Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Na Glinntí Glasa

i was set to travel down to the game on sunday with my father when i found out we wernt sending a team down to the game, rather an U21 squad to fulfill the fixture.

the moment i heard that i cancelled any plans to go as i wasnt wasting my time and money if our county wasnt for bothering.

this was a competitive league game, regardless of it being a 'rubber duck' fixture, and we should of treated it with the same respect that other counties would have.

we want to be treated seriously by other counties at hurling yet we cant even do that ourselves.
hurl like f**k boi!

btdtgtt

Quote from: Dunloy realist on March 24, 2014, 08:42:03 AM
i was set to travel down to the game on sunday with my father when i found out we wernt sending a team down to the game, rather an U21 squad to fulfill the fixture.

the moment i heard that i cancelled any plans to go as i wasnt wasting my time and money if our county wasnt for bothering.

this was a competitive league game, regardless of it being a 'rubber duck' fixture, and we should of treated it with the same respect that other counties would have.

we want to be treated seriously by other counties at hurling yet we cant even do that ourselves.[\b]

Good point - we've just went to congress complaining about not enough competitive games against top counties. Then we do this.
I wonder how our opinions at congress will be treated in future.
An incompetent Laughing stock.
Is there any accountability for the management or administrators?

Lone Shark

Lads I don't know about what the Antrim view is, but I do know this - I've never heard of an intercounty team getting the throw in time wrong before, and I'd find in incredibly coincidental that it happened in the one game where the result was unimportant. I don't know what Antrim were trying to achieve, and I certainly wouldn't blame supporters and players for this - I'm sure they're as hurt and offended as we are - but on an official level, Antrim upset a lot of people down here with that effort yesterday. I don't know what they were trying to achieve with this cute hoor behaviour, but I do believe it was intentional.

Conceding a walkover would have been a more honourable thing to do by far. I won't speak for Brian Whelahan and the players, but if I was part of this Offaly panel, my blood would be absolutely boiling going up to Ballycastle next week. That was insulting, to be honest.

johnneycool

Quote from: btdtgtt on March 24, 2014, 09:06:21 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on March 24, 2014, 08:42:03 AM

we want to be treated seriously by other counties at hurling yet we cant even do that ourselves.[\b]

Good point - we've just went to congress complaining about not enough competitive games against top counties. Then we do this.
I wonder how our opinions at congress will be treated in future.
An incompetent Laughing stock.
Is there any accountability for the management or administrators?

If Kev and his selectors, Dick and Neal ((c) SIE) pull off an ambush on Sunday up in Ballycastle then they'll say their decision has been vindicated...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Lone Shark on March 24, 2014, 09:19:36 AM
Lads I don't know about what the Antrim view is, but I do know this - I've never heard of an intercounty team getting the throw in time wrong before, and I'd find in incredibly coincidental that it happened in the one game where the result was unimportant. I don't know what Antrim were trying to achieve, and I certainly wouldn't blame supporters and players for this - I'm sure they're as hurt and offended as we are - but on an official level, Antrim upset a lot of people down here with that effort yesterday. I don't know what they were trying to achieve with this cute hoor behaviour, but I do believe it was intentional.

Conceding a walkover would have been a more honourable thing to do by far. I won't speak for Brian Whelahan and the players, but if I was part of this Offaly panel, my blood would be absolutely boiling going up to Ballycastle next week. That was insulting, to be honest.

Agreed, they have shit in the nest here and have acutally given Offaly a bigger purpose for Sunday.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 24, 2014, 09:22:50 AM

Agreed, they have shit in the nest here and have acutally given Offaly a bigger purpose for Sunday.

Very true also, Whelahan won't have to say a whole lot in the changing rooms to stirr the Offaly troops into action..

But sure there's still another safety net to go.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on March 24, 2014, 09:28:28 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 24, 2014, 09:22:50 AM

Very true also, Whelahan won't have to say a whole lot in the changing rooms to stirr the Offaly troops into action..

But sure there's still another safety net to go.

Beating Carlow? Hmmmmm sure their club team beat our best club team!! Be harder than you think

NAG1

Well bring them on, BW has no respect for hurling up here so I hope he brings them full guns blazing and our boys can put on a proper show and send them back down the road with a defeat.

Officials getting the time wrong is not on, but it is up to KR what way he wants to use his panel. No point having a panel and not using it. Had Mickey Harte done the same he would have been praised for trying to develop players and the system coming behind the seniors.

