturday... Tut tut guys... I wonder who'll we get in the semi's
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 25, 2015, 07:48:00 PM
Great info.... That should make the difference this Saturday... Tut tut guys... I wonder who'll we get in the semi's

I think that draw was your karma for last year MR2!

Anyone want to declare their hand with predictions for the games?
I'm going to corrigan myself - looking forward to it!

Milltown Row2

I'm in Dublin for a works do on Friday and staying over but hoped to get back for the games.... Wonder will wife allow me to be completely in the sauce Friday and watch games Saturday and Sunday! Be grand  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

getevennotcross

Quote from: Sleeping giant on August 24, 2015, 02:38:27 PM
Been reading this all last week. Geteven your still a fool.  As for the U21s.  Fair play to the lads that showed up. They tried there best and reading the papers the week before. It wasn't a game I'd say many were looking forward to.  So I tip the hat to the lads that showed up.    See on the social network a young lad being proud of the result. "Better than last year". Maybe not to much between the ears.  Still the same result young fella  :o
Takes a wise man to play the fool SG, believe me.  You shouldn't get caught up in impetious and reactionary respones to comments made here, just a bit of fun and banter, but some feel the need to take matters to extremes.  Some think they are world changers, game changers, but if truth be known they are in dire need of a nappy change.

With my liberal views on matters, I wouldn't take all you read or hear on here too seriously, on the contrary SG I'd be more inclined to take such things with a pinch of salt.  Having said that of course, you do have some of the more renowned disreptuable, devious, manipualtive, self serving shysters who engage in such rantings purely as a result of fuelling their self belief in their own importance.  I must say I have never subscribed such things. I'm a firm believer we will all be judged and remembered on the good we do for others, and not which we do for ourselves and unquenchable egos.

Why does Antrim  evidently appear to have more of the Ego trippers, wannabees and spineless wasters more than most other counties? Now there is a topic for considerable debate! 

Must get back to work, serious coin to be made working at night overseas.

getevennotcross

Quote from: theskull1 on August 25, 2015, 12:12:56 PM
Quote from: Gizzy15 on August 25, 2015, 09:20:10 AM
What constitutes real hurling? if your more defensive minded is it a crime? I think finding a way to beat or limit damage against a team perceived to be much better is as much part of the game as sending out a 15 on 15 scenario, as is taking points from distance as opposed to working the ball into the corner and shooting from inside the scoring zone. Hurling has rules regarding conduct and Contact but not how you line out after the ball is threw in, that is up to the team and its manager and how they can plot their progression. to the hurling purists on this board who feel that this shouldn't be part of the game I think your snobbery would be severely tested when faced with the circumstances that faced an under power Antrim team on Saturday. if Dunloy, Shams, Dall or heaven forbid Jonnies were to make St Paddys day final and faced Ballyhale would it then become ok to drop a man or two back during periods of the game to limit space around TJ, Sheff, Fennellys and Cha, I for one who loves to see open hurling wouldn't want to see my team leave too much space around those boys to exploit.

Loughgiel or anyone else shouldn't and wouldn't be going down south to play in an All Ireland final to limit damage. They'd be going down with a plan to limit the threat yes but with an attacking plan aimed at beating the opposition. If all you're interested in is limiting damage with no obvious interest in offering the right amount of attacking threat, you given up before the ball's thrown in. That didn't sit well with me. Id rather they gave the forwards the opportunity to take Wexford on a bit even if it meant a higher score line. They might have benefited more in the long run from giving it a go. Not saying they shouldn't have had A defensive plan to suffocate space but by being uber defensive the took away any real threat up front and looked happy to just keep it away from a pasting. The backs would have had a harder day at the office sure! with less men back there, but is that not an opportunity to learn and at least get that from the game? I fail to see what positives Antrim can take from that game on Saturday? Its was a different type of humiliation than a hammering, but it was humiliation none the less in my eyes. Each to their own. Nothing to do with hurling snobbery, just a different perspective.
I have to whole heartedly agree with you (theskull1) the very essence of our game is to attack. With or without the Johnstons, it would have been good for some of the more capable young cubs to go out and express theselves with unshackled belief and drive to make a valid positive impression, despite the result. 

I'm a firm believer in: if you attack and shoot you score, if you attack, shoot and score you increase your capacity to win.

If you defend: your not shooting , if your not shooting your not scoring, if your not shooting your not even hitting wides.  At least if your attacking, shooting, scoring and even hitting wides, on greater scale of things you are potentially going to score more than the defensive strategy. 

Half backs stop the ball, feed inside and 3/4s forwards, high return rate on scores.  Defensive play:  keeper, full backs and half backs clear their lines,  wheres Sahanan, Gleason, DeBurca???  Surrounded, swamped  by opposing defence.  Galway on the otherhand kept tagging on the points with frequent and persistent attacking.  Where does the CB want me to sign??

Hirty Darry

Weekend Predictions (SHC)

Cushendall by 12+
Loughgiel by anything they want 25+
Dunloy by 15+
Rossa to narrowly beat Ballycastle (may be controversial but it will happen!)

IHC - Carey to beat Cloughmills (lot of people think this will be the other way around - I disagree) and Creggan to beat Gorts
JHC - St Teresas & Rasharkin (least confident of my selections as I know very little about this level)

Any thoughts anyone?

hurlingstick

Quote from: Hirty Darry on August 26, 2015, 09:41:47 AM

Cushendall by 12+
Dunloy by 15+

IHC - Carey to beat Cloughmills (lot of people think this will be the other way around - I disagree) and Creggan to beat Gorts
JHC - St Teresas & Rasharkin (least confident of my selections as I know very little about this level)

Any thoughts anyone?

Rossa won't beat Ballycastle.

johnneycool

Quote from: Hirty Darry on August 26, 2015, 09:41:47 AM

Cushendall by 12+
Dunloy by 15+

Any thoughts anyone?

Creggan couldn't get a team to travel to us on Sunday, so you'd wonder what way they'll be fixed this weekend!!!
8)

Na Glinntí Glasa

Cushendall by 10. The dall will have too much in them for the Johnies
Loughgiel by a lot. Sadly for St Galls it will end up in double figures
Dunloy by hopefully enough to win it! I would be very disappointed if we didnt win.
Rossa by 1 point. im the same as Hirty Darry and think Ballycastle will implode again.
hurl like f**k boi!

theskull1

Quote from: Dunloy realist on August 26, 2015, 11:34:45 AM

Dunloy by hopefully enough to win it! I would be very disappointed if we didnt win.
Rossa by 1 point. im the same as Hirty Darry and think Ballycastle will implode again.

Ballycastle will beat Rossa
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

cfclg

Quote from: theskull1 on August 26, 2015, 12:22:28 PM

I'm going to throw it out there. I think the town have turned a corner and will make a final appearance this year. Honestly

BlacknAmber

Quote from: cfclg on August 26, 2015, 12:32:14 PM

I'm going to throw it out there. I think the town have turned a corner and will make a final appearance this year. Honestly

Here's hoping!  ;)

NAG1

+1

btdtgtt

No doubt which game has the result most up for grabs then - I agree it's the pick of the round.
Really looking forward to it now!
Anyone any ideas about either team in/outs or  how  it  might pan out?
I'm looking at Rossa trying to replicate the feel-good winning strategy from intermediate - while ballycastle will rely on their main players experience at senior level.
Games like this need a team to set the tone from the start - after that it can come down to who took a goal chance or hit more wides.
Strangely I think both teams I have more to lose than gain in this fixture.
A loss for Rossa question if they have made the step back to senior and for ballycastle it would beg the question if their comeback is ever coming.