Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on January 15, 2015, 01:24:10 PM
The All Ireland Intermediate and Junior is a really driving factor for clubs.

To my mind they're a good thing, but Antrim really need to come up with a hard and fast criteria for championship levels, probably based on the results from the previous year. league and championship.

If you win the junior you're automatically intermediate the next year or x number of years, and so on.

I'm not sure if you could work it that all Div4 and Div3 teams are junior and Div2 intermediate, unless the point above comes into play as there's never really been a stable league structure in Antrim for as long as I can remember, far too quick to change things for a problem that won't be so resolved by changing a league that needs to mean more than it currently does!

theskull1

Quote from: Sham Man on January 15, 2015, 02:10:03 PM
And other than ourselves (Shams) and Creggan, no other club has claimed the AI club spoils!!!

All roads to victory are paved with disappointment, failures and casualties.  ;) ;D

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Lamh Dhearg probably think they will get a handy Ulster. They wont though.

Bonamargy

Quote from: johnneycool on January 15, 2015, 03:45:44 PM

To my mind they're a good thing, but Antrim really need to come up with a hard and fast criteria for championship levels, probably based on the results from the previous year. league and championship.

If you win the junior you're automatically intermediate the next year or x number of years, and so on.

I'm not sure if you could work it that all Div4 and Div3 teams are junior and Div2 intermediate, unless the point above comes into play as there's never really been a stable league structure in Antrim for as long as I can remember, far too quick to change things for a problem that won't be so resolved by changing a league that needs to mean more than it currently does!

This is exactly the way it is!!! Division one is senior, 2 intermediate, 3 junior and 4 Junior B. Lamh Dhearg are in division 3 and are entitled to play junior chmpionship. They were relegated from division 2 at the end of 2013, played division 3 last year and were not strong enough to finish in the top two to be promoted to division 2. You can elect to play up a grade of championship if you wish, but not down a grade. On this occasion Lamh Dhearg have decided to play the championship which is their own level. What is the problem with that?

Sham Man

couldnae agree more. Ffs, some of ye need ta chillax!  ;D 8)
Shamrocks are winners!

themac_23

Quote from: Bonamargy on January 15, 2015, 04:24:03 PM

This is exactly the way it is!!! Division one is senior, 2 intermediate, 3 junior and 4 Junior B. Lamh Dhearg are in division 3 and are entitled to play junior chmpionship. They were relegated from division 2 at the end of 2013, played division 3 last year and were not strong enough to finish in the top two to be promoted to division 2. You can elect to play up a grade if championship if you wish, but not down a grade. On this occasion Lamh Dhearg have decided to play the championship which is their own level. What is the problem with that?

Well if that was infact the way it was i don't think anyone would have a problem but the fact that in div 3 Glenravel, Endas, Tir Na Nog all playing IHC kinda changes things. if these sides were in JHC and that was set out at the start of the year i would fully support that

btdtgtt

Quote from: cfclg on January 15, 2015, 03:24:52 PM
I hate to point it out to you all but this moving to a cship for an all Ireland run/chsip victory seems to be a city thing....................

Glenarrife?

Does anyone really think there's a system to assign teams to championships which will be to everyone's agreement?
There will always be teams in-between grades and will move over years.
This debate happens in every county!

And like I said - I think we should be more concerned with the future of hurling at Hannahstown as not many up there believe this to be an easy all ireland attempt.

Unless of course you prefer single code clubs - which seems to be a North antrim thing.  ;)

Bonamargy

Quote from: themac_23 on January 15, 2015, 05:15:42 PM
Quote from: Bonamargy on January 15, 2015, 04:24:03 PM

This is exactly the way it is!!! Division one is senior, 2 intermediate, 3 junior and 4 Junior B. Lamh Dhearg are in division 3 and are entitled to play junior chmpionship. They were relegated from division 2 at the end of 2013, played division 3 last year and were not strong enough to finish in the top two to be promoted to division 2. You can elect to play up a grade or more than one grade up in championship if you wish, but not down a grade.

On this occasion Lamh Dhearg have decided to play the championship which is their own level at Junior.  What is the problem with that?

Well if that was infact the way it was i don't think anyone would have a problem but the fact that in div 3 Glenravel, Endas, Tir Na Nog all playing IHC kinda changes things. if these sides were in JHC and that was set out at the start of the year i would fully support that

For the first time in a number of years none of the division 2 teams have elected to play up a level at senior championship.

Teams are allowed to enter any championship at their own level (determined by you league) or  any championship above. Glenravel, St Endas and Randalstown have decided this year to play above their level by entering intermediate (they didn't have to as they are Junior level) There was nothing stopping Glenravel, St Endas, Randalstown or any team from divisions 2,3 or 4 from entering the Senior championship if they wished to do so. You just are not allowed to enter a lower grade, so a division one team cannot enter the intermediate if they decided they wanted to pick up an easy trophy for the dinner dance.

