Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btdtgtt

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 24, 2014, 08:56:10 AM
Quote from: btdtgtt on April 24, 2014, 12:00:12 AM
Quote from: Northgael1 on April 23, 2014, 11:17:26 PM
Only going by what was seen and the ref report sent to county board and clubs.

I'll wait and see if the ref can explain how that's physically possible to strike a hurl thru the face-guard of a man who is biting your ear then?
And I'll wait to see if we're at the stage where a deliberate strike with the hurl, off the ball, resulting in the loss of an eye, can be so easily mitigated.
That city fecker tryin to steal a nice north Antrim hurl with his eye eh.
Jesus lads just a f**king grip.

Seriously ... One or maybe two people have came on here and talked about city teams. You have no idea what happened and nor do I. Just defend the city team sure. I won't defend either of them because I don't know what happened but the end result is a horrendous one. You are constantly on here with your conspiracies against city teams too so maybe it is you who needs to get a grip.

It will all come out in the wash and whatever happened should never be allowed to happen again.

I think you will find I openly talk of my city bias and often with tongue in cheek.
It's doesn't extend to Blanket slandering of glens people - nor attempting to mitigate violence.
Hardly comparable so that's a mute point from you.

As I said the hannahstown men have a different version but what we do know - as I have stated - is that a player struck another with a hurl off the ball so badly he lost an eye. Simple fact.
It's a sad reflection on anyone to try to mitigate this - let alone suggest it's a city/glens thing.
That's what some posts did - and I make no apologies for calling it the pathetic drivel that it is.

Someday maybe one of those posters might have the common sense to stop trying to add "ifs and buts" into this situation and acknowledge that nothing can condone the action - much less the infantile attempt to associate it with where the teams are from.

Pathetic.

theskull1

Quote from: btdtgtt on April 24, 2014, 10:07:18 AM

As I said the hannahstown men have a different version but what we do know - as I have stated - is that a player struck another with a hurl off the ball so badly he lost an eye. Simple fact.

Pathetic.

Aye.... never mind there being a possibility of a prelude to your "Simple  :o fact"

No harm in being mindful that there could have been and that the tragic incident wouldn't have occurred without a series of events prior. You see it up and down the land...young boys being encouraged to up the anti in the physicality stakes and it translates for many into pure dirt. Someone gets a bad injury. Is it only the perpetrator to blame? In my eyes no. I blame the mentors of the aggressors for not clarifying to them what being a tough hurler is and that an aggression should be focused on winning the ball and that's it. Demanding discipline on a hurling pitch is a huge part of the coaching effort. There's a slight bit of overlap (not much) between a tough and a dirty hurler, but a hurler "only" interested in inflicting injury on an opponent is a pure coward in my eyes. I'd love to know what enjoyment they are getting from playing the game. Is bragging rights down the pub enough?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

btdtgtt

Ok then I will give in to the PATHETIC whataboutery of the glans posters - IF there was prior incidents then they should also be dealt with. But that's obvious!

What is also obvious is the hitting a man with a hurling stick in the face off the ball is abhorrent!
How many Feckin times!

Maybe some of you might get this into your heads and quit searching for excuses.
Let alone slandering all city teams as a result of of one if them being assaulted so badly to lose an eye!

Can you even see the sh*te posted?

A fella has been assaulted and lost an eye and most points are criticising Lamh dearg!
It's daily mail style blaming the poor for the economy failing. If u can't see your own myopic stereotyping then feck it. Take a look in the mirror - an honest one.

How would u feel if one of your own was subject to this action?
Let me guess? "One of my own wouldn't have provoked it"
Utterly pathetic how some posters can't recognise the b*ll*cks they've posted.

Quit trying to mitigate what was a disgusting incident and for which the perpitraitor deserves the maximum punishment.

No Soloing

Havent posted in a while - but I need some help.
I am working on an app that locates GAA clubs in Antrim, gets directions from your location. You can share/email directions. Its based on an app that I developed locating county grounds (http://bit.ly/1rjZeIT)

I have data on most clubs but need some info on where a few play their home games. Can anyone help on the following clubs?
Ardoyne - do they play at the Criky pitch, Cliftonville Rd?
Pearses
St Comgalls
St Malachys - Cherryvale?
Also, where are the new Belfast Shamrocks hurling club playing at?

Thanks

imtommygunn

Quote from: No Soloing on April 24, 2014, 11:43:07 AM
Havent posted in a while - but I need some help.
I am working on an app that locates GAA clubs in Antrim, gets directions from your location. You can share/email directions. Its based on an app that I developed locating county grounds (http://bit.ly/1rjZeIT)

I have data on most clubs but need some info on where a few play their home games. Can anyone help on the following clubs?
Ardoyne - do they play at the Criky pitch, Cliftonville Rd?
Pearses
St Comgalls
St Malachys - Cherryvale?
Also, where are the new Belfast Shamrocks hurling club playing at?

Thanks

Pearses I don't think have a pitch or compete any more?

Ardoyne - yes Cliftonville.

St Malachys are Cherryvale yes.

St Comgalls didn't have a pitch when I played so not so sure.

Can't answer on shamrocks as not sure.

QuoteOk then I will give in to the PATHETIC whataboutery of the glans posters
Yes mate blame the glans posters. There you go again.

theskull1

Quote from: btdtgtt on April 24, 2014, 11:21:41 AM
Quit trying to mitigate what was a disgusting incident and for which the perpitraitor deserves the maximum punishment.

