Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizzy15

Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 15, 2015, 09:50:33 AM
would glenravel not have moved up to the intermediate after winning junior and reaching the ulster final?

They are in Intermediate according to county web. they are second team down I think

btdtgtt

Quote from: Gizzy15 on January 15, 2015, 09:47:28 AM
Lámh Dhearg in Junior Hurling Championship I must say im not amused >:(. it was no more than two years ago they were putting proposals in to county to stay in Div2 and avoid relegation. now a self imposed relegation into the Junior Hurling Championship. Must be desperate for a worthwhile presentation night. I Really Really hope they don't win it and are exiled there for the foreseeable future.

I wouldn't be so harsh. They've lost a few players and the senior side of the club is going through a difficult time.
Last year was poor with the big ball also as a result.
Their emphasis this year will be on regaining their level at football - an agenda which will affect the hurlers. Therefore Junior might be the place for them- after all if they are division three then that's their preogative.
Hopefully winning at Junior (if the even do) will help them build with the wee ball again.
Thats said, talking to some of them they are not optimistic for the future of hurling at the club at all. So Junior might have been on the horizon regardless.
Lamhs have merged with other clubs on several occasions at underage hurling.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Gizzy15 on January 15, 2015, 09:58:38 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 15, 2015, 09:50:33 AM
would glenravel not have moved up to the intermediate after winning junior and reaching the ulster final?

They are in Intermediate according to county web. they are second team down I think

ah spot on. i just read it again and realised they are in the junior football. i read the wrong list.
hurl like f**k boi!

Gizzy15

Quote from: btdtgtt on January 15, 2015, 10:05:35 AM
Lámh Dhearg in Junior Hurling Championship I must say im not amused >:(. it was no more than two years ago they were putting proposals in to county to stay in Div2 and avoid relegation. now a self imposed relegation into the Junior Hurling Championship. Must be desperate for a worthwhile presentation night. I Really Really hope they don't win it and are exiled there for the foreseeable future.

I wouldn't be so harsh. They've lost a few players and the senior side of the club is going through a difficult time.
Their emphasis this year will be on regaining their level at football - an agenda which will affect the hurlers. Therefore Junior might be the place for them- after all if they are division three then that's their preogative.
Hopefully winning at Junior (if the even do) will help them build with the wee ball again.
Thats said, talking to some of them they are not optimistic for the future of hurling at the club at all. So Junior might have been on the horizon regardless.

I usually find myself agreeing with you but I cant bring myself to on this occasion. maybe im just fed up with this recurring theme each year in hurling and football of teams cherry picking their championships. on too many occasions teams are dropping down to a lower grade to 'take a year to build' . on most occasions these teams are far too strong for others in the competition to compete and their success is to the disheartening and detriment of the other clubs in that grade. maybe this is just an overall frustration with me and im giving Lámh Dhearg the shitty end of the stick (the straw that broke the Camel's back ;D)

themac_23

Quote from: Gizzy15 on January 15, 2015, 10:49:48 AM
Quote from: btdtgtt on January 15, 2015, 10:05:35 AM

I usually find myself agreeing with you but I cant bring myself to on this occasion. maybe im just fed up with this recurring theme each year in hurling and football of teams cherry picking their championships. on too many occasions teams are dropping down to a lower grade to 'take a year to build' . on most occasions these teams are far too strong for others in the competition to compete and their success is to the disheartening and detriment of the other clubs in that grade. maybe this is just an overall frustration with me and im giving Lámh Dhearg the shitty end of the stick (the straw that broke the Camel's back ;D)

would it be seen as an achievement for LD to win a JHC? I don't think so, they are in a no win situation, if they do win it it'll be a case of 'sure you're too good for it anyway' and if they don't win it'll be a case of people poking fun at them. Seriously, far far too big a club to be playing JHC

Na Glinntí Glasa

it seems to be a re-occurring theme in hurling where teams drop down due to a lack of success for a number of years. st johns and rossa have done it and received the same criticism for doing so.

some times you have to drop a grade, our hurlers at under age have played B grade a few times due to a lack of numbers at that age. getting a hammering each week does no one any use at all.
hurl like f**k boi!

Gizzy15

Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 15, 2015, 11:41:23 AM
it seems to be a re-occurring theme in hurling where teams drop down due to a lack of success for a number of years. st johns and rossa have done it and received the same criticism for doing so.

some times you have to drop a grade, our hurlers at under age have played B grade a few times due to a lack of numbers at that age. getting a hammering each week does no one any use at all.

