Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

It has always been a a strange stroke.. Never played it but been on the end of a few... With the game soo quick now if you haven't got your stick in the right position to protect yourself then you'll get a whack...

Bummer for the lad leading up to championship ...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on August 11, 2015, 10:13:31 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on August 11, 2015, 09:51:55 AM
See our corner back Adam has a broken bone (or two) in the hand after Sundays game. It happens sure and was on the ball ... but I was struck by (what I consider) the intent of his opponent in the minutes before he got the blow when the game wasn't going in his favor .... a trait I've seen from him on several occasions in similar circumstances. That wicked drop shot is not just being used just to move the ball on. A hurler who is overly interested in the man very soon finds out its a two way street.

Which Adam was it skull
O kane or mullan

Adam O'Kane. real pity for the lad as he played really well on sunday.
hurl like f**k boi!

Jesusjones

I'd say everyone feels for young O' Kane suffering an injury that'll likely mean he misses championship action but listen boys, some of you need to get over yourselves. I would never condone deliberate striking but come on. Hurling is a contact sport and sometimes people get injured by complete accident. What are you complaining about? The injury to the lads hand or the drop shot or both? He hardly hit him on the hand with a drop shot. Are we going to curtail the way you are allowed to hit the ball now as well? In my opinion a drop shot is an excellent way to get a shot away when space is at a premium. Just because a defender isn't expecting it and isn't quick enough to adjust doesn't mean the forward is doing anything other than striking the ball. Drop shots are within the rules of the game. I'm yet to see a referee give a free against the player in question or any other player attempting a drop shot. No more drop shots? Whats next? We may get the children to play tennis...

NAG1

Quote from: Jesusjones on August 11, 2015, 04:02:24 PM
I'd say everyone feels for young O' Kane suffering an injury that'll likely mean he misses championship action but listen boys, some of you need to get over yourselves. I would never condone deliberate striking but come on. Hurling is a contact sport and sometimes people get injured by complete accident. What are you complaining about? The injury to the lads hand or the drop shot or both? He hardly hit him on the hand with a drop shot. Are we going to curtail the way you are allowed to hit the ball now as well? In my opinion a drop shot is an excellent way to get a shot away when space is at a premium. Just because a defender isn't expecting it and isn't quick enough to adjust doesn't mean the forward is doing anything other than striking the ball. Drop shots are within the rules of the game. I'm yet to see a referee give a free against the player in question or any other player attempting a drop shot. No more drop shots? Whats next? We may get the children to play tennis...

JJ That is all very good and I am not talking about this particular incident I am referring to shot in general terms. In all my years of watching hurling I have yet to see a player playing the drop shot with any other intention that to cause some sort of damage to the direct opponent at that time. It is not an effective shot to get the ball away as it requires a full swing plus in all likelihood the ball is going to ricochet off the opponents legs or hurl.

I can think of players from different clubs who I have see doing it over the years and to me it has always been a cowards chance of inflicting a bit of damage on an opposition player. Didnt call for it to be banned but if IMO when I think of the players that I have seen use it over the years that would more or less fit with my theory.

Jesusjones

Sure give us a list, we'll slate them all.

NAG1

Quote from: Jesusjones on August 11, 2015, 04:20:07 PM
Sure give us a list, we'll slate them all.

:) No thanks, as I said it was in my opinion, other may differ as is the nature of it.

theskull1

I'm complaining about a wicked drop shot (full blooded swing) being used as a method of injuring an opponent who is getting the better of you. Nothing wrong with the shot per se if the intent to injure isn't the prime motive. Laughable you think its a useful shot. Dropping the ball at an opponents feet is a totally sh1te way of moving the ball on IMO. I haven't seen it for years at IC level...I wonder why? Yes its well within the rules, just as throwing the ball up in an opponents face and swinging is within the rules. You're blind if you can't see that. No odds to me. 
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Jesusjones

The player you are talking about scored 1-6 in the match. He was hardly being gotten the better off...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on August 11, 2015, 04:42:46 PM

I'm complaining about a wicked drop shot (full blooded swing) being used as a method of injuring an opponent who is getting the better of you. Nothing wrong with the shot per se if the intent to injure isn't the prime motive. Laughable you think its a useful shot. Dropping the ball at an opponents feet is a totally sh1te way of moving the ball on IMO. I haven't seen it for years at IC level...I wonder why? Yes its well within the rules, just as throwing the ball up in an opponents face and swinging is within the rules. You're blind if you can't see that. No odds to me. 

It's a hard one to call from a referee's point of view you gotta determine if the intent is there , be a big argument from both sets of players when you do call it, bit like the pulling in the air early stroke, not as much of it about now (well from games I've done lately)...

I don't mind hard honest challenges when going for the ball, some people genuinely miss the ball and connect with a player, it's a foul its a late challenge but if there is no intent (in my view) rightly or wrongly I generally tick/note the player and let him know that the next time it's a booking....

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hand up

The drop shot was/is a great skill when used correctly, I remember 2 Antrim Greats who used it regularly, Mick O Connell, and Randal Mc Donnell Snr, Hardly Cowards!!!

Last Man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 11, 2015, 05:50:20 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on August 11, 2015, 04:42:46 PM

Agree with that MR but in this case i think if marked tenaciously the trend is for a few craftily timed wild pulls to buy a bit of room. Not something I'd coach or condone anyway for the simple reason that many's a bad turn has been returned on the hurling field and theres little point in building a reputation as a young man and not expect it to come back to bite you at some point. He'd be better using his considerable skill in other ways in these occasions.

It's a hard one to call from a referee's point of view you gotta determine if the intent is there , be a big argument from both sets of players when you do call it, bit like the pulling in the air early stroke, not as much of it about now (well from games I've done lately)...

I don't mind hard honest challenges when going for the ball, some people genuinely miss the ball and connect with a player, it's a foul its a late challenge but if there is no intent (in my view) rightly or wrongly I generally tick/note the player and let him know that the next time it's a booking....

Jesusjones

There was a deliberate strike to the head last week in the reserve championship quarter final between the same 2 teams that earned a Dunloy man a straight red card. There wasn't as much as a murmur on here about it. Isn't it interesting what (or maybe who) people pick on.   

theskull1

Interesting? How so?

Has the player who got the line a reputation? Was it a particularly malicious stoke aimed to seriously damage your player? If so I would have expected you to have mentioned it? Not needed in our games

Was it though? I was at another game?

Jesusjones

Well firstly the young player people are discussing today hasn't even hurled senior for 2 years. Hardly enough time to gain a reputation. As for the incident in the reserve championship match. It was a genuinely bad strike but to my mind it came out of frustration at the way the game was going. A spur of the moment mistake that I'm sure the player regrets. It could have caused serious damage but thankfully it didn't. Sadly these incidents happen from time to time, we've all seen them. I didn't bring it up originally because no damage was done, the referee dealt with it properly and it didn't effect the result of the game. I have now raised it because I feel some have set off on a totally unjustified witch hunt on one of our players.

theskull1

There's nothing unjustified about it. Players build their own reputations.