Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Would never have thought this would happen in fairness, Rossa's first go at Intermediate, I take it Glenariffe can go beyond Ulster as there was a time limit on past winners
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

There's also no guarantee of winning the Antrim Intermediate also, as Glenariffe will also fancy themselves. I can see both sides to it and 9 years is a lot for a club to suffer in Championship, Antrim suffered 18 years before beating Down to get past the first round!!

Rossa will obviously fancy themselves and getting out of Ulster is easy enough for a team like Rossa, the semi final is the game that will decide if they have actually improved and again no guarantees that they will help the following year in senior championship as we were dicked in the first round and nearly relegated (luckily someone came back to steer the ship ;))

There will be a ripple effect though as it reduces the senior championship, maybe if they run a group system to generate an extra (hidding for us) game but if there are only 7 teams, Loughgiel, Dunloy, Cushendall, Clooney Gaels, Ballycastle St Johns, Naomh Gall then it devalues it a bit
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Seamroga in exile

A good run out today against Offaly over 3 periods of 30 minutes. Finished a draw.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Bonamargy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 25, 2014, 04:43:42 PM
There's also no guarantee of winning the Antrim Intermediate also, as Glenariffe will also fancy themselves. I can see both sides to it and 9 years is a lot for a club to suffer in Championship, Antrim suffered 18 years before beating Down to get past the first round!!

Rossa will obviously fancy themselves and getting out of Ulster is easy enough for a team like Rossa, the semi final is the game that will decide if they have actually improved and again no guarantees that they will help the following year in senior championship as we were dicked in the first round and nearly relegated (luckily someone came back to steer the ship ;))

There will be a ripple effect though as it reduces the senior championship, maybe if they run a group system to generate an extra (hidding for us) game but if there are only 7 teams, Loughgiel, Dunloy, Cushendall, Clooney Gaels, Ballycastle St Johns, Naomh Gall then it devalues it a bit

Sarsfields are also up in division one, so automatically in the Senior championship

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Bonamargy on January 25, 2014, 04:51:13 PM

Sarsfields are also up in division one, so automatically in the Senior championship

Clubs pick the Championship they want, has always been the case, Sarsfields have not won an Intermediate match in 7 odd years , they'll hardly want to play senior championship

Hirty Darry

Quote from: hardstation on September 14, 2013, 10:37:25 PM
Quote from: Hirty Darry on September 14, 2013, 10:35:31 PM
Quote from: hardstation on September 14, 2013, 10:29:52 PM
FAO Milltown Row:

Rossa will win the 2014 Antrim "Intermediate"championship. Be sure to factor this comment in if you referee any of their games next year.

Fixed that for you, that will be your level next year.
Rossa will not be playing Intermediate hurling next year.

Sure I told you this back in September.

Looks like I know your club better than you do HS!

Bonamargy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 25, 2014, 05:46:17 PM

Clubs pick the Championship they want, has always been the case, Sarsfields have not won an Intermediate match in 7 odd years , they'll hardly want to play senior championship

Clubs can elect to play up levels if they wish, they are not allowed to choose to play a lower grade than their league. Division 1 is Senior, 2 is intermediate, 3 is junior, and 4 is the new junior B. Simple as that. Sarsfields are in the Senior championship. Fact!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Bonamargy on January 25, 2014, 07:20:48 PM

Clubs can elect to play up levels if they wish, they are not allowed to choose to play a lower grade than their league. Division 1 is Senior, 2 is intermediate, 3 is junior, and 4 is the new junior B. Simple as that. Sarsfields are in the Senior championship. Fact!

I didn't realise the Johnnies were in Div 2 when they played Intermediate.......

Bonamargy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 25, 2014, 07:32:34 PM

I didn't realise the Johnnies were in Div 2 when they played Intermediate.......

Correct, they were indeed in division 2.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Bonamargy on January 25, 2014, 07:36:30 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 25, 2014, 07:32:34 PM

Correct, they were indeed in division 2.

2010 then hmmm. Fact?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on January 25, 2014, 07:43:38 PM
He's right milltown. They were in Div 2 for one year. They played intermediate that year.

Shame on them, how'd they do in the All Ireland semi final?

Milltown Row2

Sarsfields haven't played senior in over 15 years I'd say (played my first Senior Championship against the Paddies in 88). 8 teams then

btdtgtt

The johnnies lost to a Kilkenny team I think.

Looking only at results I see intermediate as a legitimate step for Rossa. I'm just surprised they have acknowledged it themselves!
For city hurling hopefully it helps them build again long term.

Depending on who is in senior & intermediate then it will be interesting to see the draws on February 4th!

Game time creeping up for the shamrocks - professional preparations as expected.

Seamroga in exile

It's the done thing in the south. Go down a level up to get themselves geared to get back up again. Still not a step to be taken lightly. The correct structure has to be in place at underage level and Rossa certainly have that. It's probably the right thing to do

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: hardstation on January 25, 2014, 09:12:31 PM
True but it is paramount that it not used as a safety net for lack of preparation and commitment.

IMO, with the right preparation and commitment, we could compete well at senior.
true. I was going to add a caveat that yous nearly had us a couple of years ago. Yous aren't that bad.   ;)