But what would be 'Genuine Junior clubs' getting a hammering from the clubs dropping down to give their players a lift does those clubs no good. so where does the cycle end. my real point on the matter is that it is the Lowest clubs on the ladder get shit on by the process of picking your own championship. this is more the case with potential Ulster and All Ireland runs for the winners of the Antrim club Championships.

and before anyone says 'get your house in order and get up to a higher standard' which has been said to me before. I would say the same to the clubs dropping down. the only clubs that cant drop to a lower grade to stop getting the tankings and breed some young blood are the junior clubs and its just not helped by the filter down process of bigger clubs dropping in when it suits them.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Gizzy15 on January 15, 2015, 12:03:12 PM

But what would be 'Genuine Junior clubs' getting a hammering from the clubs dropping down to give their players a lift does those clubs no good. so where does the cycle end. my real point on the matter is that it is the Lowest clubs on the ladder get shit on by the process of picking your own championship. this is more the case with potential Ulster and All Ireland runs for the winners of the Antrim club Championships.

and before anyone says 'get your house in order and get up to a higher standard' which has been said to me before. I would say the same to the clubs dropping down. the only clubs that cant drop to a lower grade to stop getting the tankings and breed some young blood are the junior clubs and its just not helped by the filter down process of bigger clubs dropping in when it suits them.

i agree totally with you here. i dont think it serves anyone any good in the long run. rossa had that intermediate won in everyone's eyes before the championship started hence why it wasnt seen as any great achievement by most in antrim hurling. winning ulster was a must for them after that and i wish them well in their semi final.

i dont think it does a club any good at all. my own club had a big fat zero championships up until 1990 yet each year they persevered at senior level always hoping they could win it. Ballycastle are now 29 years from winning a senior championship you wouldnt see them consider intermediate.

LD are not a junior club, they shouldnt be in that championship at all.
hurl like f**k boi!

themac_23

Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 15, 2015, 12:14:29 PM
Quote from: Gizzy15 on January 15, 2015, 12:03:12 PM

i agree totally with you here. i dont think it serves anyone any good in the long run. rossa had that intermediate won in everyone's eyes before the championship started hence why it wasnt seen as any great achievement by most in antrim hurling. winning ulster was a must for them after that and i wish them well in their semi final.

i dont think it does a club any good at all. my own club had a big fat zero championships up until 1990 yet each year they persevered at senior level always hoping they could win it. Ballycastle are now 29 years from winning a senior championship you wouldnt see them consider intermediate.

LD are not a junior club, they shouldnt be in that championship at all.

You make great points, the main thing is 'being competitive' LD would no doubt be competitive in IHC this is where my problem lies. Not everyone can win a championship, only one team at each grade can. The example you make sums up the difference in mentality in some clubs, instead of dropping down and taking the easy option, put the head down plug away, take the disapointing first round exits time and time again and then when eventually you do win it the victory will be even sweeter. Its not that long ago LD were in an IHC final so its not like they've been getting hammered every year.

btdtgtt

All fine points and I agree with many of the sentiments - but the Lamhs will say that the argument is not with them.

The rules and structures pemit them to enter Junior - since they have been relegated to Divsion 3.
Their agenda is to do what they deem best for themselves - not to worry about what we think is best for the championships overall.

If it's to "re-build", or win a handy championship, or a genuine reflection of their level - time will tell.

But I think the arguments put forward are issues for rules and structures - not Lamh Dearg.
If they win (like St Johns & Rossa) time will tell how highly it's regarded it or if they carry through the so called "re-build" to the next level.

For what it's worth my biggest concern after talking to some of their lads is the future of hurling in hannahsown full stop.

theskull1

The All Ireland Intermediate and Junior is a really driving factor for clubs.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Sham Man

Quote from: theskull1 on January 15, 2015, 01:24:10 PM
And other than ourselves (Shams) and Creggan, no other club has claimed the AI club spoils!!!

All roads to victory are paved with disappointment, failures and casualties.  ;) ;D
Shamrocks are winners!

hurlingstick

cfclg

I hate to point it out to you all but this moving to a cship for an all Ireland run/chsip victory seems to be a city thing....................

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Sham Man on January 15, 2015, 02:10:03 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on January 15, 2015, 01:24:10 PM
And other than ourselves (Shams) and Creggan, no other club has claimed the AI club spoils!!!

All roads to victory are paved with disappointment, failures and casualties.  ;) ;D
>:( ;D ;D ;D ;D
hurl like f**k boi!