Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btdtgtt

Quote from: theskull1 on October 08, 2013, 10:12:49 AM
The 2 incidents I can remember of blatant aggressive pulls to the head (have never seen a woman getting a Glasgow kiss or a player being kicked in the head) from the past we both done by NA hurlers. Both near misses thank god as both victims weren't wearing a lid. Both isolated incidents over 20 years ago now. 

Would it be unfair to say here that poorly prepared juvenile teams in Belfast might have teenagers who would be more susceptible to collectively cutting up rough when they don't posses the right skills to play the game hard and fair. We'd an U14 game abandoned a couple of years ago. There was a sinister pack mentality developed in the opposition after about 10-15 when decisions/the game wasn't running for them there was a string of treacherous wild pulls on our players. 4 players sent off in 5 mins. You could sense there was an understanding amongst the players that this was what had to be done for bragging rights. The lack of instruction from the line played a big part IMO.

Unfair? No just damn ridiculous!
This is true - but where the team is from is irrelevant!
Has there never been a juvenile team from the glens that was "poorly prepared, lacked skills, or didn't play hard but fair"
I can tell you there has been - and I have seen it.
I posted earlier that we shouldn't let geography cloud what happened - this is precisely what you have done!
Did it ever occur to you this is often how southerners view northern hurling? Glensmen included!
Sometimes people can be so blind they don't see their own prejudices. After all - read the posts and u will hear plenty about a grown adult pulling on heads and he is not from Belfast!
Take a step back and look in the mirror and be honest - that's a prejudiced comment.

As for glentaisie report - all shocking, none of it has any place in hurling or in life. I hope they are all dealt with as severely as possible.
But are you really reporting that not a single glenshesk person struck anyone or did anything in the wrong?
Your first post? Common sense tells me it's selective about what u saw or chose to report.

Poor innocent country boys assaulted by thugs from city while enjoying a friendly hurling game eh.
Nobody from the glens ever hit anyone, pulled a stick on someone, verbally abused anyone or jumped the wire.
Nobody. Ever.
All just pure hurling nice guys.

theskull1

Over sensitive jibber jabber btgtgtt

A.  I highlight the 2 times Ive seen such incidents was by NA hurlers  :o. Prejudiced my arse
B. I said "more susceptible to collectively cutting up rough". I never implied NA hurlers haven't carried out shameful acts. It was a question I felt worth asking as the two recent times Ive seen this pack mentality descend into madness were from city teams. Rossa for instance are one of the most disciplined teams in juvenile grades I've seen and the Jonnies also know where to draw the line (or at least close to it). So lets not simplify the discussion so a 4 year old can handle it.

You're the one needs to dry your eyes and take a step back 
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Glentaisie

to btdtgtt

It is indeed my first post.  Does that make it untrue?  This issue was discussed over several pages by posters on here on the basis of a report that somebody had heard.  That report went something like " Gaels player struck a Glenshesk player. Glenshesk player's father jumped the fence and attacked the Gaels player.  Riot ensued. Match abandoned." 

That report was pretty much absolute bollocks but it didn't stop a lot of posters here, who hadn't been at the game, pontificating about it.

I have explained where I was standing, which perhaps, explains why what I saw mainly concerned Gaels.  I did say that a Glenshesk player pushed a Gaels player in the chest and received a blow to the head in return so your assertion that I am "reporting that not a single glenshesk person struck anyone or did anything in the wrong?" is clearly wrong.

I certainly will not accept your old ploy of trying to insinuate that "one's as bad as the other".  They weren't.  I repeat and stand by this,  "It was Gaels who were the instigators and worst perpetrators of violence."

I was there.  I saw what I saw.  You weren't.

You say that you " posted earlier that we shouldn't let geography cloud what happened" and then "Poor innocent country boys assaulted by thugs from city "

Irony fail.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on October 08, 2013, 12:21:52 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on October 08, 2013, 10:12:49 AM
The 2 incidents I can remember of blatant aggressive pulls to the head (have never seen a woman getting a Glasgow kiss or a player being kicked in the head) from the past we both done by NA hurlers. Both near misses thank god as both victims weren't wearing a lid. Both isolated incidents over 20 years ago now. 

Would it be unfair to say here that poorly prepared juvenile teams in Belfast might have teenagers who would be more susceptible to collectively cutting up rough when they don't posses the right skills to play the game hard and fair. We'd an U14 game abandoned a couple of years ago. There was a sinister pack mentality developed in the opposition after about 10-15 when decisions/the game wasn't running for them there was a string of treacherous wild pulls on our players. 4 players sent off in 5 mins. You could sense there was an understanding amongst the players that this was what had to be done for bragging rights. The lack of instruction from the line played a big part IMO.

