Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Na Glinntí Glasa

Te championship in both football and hurling is to be seeded this year. It was voted in 24-20 in favour of it as the meeting the night.

Top seeds in football are st galls, cargin, St. John's and Rossa.

Top hurling seeds are loughgiel, cushendall, dunloy and ballycastle.

This should make for some debating!
hurl like f**k boi!

hurlingstick

Obviously in response to last year's hurling championship. joke!!!
Why don't they just pick who they would like as the 4 semi finalists.

themac_23

Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 12, 2015, 09:37:19 PM
Te championship in both football and hurling is to be seeded this year. It was voted in 24-20 in favour of it as the meeting the night.

Maybe a stupid question but i take it its only senior? Either way it is disappointing, open draw always adds to the excitement, personally i was delighted to see galls get to a SHC final this year I'm sure it has boosted hurling in the club.

btdtgtt

Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 12, 2015, 09:37:19 PM

I can't be bothered going through the archive but I predicted this as soon as the draw was made for last year's hurling championship!
That's not to say I'm against it!

Bonamargy

Our county board just cannot leave structures alone! The beauty of Championship is the open draw and the chance for a small team causing an upset. To win the championship the so called big four have always had to win 2 games against the other seeded teams. That will still be the case, this nonsense just means we cannot meet each other until the semi finals. Just leave the bloody thing alone and do the hurling on the field. Can't see too many division 2 teams entering the senior championship in this format. Oh wait, they waited until the deadline for competition entries had passed before they announce the changes. So much for trying to improve the overall standard in Antrim by encouraging clubs to play at the higher level. You couldn't make it up lol

btdtgtt

Quote from: Bonamargy on January 12, 2015, 10:53:19 PM
Our county board just cannot leave structures alone! The beauty of Championship is the open draw and the chance for a small team causing an upset. To win the championship the so called big four have always had to win 2 games against the other seeded teams. That will still be the case, this nonsense just means we cannot meet each other until the semi finals. Just leave the bloody thing alone and do the hurling on the field. Can't see too many division 2 teams entering the senior championship in this format. Oh wait, they waited until the deadline for competition entries had passed before they announce the changes. So much for trying to improve the overall standard in Antrim by encouraging clubs to play at the higher level. You couldn't make it up lol

Fair points.
Except given their championship record can Ballycastle really be included in a big4?

Bonamargy

I couldn't try and justify us being in the 4 seeds. Apparently the 4 semi finalists in 2015 will be next years (2016) 4 seeds. The drive behind this was nothing to do with hurling. The county lifted smaller championship gates this year, so want the bumper pay days of having the bigger semi finals and final. All about the dollar

btdtgtt

Quote from: Bonamargy on January 12, 2015, 11:52:23 PM
I couldn't try and justify us being in the 4 seeds. Apparently the 4 semi finalists in 2015 will be next years (2016) 4 seeds. The drive behind this was nothing to do with hurling. The county lifted smaller championship gates this year, so want the bumper pay days of having the bigger semi finals and final. All about the dollar

Agreed. I do think it'll create a better championship but like you say it loses something with the open draw aspect and the real motivation is clear.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Im not sure if this relates to all the grades. judging by the voting there was 44 clubs voting on it so theres a chance it will be al the grades. i wasnt at the meeting, it was my father who was present at it so he was the one that told me the craic.

the seeding was always going to happen after last year. the gates were down and the county didnt make enough money. god forbid they would get less for one year to do nothing with it.

i had no problem in seeing any side get to the final esp someone who hadnt been there in a while but if truth be told it was one of the poorest championships in memory. our game v ballycastle was a damp squib, the same v cdall. cdall v lgiel should of been a cracker but it wasnt, st johns v lgiel was over at half time (i left with 15mins to go it was that bad) and the final wasnt up to much either.

was that the draws fault? no. should the teams be seeded to keep them apart until possibly the semi finals? no.

if we got lgiel in the first round i would be looking forward to it for weeks. yes we could crash out in the first round but if you want to win the vol cup you have to beat lgiel or cdall at some stage of the competition. thats how it should be.

hurl like f**k boi!

Sham Man

Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 13, 2015, 09:15:13 AM
Im not sure if this relates to all the grades. judging by the voting there was 44 clubs voting on it so theres a chance it will be al the grades. i wasnt at the meeting, it was my father who was present at it so he was the one that told me the craic.

the seeding was always going to happen after last year. the gates were down and the county didnt make enough money. god forbid they would get less for one year to do nothing with it.

i had no problem in seeing any side get to the final esp someone who hadnt been there in a while but if truth be told it was one of the poorest championships in memory. our game v ballycastle was a damp squib, the same v cdall. cdall v lgiel should of been a cracker but it wasnt, st johns v lgiel was over at half time (i left with 15mins to go it was that bad) and the final wasnt up to much either.

was that the draws fault? no. should the teams be seeded to keep them apart until possibly the semi finals? no.

if we got lgiel in the first round i would be looking forward to it for weeks. yes we could crash out in the first round but if you want to win the vol cup you have to beat lgiel or cdall at some stage of the competition. thats how it should be.
Mr DR, really, your are too much of a real realist, you really are.  ??? ::)
Shamrocks are winners!

theskull1

Money once again the drive over the principle of the thing. That's a very disappointing decision
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Sham Man on January 13, 2015, 10:53:44 AM

;D making life simple is how it show be. complications are just a nuisance
hurl like f**k boi!

themac_23

Last year think of the lift the championship draw would have given the unfancied teams, would have made life a lot easier for managers to get players to commit when they see a chance at a championship run and on the flip side should have given the likes of Dunloy, Shamrocks etc something to look forward to knowing the y had to hit the ground running in championship as they would be playing some of the best teams.

This year its going to kind of go against that 'weaker' teams might find it a bit more difficult to get the commitment as a championship run is less likely. Might be overstating the importance of an open draw but just smacks of looking out for the big clubs to me.

NAG1

Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 13, 2015, 11:00:50 AM
Quote from: Sham Man on January 13, 2015, 10:53:44 AM

;D making life simple is how it show be. complications are just a nuisance

Its a catch 22 situation, actually the way the draw has fallen in the last few years has been pretty poor for the championship itself. Knowing that the stronger teams are more likely to be involved in the latter stages makes the whole season ramp up IMO.

Having one side of the draw heavily weighted does the competition no good whatsoever. The teams that take the competition and hurling development seriously and have done for the past 20/30 years are the seeded teams, dont think there can be any argument with that.

btdtgtt

Great thread lads - I have starting to doubt myself if the seeding idea I advocated is a good idea at all now! Some good points - maybe the next couple of years will prove one way or another.
And sure it's not like we do much tinkering with structures in Antrim hurling ;)