Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Quote from: Balboa on August 11, 2007, 11:04:16 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on August 11, 2007, 10:19:42 AM
Looking at the thread loneshark has started on county championships it would appear that Antrims is a tighter contest (at the top anyway)  than all the other counties listed. Surely thats a positive no?

You could argue Skull that it is tight because there is no outstanding team, will you take them up on the 7/2 about Dunloy??

Maybe, but when you consider that antrim teams almost always put up a good show in the all ireland series, our level at the top of div 1 club mustn't be that far away from clubs in the top counties? Strengthening the middle order is really the area which needs to develop in Antrim more than the top sides don't you think?
Never was a betting man Rocky even when we were sure things, so don't think i'll start now
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Balboa

Quote from: theskull1 on August 11, 2007, 12:36:53 PM
Quote from: Balboa on August 11, 2007, 11:04:16 AM
Looking at the thread loneshark has started on county championships it would appear that Antrims is a tighter contest (at the top anyway)  than all the other counties listed. Surely thats a positive no?

You could argue Skull that it is tight because there is no outstanding team, will you take them up on the 7/2 about Dunloy??

Maybe, but when you consider that antrim teams almost always put up a good show in the all ireland series, our level at the top of div 1 club mustn't be that far away from clubs in the top counties? Strengthening the middle order is really the area which needs to develop in Antrim more than the top sides don't you think?
Never was a betting man Rocky even when we were sure things, so don't think i'll start now

I have always been of the opinion that the time of the year the Club Semis are played at is a great leveller for the Antrim/Down teams. Teams wont be at their sharpest with heavy pitches,poor weather, lack of meaningful matches after a long layoff etc.

Give-it-Timber

I have always been of the opinion that the time of the year the Club Semis are played at is a great leveller for the Antrim/Down teams. Teams wont be at their sharpest with heavy pitches,poor weather, lack of meaningful matches after a long layoff etc.
[/quote]

have to totally disagree with you there balboa, i mean, shamrocks (Shefflin & co) didnt look that unsharpe last year for a start. and are you trying to undermine how well Dunloy have done at the all-ireland stage recently.

i dont think it is a leveller, i agree with skull our top teams in Antrim arent that far away from the top teams down south. the teams we need to improve most are the middle teir so it gets more competitive for the tops teams here.

Guillem2

I agree with Skull. It's the number of quality teams in southern counties that gives them the edge at county level. Dunloy were among the best dozen club sides in Ireland for 5 or 6 years. Antrim and Down teams that come out of Ulster are well up to the required standard.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

Balboa

Not at all trying to undermine Dunloy, the really good Dunloy teams are a long way better than the top teams in Antrim at the minute. If the club scene is so strong why has it never been transferred to inter county? In fairness Ballyhale have been a cut above anything we have seen for a few years.

theskull1

Quote from: Balboa on August 12, 2007, 08:31:45 PM
Not at all trying to undermine Dunloy, the really good Dunloy teams are a long way better than the top teams in Antrim at the minute. If the club scene is so strong why has it never been transferred to inter county? In fairness Ballyhale have been a cut above anything we have seen for a few years.

Didn't say the club scene is strong. I'm saying that the top sides aren't that far away from the top club sides down south. The poor standard below the top sides is a big reason why we have never had inter county success.

girt_giggler

Where is the thread Loneshark has posted his prices? cant find it

theskull1

Quote from: girt_giggler on August 13, 2007, 08:47:22 AM

Where is the thread Loneshark has posted his prices? cant find it

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=4192.0

are ye blind man  8)

North Antrim

Cushendall beat our minors lst night by 6 points in a very poor match. Thats them into the semi-final. Rossa & St Brendans join them. Loughguile game was called off. Season gets worse!! We play Gort Na Mona on Wednesday in Championship - Senior - brought forward a week cos of U-21 final

girt_giggler

What date is U21 final set for? still in casement i take it?

North Antrim

No heard yesterday it is changed to Loughguile for Friday week (24th) at 6.30 ;)

Heard Loughguile were training at 7 on Sunday morning......and a prominent player said its the best training they ahve ever done.....(doesnt it sound familiar)

milltown row

st pauls were training at 7.00 am in the senior football championship :P

North Antrim

Balboa

Folks we will not know if Loughguile have improved until they get to championship final/semis and are getting it tight, will they push on or lay down like last year. I dont think fitness or hurling ability is the issue, i think its all in their head.

NAG

Guys

can you imagine if Dunloy or Cushendall are throwing it into loughgiel and go 5-6 points clear, what would be the reaction be?

We can only go on previous years when they fold like a house of cards. Have they improved any or got any new players ?