Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballybredagh

Great to see the progress made by McQuillans this year under Michael McShane and Joe Cassidy. U21's and reserves are the feeder teams for the seniors and I hope to see the town back at the top of the pile in the next year or two. With 100% commitment to the cause and the talent at their disposal, I think they will do it.

Gizzy15

Quote from: BlackandAmber on October 20, 2012, 07:11:14 PM
Just in for 15 minutes for a quick bite........and then more drink!

Reserve Cup to the Town 2-15 to 1-16

and beat Dunloy St Johns Cushendall and Loughgeil to get it

u-21 & Reserve champonships to the Town this year. like to think thats promisin  ;D

well done to them boys!

Well done to ballycastle, think like sg said now is the time for the hard work, obvious that a lot of good players there, think rossa and johnnies in same boat. Just need to put the head down and believe in the boys around you.

Winners will always win because they believe they will. That's the mindset that's needed and if the three clubs mentioned could really get to the level (and above) of the current top three then the county championship and the county itself would go to the next level. Competing to win not competing to compete.

btdtgtt

How far off the big 3 are ballycastle?

Gizzy15

Prob just in the head that they arnt top 3. and that can make a big difference. I watched rossa get pipped by Dunloy  during late 90's early 2000's . To everyone they seemed streets ahead but rossa had a great young team that kept running them really close but couldn't get over the line ( in the lead til last few mins on a few occasions) but the difference was that Dunloy knew or believed they would win.

Sleeping giant

Quote from: Ballybredagh on October 20, 2012, 10:05:12 PM
Great to see the progress made by McQuillans this year under Michael McShane and Joe Cassidy. U21's and reserves are the feeder teams for the seniors and I hope to see the town back at the top of the pile in the next year or two. With 100% commitment to the cause and the talent at their disposal, I think they will do it.
it takes more than a year or 2 IMO,  the one thing ballycastle miss with all this youth, is a few leaders.  if 6 or 7 of these young lads had came about when pinky or ronan donnelly were in there prime, mixed youth with experience would of been a proper team,   but it all takes time,   and of course   BELIEF ;D
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Ballybredagh

The town did it before with a mix of experience and youth. When their team of the late 70's broke through they had 7/8 minors on the team, but you are right SG it takes the experience to make it happen.

Seamroga in exile

Congrats to the town. Well deserved. Did it the hard way.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Seamroga in exile

On another note, players not in the reckoning for Antrim but should be.

1- Kevin McQuillan.

Sleeping giant

??? Seriously?   IMO couldnt make a difference.  Not saying he's a bad player.  Plenty of them out there.   Decent but not county material players.
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Fairhead

Quote from: BlackandAmber on October 20, 2012, 07:11:14 PM
Just in for 15 minutes for a quick bite........and then more drink!

Reserve Cup to the Town 2-15 to 1-16

and beat Dunloy St Johns Cushendall and Loughgeil to get it

u-21 & Reserve champonships to the Town this year. like to think thats promisin  ;D

well done to them boys!

Yes well done indeed to the reserves. We have had some beatings over a long number of years at reserve so particualrly delighted for some of the lads who have soldiered away over the years and have got their reward now. Thats 2 adult county titles in one year, the first time the club have done that since '86. The seniors werent far away against Dunloy and put in some good performances in the league so all in all a good season imo.

Strong again at u21 next year (only lose 1 from this year) so hopefully we make a big push to win that again. Need to keep working hard over the next couple of years at senior and then we should be in a position to really challenge for the championship.

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Sleeping giant on October 21, 2012, 04:57:19 PM
??? Seriously?   IMO couldnt make a difference.  Not saying he's a bad player.  Plenty of them out there.   Decent but not county material players.
man of the match against us first league game of the season. I think he plays his heart out every game. The  sort of player Antrim could do with.

2. Shay casey 

NAG1

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on October 22, 2012, 09:20:25 PM
Quote from: Sleeping giant on October 21, 2012, 04:57:19 PM
man of the match against us first league game of the season. I think he plays his heart out every game. The  sort of player Antrim could do with.

2. Shay casey

This should be standard for all players and is definitely not a recommendation for County level hurling.

Also number 2, Too light to progress past the level he is at, IMHO.

Antrim Gael

Quote from: Buswhacker on October 18, 2012, 10:20:38 AM
He'll need luck to be sure.....but he'll need a bit more enthusiasm and co-operation from clubs and players more.

Starting with your own club Bushwhacker.  Is it true there were no players from your club at the recent meeting, great enthusiasm and co-operation there. 

maxpower

I really don't like discussion about players not on County Panels, its a case of sticking decent players names forward for others to shoot them down.  If I was cynical I waould say a Loughgiel man starting the discussion with a Dunloy man as his reference knows this!

As for the player him, Kevin has improved immeasurably as last two years, previously more noted for his football and on the County Panel that reached the Ulster Final.  He is exactly the type a style of player Antrim need, athletic and strong ball winners in the half forward line.  After Eddie McCloskey and Neal McManus I can't think of too many more half forwards as capable of winning their own ball.
What happens next????

btdtgtt

From the eternal whispers around - I hear it looks like 2 teams going up from Div1 to Div2? Anyone else hear this?

Basically the Glens clubs black-balled the suggestion of 4 teams promoted, but are willing to support 2 going up.

As I said before I see the merits here but no doubt a few of my fellow city lads will note some suggestion of geographical bias here?!

Belfast team promoted - so lo and behold bring a NA team up as well?
Promote 4? Not if the other 2 are from the city?!

Like I have said I suppose I do agree with this given the points tally in Div2 but I'm sure our Galls friends (and Sars) will not - and as for the Oisins Minder?
Have your friends in the Glens not given you a massive foot up here?