Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Na Glinntí Glasa

lol there must be a thought process there at county board that if they keep changing every year eventually they will get it right, like doing a Rubik's cube!

ive always liked the open draw. i cursed the years lgiel got easy draws and we all called fix! (lol) and cursed our path which usually seemed to involve cushendall to get to a final but sure it was part and parcel of an open draw.

yes the seeding can give us (possibly) an easier path to a semi final then again it can open the possibility of a shock to happen. hopefully clooney, cloughmills etc stay in the senior championship as this is put in place for the foreseeable future.

draw is next week is it not?
hurl like f**k boi!

Bonamargy

The draw is on Monday night at Dunsilly hotel.

Sham Man

Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 13, 2015, 12:05:00 PM
lol there must be a thought process there at county board that if they keep changing every year eventually they will get it right, like doing a Rubik's cube!

ive always liked the open draw. i cursed the years lgiel got easy draws and we all called fix! (lol) and cursed our path which usually seemed to involve cushendall to get to a final but sure it was part and parcel of an open draw.

yes the seeding can give us (possibly) an easier path to a semi final then again it can open the possibility of a shock to happen. hopefully clooney, cloughmills etc stay in the senior championship as this is put in place for the foreseeable future.

DR, now you are sounding like a bitter Dunloy man.  Championship is all about shocks and all about winning. So you think the open draw always favours the Shams, get a grip man!  An open draw is open, best way if you ask me, you takes your chances and if it does not work out, take it on the chin.  Ffs man, take a wisener.  ::) ???
Shamrocks are winners!

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Sham Man on January 13, 2015, 03:21:27 PM

DR, now you are sounding like a bitter Dunloy man.  Championship is all about shocks and all about winning. So you think the open draw always favours the Shams, get a grip man!  An open draw is open, best way if you ask me, you takes your chances and if it does not work out, take it on the chin.  Ffs man, take a wisener.  ::) ???

best you read a post first before typing. note the lol in brackets.

:o
hurl like f**k boi!

Sham Man

Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 13, 2015, 03:55:46 PM
Quote from: Sham Man on January 13, 2015, 03:21:27 PM

best you read a post first before typing. note the lol in brackets.

:o
with an 'Accent' on the lol DR?  Nah, come of it, who are you fooling.  Ur a bit of a 'cunning' individual I suppose??? ;)
Shamrocks are winners!

Na Glinntí Glasa

eh im not a cunning. wrong surname  ;D ;)
hurl like f**k boi!

Sham Man

Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 13, 2015, 04:51:29 PM
eh im not a cunning. wrong surname  ;D ;)
Just a wild shot DR, no offence, just teasing.  ;)
Shamrocks are winners!

Bonamargy

So if the senior championship is going to be seeded 1,2,3 and 4 from last seasons final league positions. Cushendall are 1, Loughgiel are 2, Dunloy are 3 and Ballycastle are 4.

If the quarter finals were to see no shocks, does the semi finals have 1 v 4 (Dall v Town) and 2 v3 (Shams v Dunloy)

Or does it then revert to an open draw again at semi final stage??? If they are using a seeding system you would think seedlings will follow all the way through the competition?

btdtgtt

Quote from: Bonamargy on January 13, 2015, 07:08:46 PM
So if the senior championship is going to be seeded 1,2,3 and 4 from last seasons final league positions. Cushendall are 1, Loughgiel are 2, Dunloy are 3 and Ballycastle are 4.

If the quarter finals were to see no shocks, does the semi finals have 1 v 4 (Dall v Town) and 2 v3 (Shams v Dunloy)

Or does it then revert to an open draw again at semi final stage??? If they are using a seeding system you would think seedlings will follow all the way through the competition?

If they are seeding then it really should be 1v2 and 3v4 - otherwise it's more a case of fixing the draw than genuinely seeding.
No surprise nobody seems to have thought of that but yet - or at least made it clear!
If it's true that the following year the 4 seeds would be this year's semi-finalists (no idea why this would be the case) then it raises the same question (ie) there is no seeds just a fixed draw.

