Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Hard to have a adult debate with super sensitive adults always waiting to take offence to the point they're reading things that haven't been written.

A signed code of conduct needs to be drawn up and signed by every player above 14 to place an emphasis of respecting the game of hurling and those playing. Don't bother playing the game if you can't get the kids to abide by the code.

I'm having real sympathy for the dad who could very well have been saving his sons life such was the brutality of his attacker. When only one blow with a hurl will do it and you see a young lad using a stick in this way without any regard for what he's doing...I'm sure the primal human instinct to preserve your child's life comes into play....ie thinking has nothing to do with his actions. Should he really have been expected to control that emotion?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

Quote from: theskull1 on October 09, 2013, 10:03:02 AM
Hard to have a adult debate with super sensitive adults always waiting to take offence to the point they're reading things that haven't been written.

A signed code of conduct needs to be drawn up and signed by every player above 14 to place an emphasis of respecting the game of hurling and those playing. Don't bother playing the game if you can't get the kids to abide by the code.

I'm having real sympathy for the dad who could very well have been saving his sons life such was the brutality of his attacker. When only one blow with a hurl will do it and you see a young lad using a stick in this way without any regard for what he's doing...I'm sure the primal human instinct to preserve your child's life comes into play....ie thinking has nothing to do with his actions. Should he really have been expected to control that emotion?

+1

I think the fact this was an amalgamation makes it a bit easier to abdicate responsibility, there wouldnt be that sense that you are letting your club down by getting involved in this type of incident. Maybe that wouldnt have come into it, but it might have played a small part.

At the end of the day the clubs/ Mentors have to take responsibility for the young lads and their development as human beings as well as players. So the knock on effect of this is that the mentors have to be completely disciplined so that it rubs off on their players. (Not easy at times but definitely crucial)

I think a lot of progress has been made on discipline actually but there is always more we can do, I think the best advice you can give to young people involved in any sport when trying to coach or mentor them, is to use role models to show that invariably the most disciplined sports people both on and off the field are generally the most successful.

jftj

Quote from: theskull1 on October 09, 2013, 10:03:02 AM

i have to say i agree totally.i,ve 3 young sons playing and if any 1 of them were in this sort of trouble i,d have scaled the fence in no time.

Tony Baloney

I read in the paper today that Milltown Row started the riot.

Hurler24

Quote from: btdtgtt on October 08, 2013, 01:51:12 PM
Quote from: ArfurFoxAche on October 08, 2013, 01:09:22 PM
Quote from: Hurler24 on October 07, 2013, 11:21:05 PM
I was at the two U16 games on Sunday as our own boys were involved after. The Belfast Geals player pulled him across the head twice and then another kicked him after running on.Almost Domino effect across the pitch as Belfast Geals players attacked Glenshesk ones.The parent in question then left the sideline and went to the aid of his son who was laying on the ground being stamped on.He pushed the Gaels players away as did other parents across the pitch it was at this stage cries went up from gaels parents about him "striking". Missed the reporter being headbutted and hit but heard them shouting at her to get her tits out etc.Disgraceful behaviour from gaels.Also mr2 catch yourself on.Defending your buddies from the city when they are clearly in the wrong.If rumours are to be believed Owen Elliot collecting photos of injuries to Glenshesk players and finding out about their trips to A+E. Also worth noting that St Johns players were at similar carry on off the ball in our own game although not quite to the same extent.

You must have been at a different 'A' final from me Hurler24.  What I saw was 2 committed teams serve up a decent game of hurling, with some great personal battles thrown in and controlled well by the referee.  You would have us all to believe that those shrinking violets from the Town allowed themselves to be roughed up off the ball by those despicable Johnnies men!  What occured in the A final is definitely not 'worth noting', especially if you're making a half-arsed attempt at equating it to what happened in the match that went before.  Chalk and cheese, night and day, black and white all spring to mind.  The only thing 'worth noting' is the manner in which Ballycastle subdued the challenge of the opposition to deservedly win the county title.  Only my opinion mind...

Pure hurlers from the Glens, Pure thugs from Belfast.
Apparently thats always the way.

I think i made it quite clear that the strikes in the A final were not in the same league as the other game but what I will say is that I was behind the St Johns bench and the mentors there whinged at the Belfast referee throughout the game and IN MY OPINION he bottled two red card decisions.St Johns players struck several boys of the ball and the ref only gave yellows?But yes I wont complain about the performance as it was comprehensive to say the least.

Milltown Row2

Belfast referee? Meaning he lives in Belfast, referees, and couldn't give a shite who wins. Maybe with you country ones it's different but most clubs in Belfast dont get on. Are you saying had he been from north Antrim he'd have sent them off and not bottled it?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 09, 2013, 07:12:41 PM
I read in the paper today that Milltown Row started the riot.

That was me running on with my computer smashing it over the kids head, while headbutting the 'parent' who didn't jump the fence and smack the 15/16 year old. I tell ya, that's some going. I also punched all the kids I'm teaching, ignoring the responsibilities that a teacher has. Phewww all in the days work of a mad man.

Oh I'll probably never referee again........... No wait, I'm out this weekend. It's tough being an internet warrior who hides behind.... Oh that's right I don't hide and call myself Parent  8)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

cfclg

Fair play MR2, I honestly admire someone who doesn't hide behind the mouse/keyboard, especially a referee. I however still wish to remain hidden.............

