Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Sham Man on October 27, 2014, 02:33:02 PM
Disappointing to witness some Dunloy, Town and my own club men cheering on Sneil. Well I suppose that's to be expected at times.  Fair play to the Dall though, 2nd half seemed a lot more composed and sticking to their game plan.  Anyone know where the final is being played, I heard Armagh is an option?

Well done Rossa also, probably not where they want to be, but all part of the building process and bigger picture.

I was on the far side of the pitch and to be fair I never seen any neutral (from our Antrim clubs) applauding Sneill. I was stood with my dad in amongst the sneill fans and they were vocal enough on their own.

even it were Lgiel playing Sneill I wouldn't of been cheering on the Derry men!
hurl like f**k boi!

getevennotcross

Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 27, 2014, 03:38:43 PM
Disappointing to witness some Dunloy, Town and my own club men cheering on Sneil. Well I suppose that's to be expected at times.  Fair play to the Dall though, 2nd half seemed a lot more composed and sticking to their game plan.  Anyone know where the final is being played, I heard Armagh is an option?

Well done Rossa also, probably not where they want to be, but all part of the building process and bigger picture.

I was on the far side of the pitch and to be fair I never seen any neutral (from our Antrim clubs) applauding Sneill. I was stood with my dad in amongst the sneill fans and they were vocal enough on their own.

Sad to say I did witness it  from where I was standing, deplorable really.  More annoying was the language and especially when young children about the place.  Fair play to you DR, but not all North Antrim men are like you regrettably.

getevennotcross

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 26, 2014, 06:07:21 PM
Quote from: getevennotcross on October 26, 2014, 06:00:59 PM
Quote from: podge on October 26, 2014, 04:42:05 PM
Seriously, is this the best ulster council can produce as a ref for for the showpiece club match in the province? Riddled with baffling and inconsistent calls.

Could have cost cushendall the game. Shouldn't let the fact that cushendall won gloss over the ineptitude. Otherwise they will keep appointing boys like this.

Should have brought Cody along - he would have some laugh.
woeful and dour stuff no question. Seriously reflects on the serious poor standard of hurling referees in Ulster. Pity a Derry team were playing today against the Dall, I am sure E. Hasson would have got the nod., possibly get the final.  He is probably the only decent referee we have had in Ulster this last number of years, the rest in Ulster and Antrim included have been extremely poor imo.

The game today was poor also. I think this referee was afraid that it may have boiled over. Some very inconsistent whistle blowing. Dall have still not impressed,but I suppose they will be happy with the result regardless.

Have Antrim any up and coming referees worth watching?  Our current stock and those in recent years have not been up to much, thankless job though which may be of influence.  Good luck to the Dall anyway. I think Ulster will be as far as it goes on current form.

Have you put up a constructive meaningful debate in any of your posts?  Dark cloud, I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll get attention elsewhere
Evidently, we don't have that much to be positive about Milltown, lets face it, Casement debacle, Dunsilly shambles, Club Antrim Fugazi, the pathetic state of our hurling and football teams, heaven help us.  10 weeks of Novenas would prove difficult putting some positive slant on the entire shambles.  Your lucky, at least the Milltown men still ride on the crest of the wave, for most other clubs a definite struggle all round.  To cap it all, we are being lead by the nose by a rudderless, deceitful and unprincipled CB.  Not a lot to be positive about, but sure we will endure and prevail, me thinks?

imtommygunn

Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 27, 2014, 11:55:14 AM
to be fair if I was a ref I would of given it as a foul.

over the two games I thought Cdall got the rough end with regards to the fouls against them. im all up for a ref from cavan or monaghan getting the big games in the ulster hurling but they have got to be up to speed and used to high level games. E Hasson is one of the best that ive had to deal with. yes he may call some bad ones, all refs do, but hes good at letting the game flow and works well with the players

It was more comical than anything else to be honest.

Cushendall were the better team but they need to improve - too many needless quick frees and conceding a point when two of your own players, with all the time and space in the world, run into each other isn't good.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 27, 2014, 04:03:53 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 27, 2014, 11:55:14 AM
to be fair if I was a ref I would of given it as a foul.

over the two games I thought Cdall got the rough end with regards to the fouls against them. im all up for a ref from cavan or monaghan getting the big games in the ulster hurling but they have got to be up to speed and used to high level games. E Hasson is one of the best that ive had to deal with. yes he may call some bad ones, all refs do, but hes good at letting the game flow and works well with the players

It was more comical than anything else to be honest.

