Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

I have not retired!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manballandall

No but you should be :)

Glensman

Quote from: btdtgtt on March 06, 2013, 02:51:21 PM
McCarry and fellow Loughgiel man Mark McFadden have been drafted into the squad along with Ballycastle's Stephen McAree by manager Kevin Ryan.
"With the three lads coming in, the panel is more or less settled now. It's a solid enough panel with a lot of cover for all the various positions."

I didnt agree with it anyway but this makes a mockery of his "closed-door" statements.

Laverty out and Barry McFall an injury doubt - personally I don't rate him so no huge loss.
Would be delighted if we could build on the Limerick performance and put one over Dublin.
Carlow and Wexford definitely beatable.

Where does McAree play?

Is that Conor Laverty out? of squad or injured?

btdtgtt

Out injured for the game this weekend.

Glensman

Quote from: btdtgtt on March 06, 2013, 11:24:21 PM
Out injured for the game this weekend.

Cheers. Had heard he did rightly v Limerick so was confused.

As regards closed squad is there no way back for Hippy?

btdtgtt

Doesn't sound like the squad was closed at all. 

I think this is right - but it shows it was a stupid comment in the first place if its not stuck to.

Jesusjones

The lad from Ballycastle is Stephen Mc Afee, not Mc Aree. He plays in midfield or the odd time in the full foward line. Good hurler and lightening quick, I'd have high hopes he will make a county hurler. On the minus side he is a bit light.

theskull1

Quote from: btdtgtt on March 06, 2013, 11:57:51 PM
I think this is right - but it shows it was a stupid comment in the first place if its not stuck to.

Lazy and condescending comment from yourself more like. Its clear by his comments re closed squad the man isnt going to be dicked around by players who "might" think the can swan in whenever it suits THEM rather than the team. I admire him for trying to set a standard but at the same time being flexible to those who want to commit in a solid way. I'd also expect him to be flexible to any that show good form in the club leagues but haven't yet been approached to join the panel yet. 
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: theskull1 on March 07, 2013, 09:42:06 AM

Lazy and condescending comment from yourself more like. Its clear by his comments re closed squad the man isnt going to be dicked around by players who "might" think the can swan in whenever it suits THEM rather than the team. I admire him for trying to set a standard but at the same time being flexible to those who want to commit in a solid way. I'd also expect him to be flexible to any that show good form in the club leagues but haven't yet been approached to join the panel yet.

Spot on skull, if you talk to any of panel they like and respect him. But he wont placate prima dona part timers. If we  want to be competitive we have start working and thinking like the competition. Looks like we are doing just as well with less high profile players that are clearly more committed. I don't know what he's doing with them but they are champing at the bit. We seen all this before so let's hope for a good summer. As for his press statements they seem a lot more balanced than last years manager.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

johnneycool

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on March 07, 2013, 10:55:46 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on March 07, 2013, 09:42:06 AM

Spot on skull, if you talk to any of panel they like and respect him. But he wont placate prima dona part timers. If we  want to be competitive we have start working and thinking like the competition. Looks like we are doing just as well with less high profile players that are clearly more committed. I don't know what he's doing with them but they are champing at the bit. We seen all this before so let's hope for a good summer. As for his press statements they seem a lot more balanced than last years manager.

FFS, joey bartons tweets are more balanced that last years Antrim manager.

btdtgtt

Can you not read?
Go over my posts then from when the issues started!

I said the panel should never be declared closed - theres always room for a club player in form or an injury return.
But at the time I also said that Ryan was correct to exclude players who opted out for different reasons (ie) lack of commitment.

Sure, the door stays closed for these guys - while flexible with other factors. Thats straight-forward.

What is said was foolish - was making a blanket statement that the door was closed!
And I stand by this - after all Ryan has went against it himself!
He sais it was closed - he should have left himself the flexibility of bringing others on - whilst making the point that those who lacked commitment now would be rightly excluded for the season.

Simple - instead of taking a concrete position and now (altho I agree with adding new lads) having to go against it.

There nothing wither lazy or condescending about that.
Whats lazy is not reading the full thread, and what's condescending is you arguing from a flawed position.

Flutehook

Sorry for off-topic intrusion. Heading up to Casement tomorrow and wondering what's best/safest place to park around there?

Thanks.

Flutehook

Quote from: hardstation on March 09, 2013, 07:10:22 PM
Quote from: Flutehook on March 09, 2013, 07:07:12 PM
Sorry for off-topic intrusion. Heading up to Casement tomorrow and wondering what's best/safest place to park around there?

Thanks.
Drive to the front gates and look for a spot, you'll not have much problem.

Thanks for that hs

Minder

Quote from: manballandall on March 06, 2013, 08:31:39 PM
I think st galls could find it tough enough. Very young team this year with a lot of older guys injured, retired, etc. I hope I'm wrong

I hear they only had 13 for the Ulster League game yesterday against Glenariffe.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

saffron89

Don't think that scenario would ever be the case if it was big ball. Goin to head to casement today to get behind Kevin Ryan and his young saffron team. 

Have read a bit on here I would be dubious of how much say or use Antrim teams will get in the new ulster headquarters which will be casement park. Might be filled 2/3 times a year. At least no more traffic jams in clones, I'd say few clones publicans devastated. Many a pint had in that town.