ArfurFoxAche

Quote from: Hurler24 on October 09, 2013, 07:27:41 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on October 08, 2013, 01:51:12 PM
Quote from: ArfurFoxAche on October 08, 2013, 01:09:22 PM
Quote from: Hurler24 on October 07, 2013, 11:21:05 PM
I was at the two U16 games on Sunday as our own boys were involved after. The Belfast Geals player pulled him across the head twice and then another kicked him after running on.Almost Domino effect across the pitch as Belfast Geals players attacked Glenshesk ones.The parent in question then left the sideline and went to the aid of his son who was laying on the ground being stamped on.He pushed the Gaels players away as did other parents across the pitch it was at this stage cries went up from gaels parents about him "striking". Missed the reporter being headbutted and hit but heard them shouting at her to get her tits out etc.Disgraceful behaviour from gaels.Also mr2 catch yourself on.Defending your buddies from the city when they are clearly in the wrong.If rumours are to be believed Owen Elliot collecting photos of injuries to Glenshesk players and finding out about their trips to A+E. Also worth noting that St Johns players were at similar carry on off the ball in our own game although not quite to the same extent.

You must have been at a different 'A' final from me Hurler24.  What I saw was 2 committed teams serve up a decent game of hurling, with some great personal battles thrown in and controlled well by the referee.  You would have us all to believe that those shrinking violets from the Town allowed themselves to be roughed up off the ball by those despicable Johnnies men!  What occured in the A final is definitely not 'worth noting', especially if you're making a half-arsed attempt at equating it to what happened in the match that went before.  Chalk and cheese, night and day, black and white all spring to mind.  The only thing 'worth noting' is the manner in which Ballycastle subdued the challenge of the opposition to deservedly win the county title.  Only my opinion mind...

Pure hurlers from the Glens, Pure thugs from Belfast.
Apparently thats always the way.

I think i made it quite clear that the strikes in the A final were not in the same league as the other game but what I will say is that I was behind the St Johns bench and the mentors there whinged at the Belfast referee throughout the game and IN MY OPINION he bottled two red card decisions.St Johns players struck several boys of the ball and the ref only gave yellows?But yes I wont complain about the performance as it was comprehensive to say the least.

You're right.  All about opinions.  Opinions that are clouded and influenced by partisanship.  For every transgression you highlight, I'm sure a St John's person could highlight similar emanating from Ballycastle.  Nobody has the ability to follow what is happening on or off the ball in every position, so your perception is also limited to what you saw, what you think you saw, or what your fellow clubmen or supporters told you they saw.  Likewise, other people at the ground from both clubs could no doubt quote examples of whinging from the opposition bench or supporters which is clouded by their own myopic view of the game.  It's the same for every game and every club.

This is the main reason that, when i go to watch matches, I try to adopt the solitary fan approach - stand as far away as possible from your own club mates.  Try it yourself.  You'll get a whole new perspective on things.

Some other posters reckon your original post was a rather obvious attempt to denigrate St John's, and Belfast teams in general, on the back of your spat with MR2, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.  I've no desire to be involved in a back and forth on whataboutery so I'll leave this as my last post on the subject, congratulating Ballycastle once again on their victory and wishing both teams the best in their development as hurlers.

The Memory Man

Arfur Fox Ache, at least a man (or maybe a woman!) with a bit of sense on here and a mature attitude to other clubs! :)

Na Glinntí Glasa

I see in the Irish news joeys out till after Cmas now with his thumb. Pity for him as he's a good hurler and one I like.

Also we have to play cdall this weekend in our last game. Some excitement there! Lol
hurl like f**k boi!

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 10, 2013, 01:39:07 PM
I see in the Irish news joeys out till after Cmas now with his thumb. Pity for him as he's a good hurler and one I like.

Also we have to play cdall this weekend in our last game. Some excitement there! Lol
As much as we'll miss him from the team, at least he'll be fresh for the all Ireland semi in February, if we get through of course. He'll also be able to train a little which will be beneficial. It's a pity because he was close to motm playing against McManus.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on October 10, 2013, 06:02:56 PM

As much as we'll miss him from the team, at least he'll be fresh for the all Ireland semi in February, if we get through of course. He'll also be able to train a little which will be beneficial. It's a pity because he was close to motm playing against McManus.

That is crap, he'd work and exams I hear also that will be put back beacuse of the injury and a few pound also.

As said he had a fine game in the county final though most of the Loughgiel forwards played all over the forward line so they weren't naturally picking a player up as such

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 10, 2013, 08:52:21 PM

That is crap, he'd work and exams I hear also that will be put back beacuse of the injury and a few pound also.

As said he had a fine game in the county final though most of the Loughgiel forwards played all over the forward line so they weren't naturally picking a player up as such
which part is crap? It's hard to write with a broken hand. He'll be able to do some light training. Not now, obviously, but he will a few weeks down the line. He hasn't got a broken leg mr2.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on October 10, 2013, 09:04:15 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 10, 2013, 08:52:21 PM

which part is crap? It's hard to write with a broken hand. He'll be able to do some light training. Not now, obviously, but he will a few weeks down the line. He hasn't got a broken leg mr2.

Just talking aboutr what he'd said in the Irish News, its crap that he will be out of work as he can't drive lost out on his exams due to not being able to write as his thumb is smashed!! What did you think I said??????????