Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seamroga in exile

Yeah. It's pretty sad.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: optimus cheese on August 11, 2013, 08:28:08 PM
Funny today. Chatting to a couple of Cork people today after the game. They were pissing themselves at the antics of this place. Silly people with silly wee empires. They have rival clubs down in langerland too, but not to this extent. Couldn't get their head around people here taking club stuff so serious yet don't care about county. Suppose that's why they win stuff and are respected while we travelling the same ground again and again. Big fish small pond I guess. Who wins the 'championship' this year? I really couldn't care

Very true, if any other county  is reading this board  it is a bit embarrassing. It's one thing having no interest in your county but some of the subjects on here are woefull. We have an u21 quarter final coming up and I see our u16  squad was beat yesterday by Donegal. But what's the obsession on here
What some clown is posting on twitter.  What's really sad, lets forget about the image we are projecting to outside counties . Lets consider some young impressionable player with county aspirations  checks in here for a look. Imm not blaming players for showing no interest in county hurling anymore. I think collectively our indifference and apathy to it is contributing more to the status quo. I haven't any more solutions than anyone else imm just making an observation.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

optimus cheese

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on August 11, 2013, 09:08:26 PM
Funny today. Chatting to a couple of Cork people today after the game. They were pissing themselves at the antics of this place. Silly people with silly wee empires. They have rival clubs down in langerland too, but not to this extent. Couldn't get their head around people here taking club stuff so serious yet don't care about county. Suppose that's why they win stuff and are respected while we travelling the same ground again and again. Big fish small pond I guess. Who wins the 'championship' this year? I really couldn't care

Very true, if any other county  is reading this board  it is a bit embarrassing. It's one thing having no interest in your county but some of the subjects on here are woefull. We have an u21 quarter final coming up and I see our u16  squad was beat yesterday by Donegal. But what's the obsession on here
What some clown is posting on twitter.  What's really sad, lets forget about the image we are projecting to outside counties . Lets consider some young impressionable player with county aspirations  checks in here for a look. Imm not blaming players for showing no interest in county hurling anymore. I think collectively our indifference and apathy to it is contributing more to the status quo. I haven't any more solutions than anyone else imm just making an observation.

I'm actually depressed about the whole thing. Love the sport, it's my life. But this crap in this county drives me despair. Proper fed up

Seamroga in exile

Lads, it's OK because it's a happy camp. Haven't you heard?
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: optimus cheese on August 11, 2013, 09:41:16 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on August 11, 2013, 09:08:26 PM

I'm actually depressed about the whole thing. Love the sport, it's my life. But this crap in this county drives me despair. Proper fed up

+1
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

samboswig

I fully agree with Optimus Cheese. Time to scrap this god forsaken toxic county set up in this province and apply a rugby provincial model to Ulster Hurling. Surely if an Ulster team had reached a semi final like yesterday we would all be buzzing about it beforehand and only a fookin clown would say ' aye but it should only be Antrim '.

If my club even only had one player on the field of play, I would still have a club mate representing us at the highest stage in an actual real match that is important and not some curtain raiser sh ite.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on August 11, 2013, 07:20:22 PM
We scored 3-28 yesterday. Not bad for a team in disarray. Allegedly.  :o

aye but yous conceeded 0-19 the defence is obviously week!  :P  ;D
hurl like f**k boi!

Na Glinntí Glasa

antrim can win an all ireland U21 hurling title by 2015 according to Kevin Ryan.

what you all think? read the article and he speaks alot of sense. we do have that attitude that were going to get beat when the county plays. maybe were so used to being defeated that we accept defeat even before entering the field.

club wise, we know that our clubs can win an all ireland as lgiel proved. i know from our clubs perspective that if were in the semi finals that we can win, as the likes of ourselves, Rossa and Ballycastle have done. so why is it different at club level than the county?

was in tipp at the weekend and when asked where i was from they knew straight away. they counld name all the clubs like Loughgiel, cushendall, ballycastle st johns etc. they were full of praise of how good our clubs are and the standard we can play at but were amazed that we didnt take it onto county level and progress.

i couldnt tell him why we cant seem to progress.
hurl like f**k boi!

theskull1

The strong counties would have probably 10-20 times more senior club hurlers. 50 times more passionate hurling supporters. Its down to numbers

