Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

north aontroim gael

Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 15, 2012, 01:15:01 PM
never understood that one myself about the tipp club teams. they never seem to do well in munster at all.
too early yet to decide whos the team to watch at the min as now its into winter hurling and the tough teams will make it through now.
lgiel will be favourites to retain their title,well up here they are, tho the southern media will make some other team the favourite solely based on the county they come from for some unknown reason!

If LG are fortunate enough to get past Portaferry I still don't think they will be favourites against the Galway champions and to be honest I'd be happy with that scenario.

north aontroim gael

Since 1970/71 ony 4 teams have retained the AI Club Hurling title. 

- Sarsfields
- Athenry
- Birr
- Portumna

That stat alone tells the story, thats 1 retention every 10 years or so.

NAG1

Quote from: north aontroim gael on October 15, 2012, 01:34:48 PM
Since 1970/71 ony 4 teams have retained the AI Club Hurling title. 

- Sarsfields
- Athenry
- Birr
- Portumna

That stat alone tells the story, thats 1 retention every 10 years or so.

Timing really is everything isnt it Realist!  ;)

maxpower

Its incredible to think Dunloy played, and either drew or beat every team on that list!
What happens next????

Sleeping giant

Timing nag.   A dall team at it's peak played a piss poor Galway team, and had an average enough Waterford team beat. And didn't time either that well. 
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

NAG1

Quote from: Sleeping giant on October 15, 2012, 01:54:17 PM
Timing nag.   A dall team at it's peak played a piss poor Galway team, and had an average enough Waterford team beat. And didn't time either that well.

Was referring to the list which was above and would agree with you on both counts!

north aontroim gael

Quote from: maxpower on October 15, 2012, 01:48:18 PM
Its incredible to think Dunloy played, and either drew or beat every team on that list!

What's incredible is that they managed to beat (or holding Birr to a draw) all of them at some point but never managed to win the All Ireland given what the line up of teams they did beat.  The drawn game is the one which I'm sure irks Dunloy people as the rest of the finals were very one sided.

I was at all of the games (apart from the Newtonshandrum) one and they could never seem to get a real foothold in the games.

Remember the year they beat Athenry (in Clones I think when J. Cunning got the winning goal) some atmosphere.

Megaman

Quote from: Sleeping giant on October 15, 2012, 01:22:00 PM
Loughgiel will not be favorites.  There will be at least 4 maybe 5 teams at the minute ahead of them.   Rightly so.  Sure we beat no1 last year :o.

+1

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Megaman on October 15, 2012, 02:20:03 PM
Loughgiel will not be favorites.  There will be at least 4 maybe 5 teams at the minute ahead of them.   Rightly so.  Sure we beat no1 last year :o.

+1
apart from the munster and leinster champions of course.  :D
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: north aontroim gael on October 15, 2012, 01:59:30 PM
Quote from: maxpower on October 15, 2012, 01:48:18 PM

What's incredible is that they managed to beat (or holding Birr to a draw) all of them at some point but never managed to win the All Ireland given what the line up of teams they did beat.  The drawn game is the one which I'm sure irks Dunloy people as the rest of the finals were very one sided.

I was at all of the games (apart from the Newtonshandrum) one and they could never seem to get a real foothold in the games.

Remember the year they beat Athenry (in Clones I think when J. Cunning got the winning goal) some atmosphere.
Have been at every all Ireland club game we have played. Seen great wins and heartbreaks along the way.
95 was very painful as we had it in the bag at half time. 96 was tough to take as well as we played brilliant in the semi final win over glenmore at Croke park only to lost in the final again.
Worst defeat for me was sarsfields replay when they had 2 sent off and we lost. That was very disappointing.
But some great wins over mout sion ESP was a brilliant match.
Antrim clubs never get enough credit over the border in hurling when we have never disgraced ourselves and have held our own.
hurl like f**k boi!

btdtgtt

Loughiel 10/3favs
Ballyhale 7/2
Thurles 7/1
De la salle 7/1
Oulart 12/1

Loughiel odds skewed somewhat because bookies consider them in all-Ireland semi already where others will have big games just to get that far.
But favourites they are!

Sleeping giant

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on October 15, 2012, 04:06:30 PM
Quote from: Megaman on October 15, 2012, 02:20:03 PM

+1
apart from the munster and leinster champions of course.  :D
Oh aye.  That's right :D

Na Glinntí Glasa

Hah! Use will listen to me yet! Lol
hurl like f**k boi!

Sleeping giant

Quote from: btdtgtt on October 15, 2012, 05:06:57 PM
Loughiel 10/3favs
Ballyhale 7/2
Thurles 7/1
De la salle 7/1
Oulart 12/1

Loughiel odds skewed somewhat because bookies consider them in all-Ireland semi already where others will have big games just to get that far.
But favourites they are!
Should IMO nearly be other way around

Sleeping giant

Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 15, 2012, 05:24:46 PM
Hah! Use will listen to me yet! Lol
How's a lad suppose to make money there realist??