Lone Shark

Quote from: NAG1 on March 24, 2014, 09:33:39 AM

Well bring them on, BW has no respect for hurling up here so I hope he brings them full guns blazing and our boys can put on a proper show and send them back down the road with a defeat.

Officials getting the time wrong is not on, but it is up to KR what way he wants to use his panel. No point having a panel and not using it. Had Mickey Harte done the same he would have been praised for trying to develop players and the system coming behind the seniors.

I don't know where you're getting that about BW, you obviously heard him say something that I never did.

And I've no problem with KR picking a weaker team full of fringe panelists, in fairness I couldn't imagine a better game to do so. But if you're going to do that, then name the shagging thing so supporters know what they're getting when they get in their cars and pay out €15 to walk in the gate. Offaly's team wasn't exactly full strength either, in fact it was anything but - but the supporters shelling out cash knew what they were getting, and the team that was picked put in a professional effort in the name of the jersey they were wearing.

Antrim's team for this game didn't do that, and despite your misconceptions of what Offaly people think of Antrim hurling, we know ye're well capable of giving us a hell of a game when ye feel like it, even without a lot of key starters.

NAG1

Quote from: Lone Shark on March 24, 2014, 09:40:56 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on March 24, 2014, 09:33:39 AM

I don't know where you're getting that about BW, you obviously heard him say something that I never did.

And I've no problem with KR picking a weaker team full of fringe panelists, in fairness I couldn't imagine a better game to do so. But if you're going to do that, then name the shagging thing so supporters know what they're getting when they get in their cars and pay out €15 to walk in the gate. Offaly's team wasn't exactly full strength either, in fact it was anything but - but the supporters shelling out cash knew what they were getting, and the team that was picked put in a professional effort in the name of the jersey they were wearing.

Antrim's team for this game didn't do that, and despite your misconceptions of what Offaly people think of Antrim hurling, we know ye're well capable of giving us a hell of a game when ye feel like it, even without a lot of key starters.

LS agree with you there, but here's the thing it adds extra spice to it and we all like that.

Granted the team should have been named in advance for the supporters paying in to make an informed choice.

theskull1

Quote from: hardstation on March 24, 2014, 12:19:50 AM
I'm hearing that Offaly folk were going mad today. They paid €15 into the game. Antrim arrived late, with one senior player.

We are the embarrassment of Ireland.

Putting out a weakened team in such circumstances isn't an Antrim invention. From Antrim's perspective they could well have seen it as an opportunity to blood new players. The game was meaningless. Wouldn't liked to have ponied out to see it though but its not KR's job to give spectators value for money is it? Is everyone in Offaly really surprised? Really?

Arriving late is a strange one ...surely that wouldn't have been intentional?

Don't disagree though that Offaly will try and use it to their advantage, but can't help but feel its a faux motivational angle to take
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

theskull1

Quote from: NAG1 on March 24, 2014, 09:49:05 AM
LS agree with you there, but here's the thing it adds extra spice to it and we all like that.

Granted the team should have been named in advance for the supporters paying in to make an informed choice.

Would Offaly fans had much of a clue of the strength of the team even if it was named? We haven't got that may house hold names
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

Quote from: theskull1 on March 24, 2014, 09:52:37 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on March 24, 2014, 09:49:05 AM

Would Offaly fans had much of a clue of the strength of the team even if it was named? We haven't got that may house hold names

That is true but if you had heard in advance that Antrim were sending down their u21's maybe some would have decided to invest the 15e elsewhere I suppose.

Actually all that aside, the hurling at the weekend was fantastic again.

north_antrim_hound

Jesus the moaning in here is unreal
The throw in time mix up is unforgivable but what's wrong with giving lads who haven't had a game yet a run out
This was always going to be a shadow boxing exercise anyway
If we ran cork to 3 points and Wexford to 1 in ballycastle here then we can beat Offlay

I think some posters on here are hoping they get beat just for a bit of '' told you so''

These current crop of players and management aren't as embarrassing as our support by the look of things

JC dick isn't a selector this year. I think he is concentrating on dunloy

If we beat Offaly I wouldn't blame one of OUR county players coming on here and say up yours
If we get beat by Carlow or whoever in a relegation/ promotion  match then the detractors on here will be saying words to that effect anyway
I have never met kevin Ryan but he was in dunloy last week taking a session with our p/7 players from the school. I mention this to illustrate how much an interest he's showing in all things antrim
I hope he isn't coming on here because it's as embarrassing as our county board, the social club fiasco or turning up late for a meaningless match
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets