Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: btdtgtt on September 06, 2012, 02:25:28 PM
Jim Connolly of Rossa - just for a city dimension!

Slow day at work I know but there's a recession on.

Jim specialized in coming in behind for the catch, he was good at it, but if you'd enough wit to stay on his catching arm he struggle to compete physically for the size of him, it'd take a D8 dozer to shift Gary Savage..

Wee Noel Sands was never a catcher, his low centre of gravity was his thing, hard to knock off a ball in full flight. The bandy legs came in handy.

I only ever had one encounter with Clute and he was done at that stage, but was still strong as an ox too.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Jesusjones on September 06, 2012, 02:59:19 PM
Clute and Sands were great hurlers but never known for catching, Gary O' Kane on the other hand was an exceptional catcher of a ball. Graffin is top notch as well for a wee fella.

Clute was exceptional at catching a ball also. His timing and leap was not much bettered during his time. Offaly semi final when he caught the ball landed and planted in the back of the net to win the match was unreal.

Gary is looking after the minor team now, give me dogs abuse (well not that bad) last time I refereed his team!!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: CitySlicker11 on September 06, 2012, 03:36:42 PM
Gary O'Kane had been Dunloy's senior manager for the last number of years?

Thought I spotted mushy along the line the last time they were down with us, maybe in a fitness advisory role  ;D

Milltown Row2

Clute and Sands were great hurlers but never known for catching, Gary O' Kane on the other hand was an exceptional catcher of a ball. Graffin is top notch as well for a wee fella.

Clute was exceptional at catching a ball also. His timing and leap was not much bettered during his time. Offaly semi final when he caught the ball landed and planted in the back of the net to win the match was unreal.

Gary is looking after the minor team now, give me dogs abuse (well not that bad) last time I refereed his team!!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 06, 2012, 03:47:54 PM

Clute had a brilliant hand on him, seen him catching ball over far bigger full backs for years for Armoy
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Na Glinntí Glasa

Gary's the manager of our minor team this year. Mushy and his brother Damian along with john martin are the hurling managers or the seniors
hurl like f**k boi!

Antrim Coaster

Sean Paul McKillop another good man under a dropping ball as was Skinner McAlister from Cushendall. Jim Connolly, Gary O'Kane and Gazza were masters of the craft

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 06, 2012, 03:47:54 PM

Caught another great ball over his (much bigger) man's head in the first half of the Offaly game and was immediately dragged down for a penalty.

saffron89

Cloot great hand and just an all rounder, seen him at the armoy game there though i think he rarely gets involved.

Ciaran Barr had a might catch on him at a stage.  McAuley very good display on Sunday.

would have went up the nite to cushendall if i thought it wasn't shadow boxing.  Don't think it should be as C'Dall need a stiff run before they face Dunloy.

Gary O'Kane good head and very skillful, his first day was probably his worst for the county ie 89 final, felt a little hiccup form Jimbo there.  Sorry to upset his red and white followers there i.e. st Pauls

Jesusjones

Big Jackie was lethal on his day under a high ball. I remember him catching at least 10 balls off Mike Houlahan in a railway cup game up in Casement. Ulster won the semi that day, great game.

btdtgtt

Don't wanna personally slant anyone but for the size of him jackie Carson didn't win enough high ball for me. Seen him turn out a few too often.

Saffrongael

Quote from: btdtgtt on September 06, 2012, 05:40:27 PM
Don't wanna personally slant anyone but for the size of him jackie Carson didn't win enough high ball for me. Seen him turn out a few too often.

Would agree, he had a great hand but too often had the wing mirrors on. With his ability and physique he should have been unplayable.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

MilltownBlues

Anton McCaff has a great hand!! Pitty he let himself go abit  :-\

pdiddy

All square in cushendall 1-5 each.
When a team loses, there's always a row at half time, but when they win, its an inspirational speech

pdiddy

Loughgiel 4 up at half time. Both teams at full strength afaik.
When a team loses, there's always a row at half time, but when they win, its an inspirational speech