Cushendall were the better team but they need to improve - too many needless quick frees and conceding a point when two of your own players, with all the time and space in the world, run into each other isn't good.

they are nowhere near as good as Lgiel were 3 years ago. that being said that Lgiel were at the height of their power, much the same as Dunloy were when they were flying.

their defence is very strong and have conceded very few goals. Sneill didn't have one shot at goal for the Cdall keeper to save in the 2 games which is testament to their strong defence. once they sorted midfield in the second game they didn't concede as much.

I don't understand young Campbell playing up front. hes wasted up there and in the second half when he was back he did a lot more than being stuck up in the corner.
hurl like f**k boi!

Seamroga in exile

If they improve from midfield up cushendall will be hard to work with. Their defence is as good as anything else out there. No question about that. I just wonder if they have that mercurial player that can change momentum in a game. I thought christy might have been that player but to be honest slaughtneil minded him well. Like has been said before they'll have to up their game if they get out of ulster. It isn't easy down there, contrary to what some might think.  ;)
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on October 27, 2014, 05:02:30 PM
If they improve from midfield up cushendall will be hard to work with. Their defence is as good as anything else out there. No question about that. I just wonder if they have that mercurial player that can change momentum in a game. I thought christy might have been that player but to be honest slaughtneil minded him well. Like has been said before they'll have to up their game if they get out of ulster. It isn't easy down there, contrary to what some might think.  ;)

Christy has loads of years left to get going, only a young pup and anyone who has played against the Derry teams will testify that you'll certainly get a 'minding' or two during the game.

Disappointed that the referee is getting a pasting, not for me to judge as I wasn't there but some of the sensible ones on here I'd trust their judgement. Ulster council could have appointed a Down man for the game, surely there are some decent referees that could have handled that game, but I think you have to have something extra to referee once it gets out of Antrim leagues and into Ulster Championship. not sure what it is though
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Seamroga in exile

I'm not criticising christy at all. In fact id be worried that cushendall are starting him in these big games. He'd be some weapon to bring in with 20 left. They miss a fully fit shane big time. And carson, when he wants, can cause damage. Its there but like I said, have they got that player that'll take it to the next level and bring his team mates with him?
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

imtommygunn

Sie they probably lack it in the forwards. Would love to see them break their hoodoo and get to a final some day. Portaferry far from beat yet though!

Last Man

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on October 27, 2014, 06:24:50 PM
I'm not criticising christy at all. In fact id be worried that cushendall are starting him in these big games. He'd be some weapon to bring in with 20 left. They miss a fully fit shane big time. And carson, when he wants, can cause damage. Its there but like I said, have they got that player that'll take it to the next level and bring his team mates with him?
Not really fair for Sambo to expect so much of him imo but suppose its symtomatic of where they are with attacking options Still a team in transitition so will need a close eye kept to keep the young bloods on track.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 27, 2014, 05:43:21 PM

Christy has loads of years left to get going, only a young pup and anyone who has played against the Derry teams will testify that you'll certainly get a 'minding' or two during the game.

Disappointed that the referee is getting a pasting, not for me to judge as I wasn't there but some of the sensible ones on here I'd trust their judgement. Ulster council could have appointed a Down man for the game, surely there are some decent referees that could have handled that game, but I think you have to have something extra to referee once it gets out of Antrim leagues and into Ulster Championship. not sure what it is though

im not one for concentrating on a ref during a game or blaming them for a defeat but sometimes the ref becomes the centre of attention and that's something I don't like.

if you come back from a game and talk about it afterwards and the ref is never mentioned then hes done a good job IMO. sadly the ref on Sunday made some poor calls and whenever he made a bad one for one team he tried to even it up by making another poor call. he did let the game flow in the later stages which was good but the first half was forgettable for him.

maybe its a good learning curve for him getting these games but he needs to take a look at the likes of other refs in antrim league games to see what the tempo, tackling/intensity is like. it is also good to see a cavan man in charge of a big hurling match in ulster.
hurl like f**k boi!

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: getevennotcross on October 27, 2014, 03:45:24 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 27, 2014, 03:38:43 PM

Sad to say I did witness it  from where I was standing, deplorable really.  More annoying was the language and especially when young children about the place.  Fair play to you DR, but not all North Antrim men are like you regrettably.

that doesn't mean I want Loughgiel to win though  :o ;D
hurl like f**k boi!

