Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 12, 2012, 12:01:13 PM

Championship needs more teams. Too many teams are content with being in the intermediate championship.

And a possibility of a run in the AI intermediate series rather than wanting to play senior championship!

Its understandable to an extent that a club may want to do that, but I think you need a strong county board to prevent teams who could and should be competing in the senior taking the easier option for silverware. I'm not so sure you have that in Antrim as can be seen by the number of times the leagues change back and forth.

manballandall

Champions league style championship was tried before. It didn't work as there loads of pointless games and some heavy hammering a for clubs. No one benifits.

The league structure was used before. We were top that year winning all out games, won our semi and lost the final to a team who lost 4 games that year to our one, the final.  Waste of time.

Current league structure works. It isn't broke. It doesn't need fixing.

Championship needs more teams. Too many teams are content with being in the intermediate championship.

Right so let me get this right then....you dont want any more teams in div 1 because of teh hammerings they will get yet you want more teams in the championship ?....so teams play all year in div 2 then you want them to play senior championship...and they wont get a hammering /. What good is that to anyone ?
Where as if there were more teams plying their trade in div 1, playing against higher quality teams week in and out then they might stand a better chance in the championship. No?

And sorry minder you must have me confused with someone else unless my memory is deserting me. Would one of thos better players you had have played at corner back ;)

btdtgtt

Quote from: manballandall on October 12, 2012, 04:02:18 PM
Champions league style championship was tried before. It didn't work as there loads of pointless games and some heavy hammering a for clubs. No one benifits.

The league structure was used before. We were top that year winning all out games, won our semi and lost the final to a team who lost 4 games that year to our one, the final.  Waste of time.

Current league structure works. It isn't broke. It doesn't need fixing.

Right so let me get this right then....you dont want any more teams in div 1 because of teh hammerings they will get yet you want more teams in the championship ?....so teams play all year in div 2 then you want them to play senior championship...and they wont get a hammering /. What good is that to anyone ?
Where as if there were more teams plying their trade in div 1, playing against higher quality teams week in and out then they might stand a better chance in the championship. No?

And sorry minder you must have me confused with someone else unless my memory is deserting me. Would one of thos better players you had have played at corner back ;)

+1
Undisputable.

thedog 83

Antrim Senior Hurling Championship 2013 Idea

This is my idea for next years Championship (dates are only a guide by the way):

10 teams - Loughgiel, Dunloy, Cushendall, St Johns, Glenariffe, Ballycastle, Cloughmills, Rossa, Sarsfields and St Galls.

Open draw played on 1st weekend of August (3rd and 4th) with 5 winners through to the 1/4 finals.

5 losing teams play then in a round robin system through the rest of August with the top 3 then through to the 1/4 finals.

RD 1 -  10th and 11th August (Team 1 v team 2 and team 3 v team 4)
RD 2 -  14th and 15th August (team 5 v team 1 and team 2 v team 3)
RD 3 - 21st and 22nd August (team 4 v team 5 and team 1 v team 3)
RD 4 - 24th and 25th August (team 2 v team 4 and team 5 v team 3 )
RD 5 - 28th and 29th August (team 1 v team 4 and team 2 v team 5)

1/4 finals on w/e 7th and 8th September.

Semi finals on 17th and 18th September

Final 29th September. 

I think this way might work and give the 5 losing teams more games and then give them a chance of providing a shock or 2 come the knock out stages.  Also everyone gets a minimum of 2 games!!

Also I know it could be a bit of a problem regarding Gaelic Football fixtures for the CCC but I think it has a chance.

Any thoughts/tweaks etc  :)

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnneycool on October 12, 2012, 11:20:26 AM
Quote from: CitySlicker11 on October 12, 2012, 11:17:04 AM
I would argue that Glenarrif played at a decent level over those years. For a club of their relative small size, seven years (if correct) in a row in the top flight is not a bad achievement. Dwindling numbers and rural location will always prevent them from challenging for major honours.

How small is the catchment area of Glenariffe?

I'd say we've a smaller catchment area.
About 1800 people in Glenariffe. Traditionally would have people from some outlying areas but talking about selection from total of 2000 people (remove non-eligble players; women, elderly etc. you arent talking about a very big pool to draw from).

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on October 13, 2012, 10:27:17 PM
What's the craic with their underage teams? I may be having a blank here but I don't remember ever seeing them play.

Cause they play in the NAL (North Antrim Leagues) maybe Tony could answer that better
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

But you wouldn't have played Cloughmills, shane O'Neils or the lesser lights, Cushendun also on that list of 2nd div minor teams
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on October 13, 2012, 10:49:53 PM
Remember those teams, maybe not Glenarm right enough. But, Jaysis, surely we'd have met them at some blitz or something?

Like the question asked a couple of weeks back. Do McDermotts have underage teams?

No, they (McDees) did in my day, but when I played the north Antrim teams it was only the main ones. Can't mind playing anybody bar the main teams, even at Blitz's. I also played All County minor for 2 years, Derry teams in it also but no other teams

Seamroga in exile

Yous two boys must be ancient.  :P
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Antrim Coaster

North Antrim is divided into 2 grades at underage, the A Grade being - Loughgiel, Cushendall, Ballycastle, St Brendan's etc. Glenariff play in the B Grade - Glenarm, Rasharkin, Sean Stinsons, Creggan, Larne etc. A few Dunloy underage teams were playing in the B grade until recently.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on October 14, 2012, 09:38:16 AM
What sort of outfit fielding for Ulster? Hardly risk the top boys against Middletown!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 14, 2012, 10:41:03 AM
What sort of outfit fielding for Ulster? Hardly risk the top boys against Middletown!

Middletown should have won the All Ireland last year at Intermediate level if they have done any work since then they would be decent enough

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 14, 2012, 10:56:03 AM

Middletown should have won the All Ireland last year at Intermediate level if they have done any work since then they would be decent enough
we played them in a warm up before the all Ireland, semi. Put 5-25 past them. I'd think we'd field our strongest team.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 14, 2012, 10:56:03 AM

That may be so but they are missing a couple of players and I watched them scrape past Cuchullains in the county final. They are very much an intermediate team and I just hope they keep within double figures of the Shamrocks today.

Seamroga in exile

Portaferry stuffing swatragh. 20 points to 1-6.