Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Where does one go with such an incomprehensible post ?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

oisinog

Quote from: btdtgtt on October 23, 2012, 10:25:29 AM
From the eternal whispers around - I hear it looks like 2 teams going up from Div1 to Div2? Anyone else hear this?

Basically the Glens clubs black-balled the suggestion of 4 teams promoted, but are willing to support 2 going up.

As I said before I see the merits here but no doubt a few of my fellow city lads will note some suggestion of geographical bias here?!

Belfast team promoted - so lo and behold bring a NA team up as well?
Promote 4? Not if the other 2 are from the city?!

Like I have said I suppose I do agree with this given the points tally in Div2 but I'm sure our Galls friends (and Sars) will not - and as for the Oisins Minder?
Have your friends in the Glens not given you a massive foot up here?

This is only rumours

When ever we see the suggestions put out by the focus group (or whatever they call themself) no one will know what is going to happen.

Also before anything is agreeded 70% of the clubs must vote in agreement

NAG1

Yeah was thinking that myself  ::)

btdtgtt

Yes that true - this group will put a proposal together - but it will need passed by the 70% or whatver the number is.

However, I believe there's a bit of behind the scenes stuff where by the group will tailor their recommendation so the big NA clubs will vote in favour rather than lose face / waste time. Maybe somewhat of a compromise. All clubs have already been given the opportunity to feedback.
Obviously football clubs will go with the flow.

But as you say Minder / NAG time will tell once the rumours are replaced by something concrete.

manballandall

Behind the scenes goings on in Antrim ? People have been hung for less

theskull1

Was there not a motion passed at an annual convention a couple of years ago that decreed that any agreed changes to league formats would not take place until the end of the following years competitions. This was I believe brought in after Ballycastle got staying in division 1 a few years ago.

Are these proposals not running rough shod over this very acceptable motion?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

manballandall

Quote from: theskull1 on October 23, 2012, 01:26:30 PM
Was there not a motion passed at an annual convention a couple of years ago that decreed that any agreed changes to league formats would not take place until the end of the following years competitions. This was I believe brought in after Ballycastle got staying in division 1 a few years ago.

Are these proposals not running rough shod over this very acceptable motion?

I think if you look at the small print there is a by law that states that it purely depends on what teams are affected ;)

btdtgtt

Very good manandball!
Yes I think the teams affected  and subsequent changes in structure have been a little more than coincidence in years gone by!
I wonder had a city team have finished 2nd to Glenarriffe would we be seeing any changes at all?
Or if the 3rd placed team was from the Glens might we see more promoted?

But like I said before - I can see merit in 2up on this occasion regardless of geography.

Skull - the rule you are talking about was passed but it included a clause which dictated that changes could be immediate if a hifgher percentage (not sure exact figure) was in favour rather than plain majority.

NAG1

Quote from: btdtgtt on October 23, 2012, 01:55:12 PM
Very good manandball!
Yes I think the teams affected  and subsequent changes in structure have been a little more than coincidence in years gone by!
I wonder had a city team have finished 2nd to Glenarriffe would we be seeing any changes at all?

But like I said before - I can see merit in 2up on this occasion regardless of geography.

Skull - the rule you are talking about was passed but it included a clause which dictated that changes could be immediate if a hifgher percentage (not sure exact figure) was in favour rather than plain majority.

We have had this debate back and forward, you name me a team that could/ will compete in Div 1 from Belfast? St Johns are holding their own literally on home form alone, the M2 seems to have a serious effect on them.

Unless they are ready to compete and be competitive all through the league games then they have no place in Div1. IMO

btdtgtt

Quote from: NAG1 on October 23, 2012, 02:01:59 PM
Very good manandball!

We have had this debate back and forward, you name me a team that could/ will compete in Div 1 from Belfast? St Johns are holding their own literally on home form alone, the M2 seems to have a serious effect on them.

Unless they are ready to compete and be competitive all through the league games then they have no place in Div1. IMO

Well I will let Hardstation answer that in case I am a bandwagon jumper - and I dare say MR2 and manandball might offer some replies also.

NAG1

Quote from: btdtgtt on October 23, 2012, 02:11:02 PM
Very good manandball!

Well I will let Hardstation answer that in case I am a bandwagon jumper - and I dare say MR2 and manandball might offer some replies also.

Im not talking about a team that can play one off league games when it suits them, Im talking about teams that will compete week in week out from May to August through the holiday period and despite stag parties etc.

btdtgtt

Maybe thats why I left it to my fellow city gaels!
Time will tell for the city teams I suppose.

manballandall

Quote from: NAG1 on October 23, 2012, 02:16:58 PM
Very good manandball!

Im not talking about a team that can play one off league games when it suits them, Im talking about teams that will compete week in week out from May to August through the holiday period and despite stag parties etc.
That rules out glenariff then as they came second in the league albeit to a belfast team and fielded a weakened team due a stag party (how dare they)...so no one promoted then.
Comical

manballandall

Very good manandball!

Nag look back at my previous posts and see some of the scores recorded in Div 1 this year...hardly competitive. Although excuses/reasons were given your statement above says this isnt allowed or acceptable.

NAG1

Quote from: manballandall on October 23, 2012, 02:30:07 PM
Very good manandball!

Nag look back at my previous posts and see some of the scores recorded in Div 1 this year...hardly competitive. Although excuses/reasons were given your statement above says this isnt allowed or acceptable.

Manballandall,

You are missing the point, there is a hue and cry about this division and about the city teams not being included. My point is that there is no coincidence between the fact the the 3 teams LG, CDall and Dunloy finish top each year. Its because they work the hardest at training they are the most committed and they are competitive in 99 percent of their league games.
Of course every player/ team are entitled to a holiday and stag party here and there, but the point is these are rare occasions that they affect the teams toward the top of the table.

So by your reasoning, by opening the division up to another crop of weaker teams this is going to improve the overall standard? Can you imagine the score lines next year if this is the case?