Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

themac_23

Quote from: Saffrongael on July 21, 2014, 02:47:31 PM
Why should Rossa not be hurling at this level ? They would be nowhere near a senior championship.

Not getting at rossa, they are probably looking at it as a chance to drop down and get momentum just like johnnies a few years ago. Just because you aren't going to win SHC doesn't mean you shouldn't compete at that level. Can't seriously tell me rossa couldn't beat/ compete with the likes of st galls, cloughmills or St. John's?

Sleeping giant

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 21, 2014, 02:52:03 PM
Why should Rossa not be hurling at this level ? They would be nowhere near a senior championship.

Only 4 teams at Championship level and one team shits in the nest every time they play Loughgiel
whos that?
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

themac_23

Quote from: hardstation on July 21, 2014, 03:12:21 PM
Quote from: themac_23 on July 21, 2014, 02:55:45 PM

Not getting at rossa, they are probably looking at it as a chance to drop down and get momentum just like johnnies a few years ago. Just because you aren't going to win SHC doesn't mean you shouldn't compete at that level. Can't seriously tell me rossa couldn't beat/ compete with the likes of st galls, cloughmills or St. John's?
I keep hearing this and it was even mentioned when we discussed this issue in our club. What momentum? For me, the Johnnies returned to senior hurling at the same level as they left it.

The biggest reason why we are dropping to intermediate is because the vast majority of our senior hurling team have never won a senior championship match!

I can't remember off hand but didn't they get to an all Ireland final? Surely a big lift to the club etc good to still be competing at that time of year. My own personal feeling is a club like rossa should be playing SHC, looking at the clubs who are playing senior rossa would mix it with most of them. You are gambling with the luck of the draw though and hoping to pull one of the so called weaker sides.

Genuine question would. You rather be considered a senior club or win an IHC? Suppose that's the question committees ask themselves making these decisions

themac_23

Quote from: hardstation on July 21, 2014, 03:22:00 PM
Quote from: themac_23 on July 21, 2014, 03:18:19 PM

I keep hearing this and it was even mentioned when we discussed this issue in our club. What momentum? For me, the Johnnies returned to senior hurling at the same level as they left it.

The biggest reason why we are dropping to intermediate is because the vast majority of our senior hurling team have never won a senior championship match!

I can't remember off hand but didn't they get to an all Ireland final? Surely a big lift to the club etc good to still be competing at that time of year. My own personal feeling is a club like rossa should be playing SHC, looking at the clubs who are playing senior rossa would mix it with most of them. You are gambling with the luck of the draw though and hoping to pull one of the so called weaker sides.

Genuine question would. You rather be considered a senior club or win an IHC? Suppose that's the question committees ask themselves making these decisions
Or is there merit in playing one championship game or perhaps a handful. Who knows.

True, but does that the  filter down to the IH team you knock out 1st round who only get 1 game. As you say it's all about how ya look at it, not gonna criticise rossa, good luck to them and if they do win antrim il support them as far as they go in ulster or AI series

themac_23

Quote from: hardstation on July 21, 2014, 03:33:59 PM
Quote from: themac_23 on July 21, 2014, 03:26:13 PM
Quote from: hardstation on July 21, 2014, 03:22:00 PM
Quote from: themac_23 on July 21, 2014, 03:18:19 PM

Or is there merit in playing one championship game or perhaps a handful. Who knows.

True, but does that the  filter down to the IH team you knock out 1st round who only get 1 game. As you say it's all about how ya look at it, not gonna criticise rossa, good luck to them and if they do win antrim il support them as far as they go in ulster or AI series
Without sounding selfish, you're hardly gonna give a fiddlers about some other club.

Of course you're not, always look out for no1 and all that. Personally I don't think it should be left up to clubs to decide themselves, turkey's aren't gonna vote for Christmas, but getting our co board to realise this would prob be difficult they like the philosophy if it's broke don't fix it! Prob another debate for another time!

theskull1

Quote from: Sleeping giant on July 21, 2014, 02:53:47 PM
I believe it to be the tightest championship in some time at senior level,   sure half the county has ourselves wrote of.  Which wont do us any harm.

yeah right ...suits you sir  ;D

I think most would agree that the bunch is getting tighter at the top, but I don't know anyone that doesn't think that Loughgiel are still the team to beat.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

The Johnnies were lucky to win Ulster at Casement and were put out in the semis of the All Ireland Intermediate.  Glenariffe at full strength will give Rossa all they want, but from what I've seen of Rossa this year they have the extra bit in them to take it to another level.

