Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aontroim abu

Quote from: ManInBlackandGreen on August 25, 2015, 07:01:58 AM
New County Chairman race hots up at last,  see the county money men backing allegedly J Donnelly St Johns, wee J may struggle with that one, X chosen one Ray M also throwing his whistle in the ring, now all we need is a new County secretary and job done, what ya say GETEVEN?

WRONG - should that not be Garrett Duffy?????? Heard a few months back he was campaigning for vice chair against another ex ref Terry Reilly. Also heard Jackie Kelly would be running

Gizzy15

What constitutes real hurling? if your more defensive minded is it a crime? I think finding a way to beat or limit damage against a team perceived to be much better is as much part of the game as sending out a 15 on 15 scenario, as is taking points from distance as opposed to working the ball into the corner and shooting from inside the scoring zone. Hurling has rules regarding conduct and Contact but not how you line out after the ball is threw in, that is up to the team and its manager and how they can plot their progression. to the hurling purists on this board who feel that this shouldn't be part of the game I think your snobbery would be severely tested when faced with the circumstances that faced an under power Antrim team on Saturday. if Dunloy, Shams, Dall or heaven forbid Jonnies were to make St Paddys day final and faced Ballyhale would it then become ok to drop a man or two back during periods of the game to limit space around TJ, Sheff, Fennellys and Cha, I for one who loves to see open hurling wouldn't want to see my team leave too much space around those boys to exploit.

culchie11

Quote from: ManInBlackandGreen on August 25, 2015, 07:01:58 AM
New County Chairman race hots up at last,  see the county money men backing allegedly J Donnelly St Johns, wee J may struggle with that one, X chosen one Ray M also throwing his whistle in the ring, now all we need is a new County secretary and job done, what ya say GETEVEN?

Still 3 months until county convention mibag, so along time yet until race hots up as u say!!
i wudnt have ray m or duffy near county exec as they r a pair together who going on past performances like to make things up & lay it on thick!

sure duffy openly criticised the one committee he was involved with & jumped ship instead of sticking around & making things happen and change them for the better as he seen it. is this really someone we want on county board in any position, when it is all about ones ego.
same for ray m, he started up a new association for officials, does it still exist???

hardly county chair material from either of them.

btdtgtt

Garrett Duffy. Ray Matthews.
Is that for real?
What clubs are the even involved with now let alone who would support them?

I think I will stick with shoebox and look at the hurling for my own sanity.

theskull1

Quote from: Gizzy15 on August 25, 2015, 09:20:10 AM
What constitutes real hurling? if your more defensive minded is it a crime? I think finding a way to beat or limit damage against a team perceived to be much better is as much part of the game as sending out a 15 on 15 scenario, as is taking points from distance as opposed to working the ball into the corner and shooting from inside the scoring zone. Hurling has rules regarding conduct and Contact but not how you line out after the ball is threw in, that is up to the team and its manager and how they can plot their progression. to the hurling purists on this board who feel that this shouldn't be part of the game I think your snobbery would be severely tested when faced with the circumstances that faced an under power Antrim team on Saturday. if Dunloy, Shams, Dall or heaven forbid Jonnies were to make St Paddys day final and faced Ballyhale would it then become ok to drop a man or two back during periods of the game to limit space around TJ, Sheff, Fennellys and Cha, I for one who loves to see open hurling wouldn't want to see my team leave too much space around those boys to exploit.

Loughgiel or anyone else shouldn't and wouldn't be going down south to play in an All Ireland final to limit damage. They'd be going down with a plan to limit the threat yes but with an attacking plan aimed at beating the opposition. If all you're interested in is limiting damage with no obvious interest in offering the right amount of attacking threat, you given up before the ball's thrown in. That didn't sit well with me. Id rather they gave the forwards the opportunity to take Wexford on a bit even if it meant a higher score line. They might have benefited more in the long run from giving it a go. Not saying they shouldn't have had A defensive plan to suffocate space but by being uber defensive the took away any real threat up front and looked happy to just keep it away from a pasting. The backs would have had a harder day at the office sure! with less men back there, but is that not an opportunity to learn and at least get that from the game? I fail to see what positives Antrim can take from that game on Saturday? Its was a different type of humiliation than a hammering, but it was humiliation none the less in my eyes. Each to their own. Nothing to do with hurling snobbery, just a different perspective.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Hirty Darry

Did Loughgiel play a sweeper on Sat/Sun past against Henry and the boys SIE?  :)

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Hirty Darry on August 25, 2015, 12:58:19 PM
Did Loughgiel play a sweeper on Sat/Sun past against Henry and the boys SIE?  :)
I couldn't tell you.  ;)
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

wino

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on August 24, 2015, 08:01:47 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 24, 2015, 03:35:36 PM
Quote from: wino on August 24, 2015, 01:46:40 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 24, 2015, 01:32:19 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on August 24, 2015, 01:18:45 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on August 24, 2015, 11:07:46 AM
It was probably the most negative game I have ever seen, it wasn't a great spectacle

http://www.the42.ie/jj-doyle-wexford-antrim-2-2288646-Aug2015/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Not much to disagree with. Damage limitations maybe saves reputations but makes for poor fare.

Dont think KR had much choice other than to go ultra defensive.

It's not pretty but in some cases it's all you've got, losing by 30 points and playing the open 15 on 15 won't win you any admirers.... It gives the southerners the usual sound bite, "aye the have it hard up there and keep it going" fecking crap....

Knowing your strengths and weaknesses, that's what happened at the weekend, left with no option but to take defeat but at least be competitive, 5 points down in first half was a good showing he's only gurning cause he didn't know how to beat that system...

We are playing Loughgiel on Sunday, if I were manager (again) I'd be playing a sweeper system, 4 half backs, but would still need two quality forwards with pace to win wide balls that would hopefully be placed by the spare man... now you can't always win these games but if you stay close enough and tag on frees and nick a goal then anything can happen, am I defensive? yes but only against certain teams, horses for courses

MR2, that's a real defensive solution. If you turn up on sunday you'll definitely be beaten!

Did you see the result this year against yas? 8-26 or something!!! Now I'm not the sharpest tool in the box but ffs!!!  ;D
Aye. Yas had a gather up that evening mr2. No mcgourtys or Stewart playing. Yous will get the respect you deserve.
Mr2 the defensive solution I was talking about is the match is on Saturday not sunday'

Hirty Darry

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on August 25, 2015, 01:13:23 PM
I couldn't tell you.  ;)

Was it a draw? Some result if that was the case.  Antrim SHC should be a breeze ...

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Hirty Darry on August 25, 2015, 01:26:24 PM
I couldn't tell you.  ;)

Was it a draw? Some result if that was the case.  Antrim SHC should be a breeze ...
it finished a draw. importantly neilly, winker and Benny got game time.

Na Glinntí Glasa

championship favs for def now after that result and them 3 playing. :D
hurl like f**k boi!

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Dunloy realist on August 25, 2015, 02:15:02 PM
championship favs for def now after that result and them 3 playing. :D
the dall are the team to beat.

hurlingstick

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on August 25, 2015, 02:09:41 PM
I couldn't tell you.  ;)

Where did Neily get game time? Surely not full back as Tony has been immense.

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: hurlingstick on August 25, 2015, 04:53:28 PM
I couldn't tell you.  ;)

I suppose we'll find out at the weekend.  ;)

Sleeping giant

Quote from: hurlingstick on August 25, 2015, 04:53:28 PM
I couldn't tell you.  ;)

corner forward.  Scored 3:05 of his left
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.