Unfair? No just damn ridiculous!
This is true - but where the team is from is irrelevant!
Has there never been a juvenile team from the glens that was "poorly prepared, lacked skills, or didn't play hard but fair"
I can tell you there has been - and I have seen it.
I posted earlier that we shouldn't let geography cloud what happened - this is precisely what you have done!
Did it ever occur to you this is often how southerners view northern hurling? Glensmen included!
Sometimes people can be so blind they don't see their own prejudices. After all - read the posts and u will hear plenty about a grown adult pulling on heads and he is not from Belfast!
Take a step back and look in the mirror and be honest - that's a prejudiced comment.

As for glentaisie report - all shocking, none of it has any place in hurling or in life. I hope they are all dealt with as severely as possible.
But are you really reporting that not a single glenshesk person struck anyone or did anything in the wrong?
Your first post? Common sense tells me it's selective about what u saw or chose to report.

Poor innocent country boys assaulted by thugs from city while enjoying a friendly hurling game eh.
Nobody from the glens ever hit anyone, pulled a stick on someone, verbally abused anyone or jumped the wire.
Nobody. Ever.
All just pure hurling nice guys.

Look again we are getting into a them and us situation, pointless as said already we can point to loads of incidents from our own clubs were we have seen it first hand.

My view (If I'm allowed to have one without it being reported for being bad!!) is that this grade and minor is the worst to control, too bloody hyped up and think they are invincible, the mouthing back at the referee is to be heard to be believed, I don't stand for it myself and have sent lads off, slabbering will continue unless you do something about it. This match should have finished off handy enough with the lead they had, but something/someone sparked it of.

I'm surprised the referee didn't get the blame here for 'allowing it to happen'. Be a strange one legally to hit both clubs as it happened while the team is playing as amalgamation. minefield

Glentaisie, this is a forum for debating, on most occasions people will debate on things they were not witness to, like the things going on in other countries, or the troubles or....... you get my point. Yes there was a report on it by someone who heard from someone, Chinese whispers, apparently I caused it all and have been at the centre of all things bad in Antrim as some parent said on the OFFICIAL ANTRIM BOARD. Again this person heard a story from one guy and so on.

You said you were there and I 'll take that at face value, why would I think any different? It's a terrible scene you have described, and not once has it been said by any posters on here to be anything other than atrocious. The wee debate with NAH was whether someone should jump the fence, it could have been about this incident  or anyother one (which it seems was the case) but NAH's stands by his reasoning and I'll stand by mine on it. it doesn't relate to what went on.... Phewwwww
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Quote from: theskull1 on October 08, 2013, 12:37:13 PM
Over sensitive jibber jabber btgtgtt

A.  I highlight the 2 times Ive seen such incidents was by NA hurlers  :o. Prejudiced my arse
B. I said "more susceptible to collectively cutting up rough". I never implied NA hurlers haven't carried out shameful acts. It was a question I felt worth asking as the two recent times Ive seen this pack mentality descend into madness were from city teams. Rossa for instance are one of the most disciplined teams in juvenile grades I've seen and the Jonnies also know where to draw the line (or at least close to it). So lets not simplify the discussion so a 4 year old can handle it.

You're the one needs to dry your eyes and take a step back

Thats fair enough Skull - but your post does specifically say Belfast.
As I said - the geographical element is irrelevant. 
It should have been left out of that post - its prejudiced - there's no other way of taking the comment.
I'm not saying everything you have posted is prejudiced (or that you are) but like I say - associated those characteristics exclusively with with Belfast should not happen.

Jeepers Creepers

I think we are getting a general picture now of what happend, so its now up to the county board (one of which was there) to sort it out.

btdtgtt

Quote from: Glentaisie on October 08, 2013, 12:40:45 PM
to btdtgtt

It is indeed my first post.  Does that make it untrue? 
Nope - and i didnt imply that.

This issue was discussed over several pages by posters on here on the basis of a report that somebody had heard.  That report went something like " Gaels player struck a Glenshesk player. Glenshesk player's father jumped the fence and attacked the Gaels player.  Riot ensued. Match abandoned." 

That report was pretty much absolute bollocks but it didn't stop a lot of posters here, who hadn't been at the game, pontificating about it.

I have explained where I was standing, which perhaps, explains why what I saw mainly concerned Gaels.  I did say that a Glenshesk player pushed a Gaels player in the chest and received a blow to the head in return so your assertion that I am "reporting that not a single glenshesk person struck anyone or did anything in the wrong?" is clearly wrong.

Common sense tells me that a push to the chest was not the only aggression shown by the Glenshesk contingent. I've also heard other reports just as valid as your own - which tell me such.

I certainly will not accept your old ploy of trying to insinuate that "one's as bad as the other".  They weren't.  I repeat and stand by this,  "It was Gaels who were the instigators and worst perpetrators of violence."