Bonamargy

Quote from: btdtgtt on January 13, 2015, 07:29:20 PM
Quote from: Bonamargy on January 13, 2015, 07:08:46 PM

If they are seeding then it really should be 1v2 and 3v4 - otherwise it's more a case of fixing the draw than genuinely seeding.
No surprise nobody seems to have thought of that but yet - or at least made it clear!
If it's true that the following year the 4 seeds would be this year's semi-finalists (no idea why this would be the case) then it raises the same question (ie) there is no seeds just a fixed draw.

In any sport with seeds, it would be 1v4 and 2v3. Strongest seed always plays the weakest seed, (1v16 2v15 etc etc) with the aim being that the two strongest seeds don't meet each other until the final (1v2)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on January 13, 2015, 11:13:45 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 13, 2015, 11:00:50 AM
Quote from: Sham Man on January 13, 2015, 10:53:44 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 13, 2015, 09:15:13 AM
Im not sure if this relates to all the grades. judging by the voting there was 44 clubs voting on it so theres a chance it will be al the grades. i wasnt at the meeting, it was my father who was present at it so he was the one that told me the craic.

the seeding was always going to happen after last year. the gates were down and the county didnt make enough money. god forbid they would get less for one year to do nothing with it.

i had no problem in seeing any side get to the final esp someone who hadnt been there in a while but if truth be told it was one of the poorest championships in memory. our game v ballycastle was a damp squib, the same v cdall. cdall v lgiel should of been a cracker but it wasnt, st johns v lgiel was over at half time (i left with 15mins to go it was that bad) and the final wasnt up to much either.

was that the draws fault? no. should the teams be seeded to keep them apart until possibly the semi finals? no.

if we got lgiel in the first round i would be looking forward to it for weeks. yes we could crash out in the first round but if you want to win the vol cup you have to beat lgiel or cdall at some stage of the competition. thats how it should be.
Mr DR, really, your are too much of a real realist, you really are.  ??? ::)
;D making life simple is how it show be. complications are just a nuisance

Its a catch 22 situation, actually the way the draw has fallen in the last few years has been pretty poor for the championship itself. Knowing that the stronger teams are more likely to be involved in the latter stages makes the whole season ramp up IMO.

Having one side of the draw heavily weighted does the competition no good whatsoever. The teams that take the competition and hurling development seriously and have done for the past 20/30 years are the seeded teams, dont think there can be any argument with that.

NAG a one sided draw for the first time in 100 years ffs and you are looking it seeded because it happened last year!!!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Na Glinntí Glasa

the fact it was voted 24-20 shows how tight it was at mondays meeting.

does anyone know if it means the senior championships only in both codes or is it the intermediate and junior also?
hurl like f**k boi!

btdtgtt

Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 14, 2015, 08:50:05 AM

does anyone know if it means the senior championships only in both codes or is it the intermediate and junior also?

Talking to a few people yesterday aggrieved that their club wasnt informed this was on the agenda for the meeting! Rail-roaded through?

Last Man

Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 14, 2015, 08:50:05 AM

The only thing that matters is the "Big 4". There's no money in the inter and junior levels. We just have to suck up the repercussions of what ever suits the top table. ;D

All seeing I

Quote from: themac_23 on January 12, 2015, 10:24:31 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 12, 2015, 09:37:19 PM
Te championship in both football and hurling is to be seeded this year. It was voted in 24-20 in favour of it as the meeting the night.

Top seeds in football are st galls, cargin, St. John's and Rossa.

Top hurling seeds are loughgiel, cushendall, dunloy and ballycastle.

This should make for some debating!

Maybe a stupid question but i take it its only senior? Either way it is disappointing, open draw always adds to the excitement, personally i was delighted to see galls get to a SHC final this year I'm sure it has boosted hurling in the club.

It boosted it so much they haven't even got a senior hurling manager this year - only in St Galls. Clooney Gaels will be the club with the real appetite this year. They'll be back with a vengance and hopefully they'll get a bit of luck in the draw.
I do agree with you on the open draw though - it's the only way to go. Names in a hat, draw them out and whoever is the best will win the championship. The history, passion and pride that's associated with our championship should not be compromised. Open draw - simples!