Lamh Dhearg have decided to not go up to a level above them. Their choice, no problem in my book.

Bonamargy

Quote from: btdtgtt on January 15, 2015, 05:59:42 PM
I hate to point it out to you all but this moving to a cship for an all Ireland run/chsip victory seems to be a city thing....................

Glenarrife?

Does anyone really think there's a system to assign teams to championships which will be to everyone's agreement?

And like I said - I think we should be more concerned with the future of hurling at Hannahstown as not many up there believe this to be an easy all ireland attempt.

Unless of course you prefer single code clubs - which seems to be a North antrim thing.  ;)

We are a dual club 😊

Minder

Glenarrife?

When was that ?  :)
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

btdtgtt

Quote from: Minder on January 15, 2015, 08:29:48 PM

Glenarrife?

Can't be exact on the years but your boys have definitely jumped between intermediate & senior in recent years.
I've no problem with that - just making the point it's ridiculous to suggest this is a belfast thing.
The same good now be said of cloughmills.
They could enter senior again if they wished - but chose intermediate as in division 2 - fair enough.

It's no different for the johnnies or rossa or Lamh dearg.
If their ability has them dropping down a league - then they are entitled to drop down a championship - like glenarrife & cloughmills - the point is it's not a city thing.

btdtgtt

Agreed HS.
And St John's were in the same position when they dropped down - as are Lamh Dearg.
Again - I'm just making the point it's not a city thing!

The guidelines are fine I think.
Playing up a grade is a clubs perogative and doesn't affect anyone else - and nobody can play down unless they drop a league - in which case it's a fair reflection.

There will always be teams thought of as too good or traditionally in a higher championship - but we must realise that's the same in every county and there's no golden system where everyone fits the right championship in everyone's opinion.

To borrow a quote from ground gaelic - it's a results business.

Minder

Quote from: btdtgtt on January 15, 2015, 10:14:46 PM
Quote from: Minder on January 15, 2015, 08:29:48 PM

Glenarrife?

Can't be exact on the years but your boys have definitely jumped between intermediate & senior in recent years.
I've no problem with that - just making the point it's ridiculous to suggest this is a belfast thing.
The same good now be said of cloughmills.
They could enter senior again if they wished - but chose intermediate as in division 2 - fair enough.

It's no different for the johnnies or rossa or Lamh dearg.
If their ability has them dropping down a league - then they are entitled to drop down a championship - like glenarrife & cloughmills - the point is it's not a city thing.

I could be wrong but last years appearance in the Intermediate championship was our first in close to 10 years maybe. We won IC in 2005, and were in SC that year but that season if you were beaten in preliminary round (St Pauls beat us) you could enter the IC.

In fact we have played SC plenty of years when we shouldn't have been near it.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Haven't really had a chance to debate this, but I'm more than fed up with how the 'clubs' change this every time, leagues one year championship the next, two up in the league or two down, round robin championships, playoffs in the leagues, group stages championships ffs!!! I reckon I could go on but it really is daft, never going to please anyone but thats the way it is......

As for changing it this year cause it upset the gate money in the glens, well that just speaks volumes. While it may have been a 'lopsided' draw in the snobs view it was a massive chance for clubs like ourselves, Sarsfields, Gales Cloughmills all actually thought they had a chance to reach a county final, for some that would have been their first time... We achieved that and while we didn't cover ourselves in glory, we (played no worse that the losers of the final the year before btw) got that monkey off our backs.

To continually change it offers nothing in my view.... getting your own house in order seems to be the main chat from the 'establishment' and looking after their own, well after this years Ulster championship final I'd say some teams in Antrim would really need to sort out their own house before telling the minnows to do so.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Last Man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 16, 2015, 12:06:24 AM
Haven't really had a chance to debate this, but I'm more than fed up with how the 'clubs' change this every time, leagues one year championship the next, two up in the league or two down, round robin championships, playoffs in the leagues, group stages championships ffs!!! I reckon I could go on but it really is daft, never going to please anyone but thats the way it is......

As for changing it this year cause it upset the gate money in the glens, well that just speaks volumes. While it may have been a 'lopsided' draw in the snobs view it was a massive chance for clubs like ourselves, Sarsfields, Gales Cloughmills all actually thought they had a chance to reach a county final, for some that would have been their first time... We achieved that and while we didn't cover ourselves in glory, we (played no worse that the losers of the final the year before btw) got that monkey off our backs.

To continually change it offers nothing in my view.... getting your own house in order seems to be the main chat from the 'establishment' and looking after their own, well after this years Ulster championship final I'd say some teams in Antrim would really need to sort out their own house before telling the minnows to do so.
i'd concur with that.