I was there.  I saw what I saw.  You weren't.

Thats true but like I say the reports I have heard are as valid as yours.
Now - the fact is that from what i've heard the Belfast gaels team were the agressors, they were totally out of order, and they showed nothing of what a hurling team should.
I don't subscribe to the notion that "one is as bad as the other" and never said I did.

The point I am making is that this incident should not be used as a stick to beat Belfast with. Similar acts have been carried out by North Antrim teams over the years. Your report is ridiculously one-sided - for example you just posted;
"It was Gaels who were the instigators and worst perpetrators of violence."
The "worst" But not the only perpetrators. Your first post made it seem like they were the only guilty party. Thats key - lets not assume nobody in Glenshesk has also a case to answer - or that violence is a uniquely Belfast thing. It isn't. Far from it. And not just a "push in the chest".

You say that you " posted earlier that we shouldn't let geography cloud what happened" and then "Poor innocent country boys assaulted by thugs from city "

Irony fail.

Not at all - like I said I am referring to the generalisation. Your report is so one sided it loses credibility. There seems to be an assumption that this is Belfast behaviour in general - and Glensmen are brought into it.
I'm sorry but I've seen the truth with my own eyes and Glensmen have history here. I wasnt there - but I am quite sure there are Glensmen who were guilty of violence at this game too.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

ArfurFoxAche

Quote from: Hurler24 on October 07, 2013, 11:21:05 PM
I was at the two U16 games on Sunday as our own boys were involved after. The Belfast Geals player pulled him across the head twice and then another kicked him after running on.Almost Domino effect across the pitch as Belfast Geals players attacked Glenshesk ones.The parent in question then left the sideline and went to the aid of his son who was laying on the ground being stamped on.He pushed the Gaels players away as did other parents across the pitch it was at this stage cries went up from gaels parents about him "striking". Missed the reporter being headbutted and hit but heard them shouting at her to get her tits out etc.Disgraceful behaviour from gaels.Also mr2 catch yourself on.Defending your buddies from the city when they are clearly in the wrong.If rumours are to be believed Owen Elliot collecting photos of injuries to Glenshesk players and finding out about their trips to A+E. Also worth noting that St Johns players were at similar carry on off the ball in our own game although not quite to the same extent.

You must have been at a different 'A' final from me Hurler24.  What I saw was 2 committed teams serve up a decent game of hurling, with some great personal battles thrown in and controlled well by the referee.  You would have us all to believe that those shrinking violets from the Town allowed themselves to be roughed up off the ball by those despicable Johnnies men!  What occured in the A final is definitely not 'worth noting', especially if you're making a half-arsed attempt at equating it to what happened in the match that went before.  Chalk and cheese, night and day, black and white all spring to mind.  The only thing 'worth noting' is the manner in which Ballycastle subdued the challenge of the opposition to deservedly win the county title.  Only my opinion mind...

Glentaisie

To Milltown Row

Glentaisie, this is a forum for debating, on most occasions people will debate on things they were not witness to, like the things going on in other countries, or the troubles or....... you get my point. Yes there was a report on it by someone who heard from someone, Chinese whispers, apparently I caused it all and have been at the centre of all things bad in Antrim as some parent said on the OFFICIAL ANTRIM BOARD. Again this person heard a story from one guy and so on.

I understand this.  I have been reading this forum for a couple of years now.  But having been there and having witnessed what I did  and then reading what I thought was ill-informed debate was what prompted me to register and post.  You caused it all?  I thought it was Loughgiel's fault.

You said you were there and I 'll take that at face value, why would I think any different? It's a terrible scene you have described, and not once has it been said by any posters on here to be anything other than atrocious. The wee debate with NAH was whether someone should jump the fence, it could have been about this incident  or anyother one (which it seems was the case) but NAH's stands by his reasoning and I'll stand by mine on it. it doesn't relate to what went on.... Phewwwww

I was there. Why would you think any different?  I have no connection to either the Carey club or the Armoy club and have no axe to grind against either St Paul's or Sarsfields. 
Maybe it's a North Antrim thing, but I would tend to sympathise with NAH's view.
One other thing.  The parent who allegedly jumped the fence (apparently that is certainly untrue) and assaulted the Gael's player (which apparently he denies) is someone that I have never heard referred to as a thug or bully boy.  Neither, as far as I know, is he some numpty who would be giving abuse from the wrong side of the fence each Sunday.  In fact his level of education might match your own, so no numpty surely?

Glentaisie

to btdtgtt

" Your report is so one sided it loses credibility". 

In that case the fact that you weren't there negates any point you make.

" Your first post made it seem like they were the only guilty party.

No.  You obviously don't understand what you read.  I said as you yourself pointed out, ""It was Gaels who were the instigators and worst perpetrators of violence."  That implies that there was violence from both sides.

