Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on April 30, 2014, 02:30:03 PM
Powerful lot of mind readers on here. Some seem to know me better than myself.   :P

Not necessary to be a mind reader, just need to see through/ past the red tinted glasses

Good to see the siege mentality alive and well

Reminds me of the famous old Millwall FC song

btdtgtt

Seems the loughgiel siege mentality that has served so well at club level has spilled over into the county set up. This is wrong.

Also seems that one (now I hear two?) players  have too much influence on KR and who is selected. This is wrong.

Either way - the lads representing our county from all clubs deserve our support.

My main thinking as to why we don't succeed is that we won't until we prioritise the club scene to create a large selection of able hurlers rather than a narrow band - perpetuated by the club scene being relegated which has knock-on effect at county's expense. Build the foundations strong and all that.

But it's also true we need a united push behind the county squad for the teams to reach their potential - maybe if the first part is sorted out the latter will follow.

Hoping for a win in Carlow regardless.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: btdtgtt on April 30, 2014, 02:50:02 PM
Seems the loughgiel siege mentality that has served so well at club level has spilled over into the county set up. This is wrong.

Also seems that one (now I hear two?) players definitely have too much influence on KR and who is selected. This is wrong.

Either way - the lads representing our county from all clubs deserve our support.

My main thinking as to why we don't succeed is that we won't until we prioritise the club scene to create a large selection of able hurlers rather than a narrow band - perpetuated by the club scene being relegated at the county's expense.

But it's perhaps also true we need a united push behind the county squad for the teams to reach their potential - maybe if the first part is sorted out the latter will follow.

Hoping for a win in Carlow regardless.

There's only one club that seems to be disgruntled with whatever player influence has on county selection
SIE approach certainly isn't helping relations between LG and the clubs these supposed string pullers are from
It's been relentless since KR took over. The fact that he argued for watson about the same subject recently is not helping him to be taking seriously about new developments

Glad you mentioned the Carlow game as that would be a important topic that the broken record jibberish stuff since yesterday
Will be a tough game as Carlow are at home and are wounded after there draw with London
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on April 30, 2014, 02:22:39 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on April 30, 2014, 02:10:08 PM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on April 30, 2014, 02:06:36 PM
I knew it wouldn't be long until you reverted to type with the personal insults. You'd need to ask Clyde that. Apart from Chrissy I don't believe anyone else from lg was asked back to the county panel.

Think of the advantage that gives you in the 'Drive for Five' SIE  ;)
Indeed. And if we achieve it, (the dall early favourites) surely people will start asking why there's only one outfield player from Loughgiel playing for Antrim.  ;)

We are going for a record in the football, and not a player on the county panel, I don't think its worrying anyone in the club to be fair, is this good for Antrim? Don't know but as has been said here numerous times this sort of stuff happens in most counties. Better with a committed panel that hangerons
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 30, 2014, 03:17:58 PM
I knew it wouldn't be long until you reverted to type with the personal insults. You'd need to ask Clyde that. Apart from Chrissy I don't believe anyone else from lg was asked back to the county panel.

Indeed. And if we achieve it, (the dall early favourites) surely people will start asking why there's only one outfield player from Loughgiel playing for Antrim.  ;)

We are going for a record in the football, and not a player on the county panel, I don't think its worrying anyone in the club to be fair, is this good for Antrim? Don't know but as has been said here numerous times this sort of stuff happens in most counties. Better with a committed panel that hangerons

Dall early favourites , your first name isn't " Jose " by any chance
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Seamroga in exile

and look at how well the county footballers are doing.   ;)
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on April 30, 2014, 03:24:56 PM

Dall early favourites , your first name isn't " Jose " by any chance
Funnily enough.......no, no it isn't. 😉

theskull1

Success hungry club players see the farce of being an intercounty footballer with Antrim shocker  :o

Never mind the McG factors having a negative impact on the whole set up

Many's a year Dunloy had 2 players on the county panel when they could (a should a would a) have had more. All clubs in their heart of hearts up here don't want too many representatives as it can have a detrimental affect on club training/preparations. SIE would have us all think he's badly annoyed that more aren't on it, when we all know rightly he's more than happy the drive for 5 is the focus of every LG player this year and his whingeing is solely about generating a siege mentality.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

imtommygunn

You could point to many successful club teams not having significant representation on their county team. When Ballyhale were very good five or six years ago how many did they have? Galway teams always seem to be the exception but Newtownshandrum had the O'Connors and how many others? (I think they'd one other who was the boy in defense who did corner back and wasn't the cleanest player in the world). Ballyhale had Shefflin and TJ Reid hadn't made it yet. The other Reids never really made it and Fennelly (I think he was on it?) was on his early years and may not have been there yet.

Armagh didn't have that many starters from Cross either on the football side.

Note on the above that these were sucessful counties. In fact maybe to flip it round you're better not having too much representation! Birr had more but Offaly weren't brilliant when they had the big representation from Birr if I recall correctly as they were a bit later? (Maybe 98 was an exception)

So basically not having that many county players from your most successful club team doesn't mean that much really... County and club games vastly different.

theskull1

Lets not forget the reigning Clare champions and the resigning All Ireland Champions

No many representing both there either

Seamroga in exile

So now Antrim have stumbled upon the winning formula, namely having little or no representation from the current 4 time county and, not so long ago All Ireland club winning team,we can expect the Liam McCarthy cup being  paraded down the Andersonstown road in the next couple of years.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on April 30, 2014, 06:18:14 PM
So now Antrim have stumbled upon the winning formula, namely having little or no representation from the current 4 time county and, not so long ago All Ireland club winning team,we can expect the Liam McCarthy cup being  paraded down the Andersonstown road in the next couple of years.

Yes that's what me or skull said  ::)

The simple point is that just because you have a dominant club team in your county it doesn't mean they will always of massive amounts of county players SIE. That is all. It is not specific to Loughgiel and it is not specific to antrim.

Just because the county team doesn't have that many from the dominant club team doesn't mean that that dominant club is being victimised.

btdtgtt

Separating the loughgiel issue but staying on the debate - the fact that other counties draw from a wider range of clubs even with successful teams is possible because of the depth of talent.
This is exactly what I was talking about earlier - putting the club scene first to increase the talent we can draw from.
Unfortunately in Antrim it's not always a depth of talent that keeps players from the top clubs away!

Seamroga in exile

For what it's worth the player in question is Eddie McCloskey. A fella that has played for Antrim without fail since he was 16. Absolutely abysmal treatment of a dedicated hurler.

theskull1

SIE

Shitstirrer In Eaction 

Grow up ya eejit