Passionate hurling men in Antrim have become more pragmatic and see the AICH as the best way to achieve. No one I know has any REAL affinity with our County Board. We are a disparate bunch
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

Quote from: theskull1 on August 13, 2013, 12:48:12 PM
The strong counties would have probably 10-20 times more senior club hurlers. 50 times more passionate hurling supporters. Its down to numbers

Passionate hurling men in Antrim have become more pragmatic and see the AICH as the best way to achieve. No one I know has any REAL affinity with our County Board. We are a disparate bunch

+1

It is a numbers game and numbers is something we dont have, if we paid the proper respect to Belfast and helped to expand and develop the game in a large urban area we might be able to increase the numbers. But with an unwillingness of Croke park to invest in the second city and lack of interest from a lot of the GAA fraternity in Belfast then we are struggling.

We are no where near competing at u21 level and for KR to claim this does his credibility no good, for a man I would have alot of time for.

pullhard

Quote from: hardstation on August 10, 2013, 01:24:12 AM
There are a number of issues with Casement. One being that we have now lost our county ground to the Ulster Council.
Brit government puts in 65 million.
GAA in Dublin puts in 15 million.
Antrim GAA hands over a ground worth whatever million.
Ulster council don't give a washer and take over the ground.

The whole thing has been handled disgracefully. A bunch of fcukin shysters.
I don't understand why there isn't a multi use ground. Casement as it stands is a too big and is left to rot most of the year. Its pity Ulster rugby and GAA couldn't work on something together. Then the ground would have some use in the wintertime and the place could develop in a community hub. Getting this government money would have been a great chance to build a shared future.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: NAG1 on August 13, 2013, 12:51:52 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on August 13, 2013, 12:48:12 PM

+1

It is a numbers game and numbers is something we dont have, if we paid the proper respect to Belfast and helped to expand and develop the game in a large urban area we might be able to increase the numbers. But with an unwillingness of Croke park to invest in the second city and lack of interest from a lot of the GAA fraternity in Belfast then we are struggling.

We are no where near competing at u21 level and for KR to claim this does his credibility no good, for a man I would have alot of time for.

i agree, its bad that for the size of belfast we only have 2 division 1 teams in it from the city. look at the football where its dominated at the top levels by city teams.

that in is where the problem is, clubs are more football orintated in belfast where as in north antrim its hurling.
hurl like f**k boi!

NAG1

Quote from: pullhard on August 13, 2013, 12:59:02 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 10, 2013, 01:24:12 AM
There are a number of issues with Casement. One being that we have now lost our county ground to the Ulster Council.
Brit government puts in 65 million.
GAA in Dublin puts in 15 million.
Antrim GAA hands over a ground worth whatever million.
Ulster council don't give a washer and take over the ground.

The whole thing has been handled disgracefully. A bunch of fcukin shysters.
I don't understand why there isn't a multi use ground. Casement as it stands is a too big and is left to rot most of the year. Its pity Ulster rugby and GAA couldn't work on something together. Then the ground would have some use in the wintertime and the place could develop in a community hub. Getting this government money would have been a great chance to build a shared future.

Seriously?   ::)

Has to be a WUM

btdtgtt

Couple of big topics there lads!

1) without getting political about shared futures - it is somewhat curious to completely rebuild a stadium which is not only perfectly fit for purpose - but which sits idle 99% of the year and has rarely been filled if ever in my lifetime.

2) there is little or no doubt that if Antrim as a county are to progress - then the key to this is maximising the numerical potential in Belfast. The glens can't bring Antrim to a top level themselves and Belfast (like any urban area) needs help - and needs to help ourselves. Dublin's success is not just down to investment - they had good people doing the right things.

NAG1

Quote from: btdtgtt on August 13, 2013, 01:38:48 PM
Couple of big topics there lads!

1) without getting political about shared futures - it is somewhat curious to completely rebuild a stadium which is not only perfectly fit for purpose - but which sits idle 99% of the year and has rarely been filled if ever in my lifetime.

2) there is little or no doubt that if Antrim as a county are to progress - then the key to this is maximising the numerical potential in Belfast. The glens can't bring Antrim to a top level themselves and Belfast (like any urban area) needs help - and needs to help ourselves. Dublin's success is not just down to investment - they had good people doing the right things.

correction

They had good paid people doing the right things on the ground in each club and then up the chain also.
It was investment that got them to where they are today plain and simple.