I certainly did not say that what I saw was all that happened. In any case, while, as Milltown Row pointed out this is a debating forum, I registered to post what I had seen, and to leave it to you expert debaters to make what you would of it.

And finally, your comment that, "There are none so blind as those who will not see."  Well maybe those who cannot see because they weren't there.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Glentaisie on October 08, 2013, 01:17:24 PM
To Milltown Row

I understand this.  I have been reading this forum for a couple of years now.  But having been there and having witnessed what I did  and then reading what I thought was ill-informed debate was what prompted me to register and post.  You caused it all?  I thought it was Loughgiel's fault.

I was there. Why would you think any different?  I have no connection to either the Carey club or the Armoy club and have no axe to grind against either St Paul's or Sarsfields. 
Maybe it's a North Antrim thing, but I would tend to sympathise with NAH's view.
One other thing.  The parent who allegedly jumped the fence (apparently that is certainly untrue) and assaulted the Gael's player (which apparently he denies) is someone that I have never heard referred to as a thug or bully boy.  Neither, as far as I know, is he some numpty who would be giving abuse from the wrong side of the fence each Sunday.  In fact his level of education might match your own, so no numpty surely?

Read my posts again, NAH said that he'd find it difficult to not jump the fence, I said that that would be daft as it would only escalate the problem. you agree with that? I think we can all say that if a parent (not relating this incident as it never happened)  come on to the pitch and hits a 15/16 year old will find himself in a bad light. I agreed with you saying you were there. I didn't call anyone a numpty, it was a general term for someone who would jump the fence and hit child, and I called a numpty a person who would give abuse to a referee. I didn't call the person who jumped the fence this as he apparently didn't jump the fence or hit anyone. What you have failed to say is nowhere in any of my posts have I tried to defend the actions of anyone involved in this and have said that the officials there will have seen everything and hopefully get everyone involved.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Quote from: ArfurFoxAche on October 08, 2013, 01:09:22 PM
Quote from: Hurler24 on October 07, 2013, 11:21:05 PM
I was at the two U16 games on Sunday as our own boys were involved after. The Belfast Geals player pulled him across the head twice and then another kicked him after running on.Almost Domino effect across the pitch as Belfast Geals players attacked Glenshesk ones.The parent in question then left the sideline and went to the aid of his son who was laying on the ground being stamped on.He pushed the Gaels players away as did other parents across the pitch it was at this stage cries went up from gaels parents about him "striking". Missed the reporter being headbutted and hit but heard them shouting at her to get her tits out etc.Disgraceful behaviour from gaels.Also mr2 catch yourself on.Defending your buddies from the city when they are clearly in the wrong.If rumours are to be believed Owen Elliot collecting photos of injuries to Glenshesk players and finding out about their trips to A+E. Also worth noting that St Johns players were at similar carry on off the ball in our own game although not quite to the same extent.

You must have been at a different 'A' final from me Hurler24.  What I saw was 2 committed teams serve up a decent game of hurling, with some great personal battles thrown in and controlled well by the referee.  You would have us all to believe that those shrinking violets from the Town allowed themselves to be roughed up off the ball by those despicable Johnnies men!  What occured in the A final is definitely not 'worth noting', especially if you're making a half-arsed attempt at equating it to what happened in the match that went before.  Chalk and cheese, night and day, black and white all spring to mind.  The only thing 'worth noting' is the manner in which Ballycastle subdued the challenge of the opposition to deservedly win the county title.  Only my opinion mind...

Pure hurlers from the Glens, Pure thugs from Belfast.
Apparently thats always the way.

Na Glinntí Glasa

I'm with the rest here

It's loughgiel a fault ;)
hurl like f**k boi!

btdtgtt

Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 08, 2013, 01:58:43 PM
I'm with the rest here

It's loughgiel a fault ;)

It was them that shot JFK too.

Glentaisie

To Milltown Row

Read my posts again, NAH said that he'd find it difficult to not jump the fence, I said that that would be daft as it would only escalate the problem. you agree with that? I think we can all say that if a parent (not relating this incident as it never happened)  come on to the pitch and hits a 15/16 year old will find himself in a bad light.

And I sympathise with NAH's view but yes it would almost certainly escalate things and the parent would be seen in a bad light.

I didn't call anyone a numpty, it was a general term for someone who would jump the fence and hit child, and I called a numpty a person who would give abuse to a referee. I didn't call the person who jumped the fence this as he apparently didn't jump the fence or hit anyone.

Fair enough.

What you have failed to say is nowhere in any of my posts have I tried to defend the actions of anyone involved in this and have said that the officials there will have seen everything and hopefully get everyone involved.

I wasn't criticising/attacking anything you said. Merely, for the most part, trying to add a few facts to the debate.  As I said before, I didn't register and post to argue with anybody.