As for senior, Ballycastle have come up short against Loughgiel in the championship when I expected more. They have made good intentions this year in the league but leagues mean feck all. It's a serious draw with all the big ones and the Johnnies ;) clustered together lol. Loughgiel favourites to come out of that.

As for the other side of the draw, we are clear favourites but anything can happen, Cloughmills, Sarsfields and Clooney Gaels will also see themselves as good chances to get to a senior county final, we need to win two hard games (for our standard anyway) to get to the final, would be a grand year in the club if we could get to both finals, but that's just a side.

I'm looking forward to it, would love to be still playing. Will be a changed final for a start.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sleeping giant

Quote from: theskull1 on July 21, 2014, 04:06:49 PM
I believe it to be the tightest championship in some time at senior level,   sure half the county has ourselves wrote of.  Which wont do us any harm.

I think most would agree that the bunch is getting tighter at the top, but I don't know anyone that doesn't think that Loughgiel are still the team to beat.
corse it suits us.  Adds the extra bit of drive.   Sure you no yourself, a "finished" dunloy team schooled c,dall a few years back. Dick ran the show.   

theskull1

Quote from: Sleeping giant on July 21, 2014, 04:17:17 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on July 21, 2014, 04:06:49 PM

corse it suits us.  Adds the extra bit of drive.   Sure you no yourself, a "finished" dunloy team schooled c,dall a few years back. Dick ran the show.

Exactly ...... who are these people who've written youse off this year? I haven't met them? Maybe, just maybe your'e trying to create a 'backs to the wall' narrative to rally the troops? Whatever suits, but I think we both know it's just not true.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

themac_23

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 21, 2014, 04:12:21 PM
The Johnnies were lucky to win Ulster at Casement and were put out in the semis of the All Ireland Intermediate.  Glenariffe at full strength will give Rossa all they want, but from what I've seen of Rossa this year they have the extra bit in them to take it to another level.

As for senior, Ballycastle have come up short against Loughgiel in the championship when I expected more. They have made good intentions this year in the league but leagues mean feck all. It's a serious draw with all the big ones and the Johnnies ;) clustered together lol. Loughgiel favourites to come out of that.

As for the other side of the draw, we are clear favourites but anything can happen, Cloughmills, Sarsfields and Clooney Gaels will also see themselves as good chances to get to a senior county final, we need to win two hard games (for our standard anyway) to get to the final, would be a grand year in the club if we could get to both finals, but that's just a side.

I'm looking forward to it, would love to be still playing. Will be a changed final for a start.

Right enough, I think it was yourselves got to the final actually, my bad! Lol. Personally I'd like to see league status dictate championship, prob harder to implement in hurling due to the number of down teams playing in our leagues, def think it should happen sooner rather than later in football tho so we don't have this 'why are they playing in that champ' debate every year

Sleeping giant

Am sure dunloy thrived on the "finished" label

imtommygunn

No one is writing you off - maybe you tell yourselves that to create a siege mentality but it's not true!!

Sure that Loughgiel team from the last few years isn't that old and you have some new guys coming through.

Who've you lost for people to be writing you off??

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Sleeping giant on July 21, 2014, 02:12:08 PM
Well not long to the business end of things starts, lets here opinions.

LG  are favourites. They looked a bit jittery this time last year but come the championship they where miles ahead. Like Germany in the World Cup they really play well as a unit. Only team with a system and have the ability to execute it

There support play and cross field accurate passing, creating space is easy on the eye and very effective. Only thing to hinder them is pure mental exhaustion winter training  four times in a row
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Sleeping giant

Ok, so loughgiel favourites.   Whos closest to stopping history,  what have they got to do apart from the obvious which is score more.  Hows the games gonna unfold people? Is cdall first game the winners of ourselves and the johnnies

Na Glinntí Glasa

loughgiel are still the team to beat IMO, ive seen nothing to suggest otherwise this year. yes there might be a slight slide in dominance this year but thats to be expected with a team getting that bit older. its happened to ourselves and its only natural.
cushendall were the team to take their place at the top but last years final was a shocker for me. they beat us in the semi and we shot shocking wides that day, i kinda thought it would be a tight game but didnt see that one sided affair coming. not sure about them this year if they can knock lgiel off the top spot.
ballycastle are also a shoulder shugger. loads of talent but never deliver when its really needed. county players all through the team and once of the best defenders around in neil mc auley.
st johns are a mess now, could of done something and had the promise to do so but internal stuff has cost them maybe this year.
ourselves? honestly we are not in with a shout. what ive seen of us this season we are great one day and terrible the next. will take a good year of playing the way dick wants to get them sorted.

overall it will be loughgiel to win it again unless cushendall grow a set and beat them!
hurl like f**k boi!