Speak up now anyone who doesn't think the perpetrator deserves a very very heavy punishment?

I think he does

Care to name who you believe doesn't btdtgtt?

As far as I could see all people were doing was contextualizing the incident rather than defending anyone. It wasn't obvious to anyone I would guess that you were prepared to accept that a prior incident could have played a part in this terrible injury (and that is not justifying anything). Now you've acknowledged that, we're ready to move on.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: theskull1 on April 24, 2014, 12:38:09 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on April 24, 2014, 11:21:41 AM

Speak up now anyone who doesn't think the perpetrator deserves a very very heavy punishment?

I think he does

Care to name who you believe doesn't btdtgtt?

As far as I could see all people were doing was contextualizing the incident rather than defending anyone. It wasn't obvious to anyone I would guess that you were prepared to accept that a prior incident could have played a part in this terrible injury (and that is not justifying anything). Now you've acknowledged that, we're ready to move on.

Btdjjt

You seem to be taking your anger out on everyone from the glens
There has only been one eye witness on here and his account would suggest that the derg player wasn't exactly concentrating on the ball
But there's no excuse for what he received
My guess, it was a retaliation that went horribly wrong
I really feel for the player who has lost his eye
And to lesser extent the perp( I don't think he will be feeling to good about it now) as he has to accept he has half blinded someone for the rest of there life
It a sad state of affairs and coming on here berating and stereotyping everyone from north antrim is out of order as was the other poster from our neck of the woods doing the opposite
It's not the first time you have taken a sad for antrim hurling in general scenario and attempted a us and them  argument
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

johnneycool

In all fairness to btdtgtt the broad brush used by Apparently So set in motion the them and us mentality in the first place.

cfclg

Both teams/clubs need to be held accountable for this. Doesn't matter who hit who etc they are equally as bad as each other. Now that its out in the open can anyone provide names of the lamb dearg player and the Glenarm fella that hit him?

Surely this incident can't be swept under the carpet like the U16 final last year as I see the Belfast Gaels and Glenshesk have games in the same competition this week! Surely both should have been heavily dealt with and banned from competition for a year.

theskull1

Quote from: johnneycool on April 24, 2014, 01:55:09 PM
In all fairness to btdtgtt the broad brush used by Apparently So set in motion the them and us mentality in the first place.

So we all should get the broad brush out every time half witted comments are made by someone with a history of being half witted?

....Or should people with a bit of sense have a bit more sense?

I'm for the latter

north_antrim_hound

I did acknowledge this in my post, apparently so initiated the argument and btdgtt retaliated. Bit of a keyboard version of what happened last weekend lets say. He could even say he was provoked into his post. Imm from north antrim and I found his post offensive.

Northgael1

Quote from: cfclg on April 24, 2014, 01:56:03 PM
Now that its out in the open can anyone provide names of the lamb dearg player and the Glenarm fella that hit him?

I dont thnk naming either player is necesariy im sure neither want there name across the internet

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on April 24, 2014, 02:03:35 PM

So we all should get the broad brush out every time half witted comments are made by someone with a history of being half witted?

I'm for the latter

So am I, but sometimes gobshites who peddle the same ignorant line without recourse think they've garnered some sort of tacit approval if no one takes them to task on it.
At the end of the day a lad has lost the sight in one eye during a game of hurling and no on here knows exactly how it happened. The location of the two clubs involved is pretty secondary to that but some are very quick to jump to conclusions

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: johnneycool on April 24, 2014, 02:32:55 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on April 24, 2014, 02:03:35 PM

I'm for the latter

So am I, but sometimes gobshites who peddle the same ignorant line without recourse think they've garnered some sort of tacit approval if no one takes them to task on it.
At the end of the day a lad has lost the sight in one eye during a game of hurling and no on here knows exactly how it happened. The location of the two clubs involved is pretty secondary to that but some are very quick to jump to conclusions

That's fair comment, in the general scheme of things the two clubs locations doesn't matter and to a lesser extent the two clubs don't matter either. It's the two individuals represening there clubs in a unfit manner. How is more at fault is better left to people who witnessed the events
But if some poster comes on here with a broad brush and attacks a certain area is it appropriate for a seasoned poster to retaliate with the same mindset
Both parties posting where out of order and neither should be defended
I would have thought one of them should know better though

Apparently so

What I stated in my post is my own personal opinion and I am well aware of the fact that the vast majority of people in both North Antrim and Belfast will disagree with me and think I am a complete gobshite. And bdtttgt had every right to criticise me but he keeps going as if the entire north Antrim shares this opinion. They don't, it is one persons opinion on an internet forum ffs. But it is based on my experiences with most Belfast teams apart from a couple of exceptions. I just think all the mouthing on the sideline and the dirty hurling on the field raises too much tension in a lot of games and will lead to incidents like this one. My info is only based on what I've been told from that were there and they say that the lad who commited the offence that caused the eye injury was being harrassed the entire game and apparently had his ear clamped onto by the Lahm Dhearg player. The Glenarm player then swung the hurl back and now we have this unfortunate injury. I wasn't there so I can't confirm this but its what I've been told. The ref has apparently mentioned this in his report and everything will be dealt with accordingly by the county board

I wish the LD player the very best. Is he definitely blinded in that eye then for life? I really hope not

I also hope the young Glenarm player can move on from this. If someone was clamped onto your ear, you don't how you would react. I seriously doubt he intended to cause that kind of injury