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on October 27, 2014, 12:24:10 PM
Over the course of the game from the refereeing perspective, I felt like I was watching a rugby match i.e. On too many occasions I and many around me had no clue what the fouls were being blown for. Cushendall shaded the soft free count I thought, but poor marksmanship kept the baloobas in the hunt, but they never threatened enough up front especially in front of goal. In the championship St Galls are the only side to score a major against them. They looked to have a fairly pragmatic philosophy that's based around this resolute backline. Game plan seems to be work hard to build a lead then load the back line (O Campbell dropping back and 3/4 line moving way out) in the second half to suffocate the opposition whilst making use of the extra space created to pick off handy scores which Shane did well. Loughgiel have been successful with similar tactics this past few years. You need the right personnel to make it work, so credit to Cushendall for being able to do it. Graffin was sublime again and the stand out player for me. Does he ever get cleaned out?

They've been doing that for as long as I can remember, it can be a daunting place for a defender to be standing with 50 yards of open ground in front of you and a few flyers in the forwards.
I remember watching them turn around a 6 or 7 point deficit against Loughgeil by sucking Johnny Campbell way out the field and throwing in a young McManus to full forward and hitting the spaces in front of him to run into.

In saying that the Ports have a pretty mobile team not lacking in height or speed. I'd just be concerned that the rigid way they've set up their defence in particular could be their undoing. Big BA is made for Carson, strong as an Ox and good in the air if somewhat slowish over the sod but should follow him no matter where Carson goes.
Conor O'Prey has caught himself on and is hurling well in the corner for them, even if he does manage to get himself on the wrong side too often for me.
Their forwards were also going well with Dule getting back into form, but they're not as reliant as they were on him to do all the scoring. Conor McGeehan has been scoring well from play, 4 points from play IIRC against Ballycran and missed a few as well, although against a decent defence they might struggle to get goals as they may be a bit light in and around the edge of the square.
Graffan is as good a defender as I've seen in Ulster in long and many's a day. You'd almost hope to god he'd follow the forward to the corner flag and give the rest a chance.

IMO if the Ports get their heads right, understand not everything is going to go their way but keep plugging away they've a real good chance, the Dall don't have that air of invincibility that the Dunloy of old or Loughgeil of recent have had.
Ports have a habit of dropping the heads when things get tough and they're a bit behind, hopefully the implosion doesn't happen and they give it a real good rattle.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 28, 2014, 09:16:03 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 27, 2014, 05:43:21 PM

im not one for concentrating on a ref during a game or blaming them for a defeat but sometimes the ref becomes the centre of attention and that's something I don't like.

if you come back from a game and talk about it afterwards and the ref is never mentioned then hes done a good job IMO. sadly the ref on Sunday made some poor calls and whenever he made a bad one for one team he tried to even it up by making another poor call. he did let the game flow in the later stages which was good but the first half was forgettable for him.

maybe its a good learning curve for him getting these games but he needs to take a look at the likes of other refs in antrim league games to see what the tempo, tackling/intensity is like. it is also good to see a cavan man in charge of a big hurling match in ulster.

Are referees under pressure to perform differently in Ulster Championship? Maybe someone with referreeing experience on here will know the answer. The junior final for example was totally destroyed as a contest with NM having 2 men sent off. The teams were level before that and the sending off of their CHB against the wind was a killer blow. To be very honest the sending off for 2 yellows was extremely harsh with first coming from a very slight pull of the opponents sleeve. A tick would have done. The guy who got sent off has never been booked before this i believe.  A lot of people paid to watch the match yesterday and for any neutral there it was destroyed by this poor decision. The sceond sending off was clear cut though and cant be argued with.

Na Glinntí Glasa

from what I seen in the 2 games between Cushendall and Sneill there was a number of bookings handed out which IMO were never bookings. there are fouls in every game, we all accept that will happen but to book someone in the first half for commiting a simple foul (not dirty stroke, back chat) is silly. it ruins the game as opposition supporters will roar at the ref every tackle he commits to have him sent off.

the ref then gets into a pressure situation to do something but risks ruining the game by sending someone off for two silly tackles that were nothing more than clumsy.

were the two refs under pressure for those games? probably due to them being from Cavan which isn't a natural hurling home land people from Antrim, Down and Derry who were at the game will scrutinise the ref more so.

it takes a lot for my aul boy to get annoyed at a game of hurling when he's a neutral (following Dunloy this year has rose his blood pressure alone! lol) and we have been at Kilkenny & Galway club hurling finals but the ref in both games had him giving off non stop for poor calls.
hurl like f**k boi!