Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizzy15

Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 28, 2014, 10:48:09 AM
from what I seen in the 2 games between Cushendall and Sneill there was a number of bookings handed out which IMO were never bookings. there are fouls in every game, we all accept that will happen but to book someone in the first half for commiting a simple foul (not dirty stroke, back chat) is silly. it ruins the game as opposition supporters will roar at the ref every tackle he commits to have him sent off.

the ref then gets into a pressure situation to do something but risks ruining the game by sending someone off for two silly tackles that were nothing more than clumsy.

were the two refs under pressure for those games? probably due to them being from Cavan which isn't a natural hurling home land people from Antrim, Down and Derry who were at the game will scrutinise the ref more so.

it takes a lot for my aul boy to get annoyed at a game of hurling when he's a neutral (following Dunloy this year has rose his blood pressure alone! lol) and we have been at Kilkenny & Galway club hurling finals but the ref in both games had him giving off non stop for poor calls.

Was anyone on here watching TG4 last night and their highlights of the club championships?
Im just asking as I watched it and during the Dublin hurling final the St Judes no.10 produced a head butt right in front of the ref and everyone around after he was fouled. not only was no action taken against the individual but his team kept the free and scored a goal from it.

Im just wondering did anyone else see it as ive seen players sent off, of late and with barely a forward movement of the head yet this was left un punished.

johnneycool

I wasn't at either game, but my only concern about these lads is what sort of standard of hurling are these lads refereeing at week in, week out rather than where they're from.

I presume they referee in the NHL, but at what level?

Would some lad who is refereeing club junior football be given the job of refereeing Crossmaglen and Omagh, I think not.

Na Glinntí Glasa

theres a good chance they are doing Div 4 or the Lory Meagher cup. they wont be up to the standard required for an ulster hurling championship. the teams coming out of this championship have won all Irelands and got the all Ireland club finals so the standard of hurling is pretty high therefore we expect the ref to be at that standard.

would an antrim ref get the ulster club football final? probably not, it will go to a big name from a strong football county. the ulster council care a football and football only. they don't give a toss about hurling.
hurl like f**k boi!

getevennotcross

Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 28, 2014, 12:09:39 PM
theres a good chance they are doing Div 4 or the Lory Meagher cup. they wont be up to the standard required for an ulster hurling championship. the teams coming out of this championship have won all Irelands and got the all Ireland club finals so the standard of hurling is pretty high therefore we expect the ref to be at that standard.

would an antrim ref get the ulster club football final? probably not, it will go to a big name from a strong football county. the ulster council care a football and football only. they don't give a toss about hurling.
Is it maybe a case that a Cavan, Monaghan, Fermanagh referee would be safe hands? Potentially Down, Antrim, Derry and more recently Armagh, you could say would be in the mix for Ulster honours, therefore a neutral referee from non competing counties is safer option.  Southern Ulster referees probably would not charge as much either, based on more recent events.  Ulster Councils hurling budget would not extend to such a level to cover some of the more exorbitant expenses claims.  Bear in mind, I was talking to a Derry mate in the Elk!  It has been said, the Cavan men do it for around 130 Euro all in (meals, fuel,sundries) maybe a more financially prudent proposition for UC?  'One' never knows, does 'One' ?

Joking aside, I was amazed at the number of spectators who normally would be more controlled and reserved, who were extremely vocal on Sunday in Loughgeil.  As I said earlier, such protracted verbiage was extremely inappropriate around young children, but undoubtedly fueled by a shambolic refereeing performance. 

Who is reffing the final?  Hopefully a non attention seeking whistle blower in the middle, Sambo will be pleased at that.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Eamon Hasson has got the nod, which is not unexpected. hes the top ref in ulster with regards to hurling.
hurl like f**k boi!

Glensman

Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 28, 2014, 12:58:06 PM
Eamon Hasson has got the nod, which is not unexpected. hes the top ref in ulster with regards to hurling.

+1

Lets her go.

Glensman

Quote from: Gizzy15 on October 28, 2014, 11:59:24 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 28, 2014, 10:48:09 AM
from what I seen in the 2 games between Cushendall and Sneill there was a number of bookings handed out which IMO were never bookings. there are fouls in every game, we all accept that will happen but to book someone in the first half for commiting a simple foul (not dirty stroke, back chat) is silly. it ruins the game as opposition supporters will roar at the ref every tackle he commits to have him sent off.

the ref then gets into a pressure situation to do something but risks ruining the game by sending someone off for two silly tackles that were nothing more than clumsy.

were the two refs under pressure for those games? probably due to them being from Cavan which isn't a natural hurling home land people from Antrim, Down and Derry who were at the game will scrutinise the ref more so.

it takes a lot for my aul boy to get annoyed at a game of hurling when he's a neutral (following Dunloy this year has rose his blood pressure alone! lol) and we have been at Kilkenny & Galway club hurling finals but the ref in both games had him giving off non stop for poor calls.

Was anyone on here watching TG4 last night and their highlights of the club championships?
Im just asking as I watched it and during the Dublin hurling final the St Judes no.10 produced a head butt right in front of the ref and everyone around after he was fouled. not only was no action taken against the individual but his team kept the free and scored a goal from it.

Im just wondering did anyone else see it as ive seen players sent off, of late and with barely a forward movement of the head yet this was left un punished.

Saw it - was crazy that nothing appeared to have happened! As noted before by Skull - senseless headbutting with helmets on! (and of course without them on...).

Was on the wrong end of said Cavan referee a few years back. Appreciate your boys have a tough gig MR2 but he was (and cleary is) diabolical.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Sham Man on October 28, 2014, 01:52:53 PM
Cant argue with that at all. +1

Your boy Cunning would be non to happy with that accolade being heaped on the wee man??  I take it you are not on his Christmas card list.  ;D

lol I don't think skinny would mind not being the top yet, hes working his way up there tho. seen him a few times and hes pretty good.
hurl like f**k boi!

theskull1

Quote from: Glensman on October 28, 2014, 01:37:02 PM

+1

Lets her go.

So does skinny   ;D
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: theskull1 on October 28, 2014, 02:37:16 PM

+1

Lets her go.

So does skinny   ;D

;D all them lads over the years merely ran into the end of skinnys stick by accident lol
hurl like f**k boi!

Glensman

Quote from: theskull1 on October 28, 2014, 02:37:16 PM

+1

Lets her go.

Strangely he doesn't as much as he did!! Good ref though and whether rightly or wrongly at least you get an explanation in a non condescending manner.

So does skinny   ;D

blueblood

Jesus lads maybe we should start a referees thread, all this talk I might take up the whistle myself ;D

Na Glinntí Glasa

jaysus naw lads, this is a temp love in with regards to refs.

come this weekend after leaving Ownebeg I could be calling Eamonn for all the useless tits in the world! lol
hurl like f**k boi!

johnneycool

Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 30, 2014, 12:50:52 PM
jaysus naw lads, this is a temp love in with regards to refs.

come this weekend after leaving Ownebeg I could be calling Eamonn for all the useless tits in the world! lol

Why, will the Dunlodians be cheering on the Dall on this occasion and be upset if they lose?

As for Eamon, I hope he keeps those expenses down and gives the Ports a fair crack at it which no doubt he will as he's already refereed them this year and would know there's no dirt in them.
;)

Na Glinntí Glasa

prediction for the senior final this weekend folks

Cushendall by 3 points, but only just. the two games v S'neill will have taken it out of them so I don't think there will be any big win margin but I still think Cushendall will win it.
hurl like f**k boi!