Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dunloy realist on September 06, 2012, 08:56:26 AM
That's we competed in senior championship and div 1 at both codes. So did rossa. Only st johns are doing it at the min.
Is it a case now of concentrating on the one code your most likely to have success at?

Possibly, but it's unfair on some players if the other code takes preference. We are at that point, intermediate level at hurling and senior level at football. Bummer
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Na Glinntí Glasa

Same for us tho our footballers should be in div 2. They made a pigs ear of their away games this season and could of went up had they done better.

Fair play to st johns for still being at the top in both codes. Don't know how they do it! Must be tough on the dual players. 
hurl like f**k boi!

Jesusjones

We actually did have a football team up until around 1970 but the interest just wasn't there to sustain it. I think we even won the North Antrim Football Championship in the early 60's.

maxpower

I don't actually think at senior level is when you notice the biggest trouble with a dual club.  Hurling needs to be coached intensively at a young age, that an u14 can only really train one night a week because of other commitments means dual clubs often lack the some of the finer skills.

A big one i find is striking, in Loughgiel, Cushendall and Ballycastle they can all strike it for miles, but in alot of dual clubs many of the players just don't have the same distance, obviously plenty of exceptions, but in my own club these exceptions tend to be the players that focused predominantly on hurling at underage.

Now other skills that are picked up quicker in football do translate, the sidestep, peripheral vision etc can be better in dual clubs as can teamwork (though ironically i think this is were loughgiel have excelled)

It has its advantages but overall i've no doubt skills not mastered at that young age can never be recovered at senior level
What happens next????

Na Glinntí Glasa

Very true. Under age is where the kids get the skills and it at that stage you make them for the future.

We have extremely lucky this year that at U14 we have won the football, hurling and camogie. Granted we lost the football and hurling county finals but to win at the 3 codes for one club hasn't been done for a while. Hopefully we keep these kids going up through the grades as our current u16 and minors are weak due to lack of numbers.
hurl like f**k boi!

btdtgtt

Quote from: maxpower on September 06, 2012, 11:36:03 AM
I don't actually think at senior level is when you notice the biggest trouble with a dual club.  Hurling needs to be coached intensively at a young age, that an u14 can only really train one night a week because of other commitments means dual clubs often lack the some of the finer skills.

A big one i find is striking, in Loughgiel, Cushendall and Ballycastle they can all strike it for miles, but in alot of dual clubs many of the players just don't have the same distance, obviously plenty of exceptions, but in my own club these exceptions tend to be the players that focused predominantly on hurling at underage.

Now other skills that are picked up quicker in football do translate, the sidestep, peripheral vision etc can be better in dual clubs as can teamwork (though ironically i think this is were loughgiel have excelled)

It has its advantages but overall i've no doubt skills not mastered at that young age can never be recovered at senior level

Very true!
The problems for dual clubs begin long before senior!

I think the points you make kind of get at the thing we all know - anybody can kick a football but hurling requires much greater skill levels! Thats why we love it!

How to solve this problem?
Well the dual clubs have been proudly trying for years but no solution in sight!

johnneycool

Quote from: maxpower on September 06, 2012, 11:36:03 AM

I've always found lads with a bit of football in their background were far better at getting off the ground when catching a hurling ball.
Most hurlers I know catch a ball with both feet on the ground, never hindered Gary Savage though as he was as good as a catcher I've seen and he couldn't jump to save himself.

Na Glinntí Glasa

If you want to know how to catch a ball see Neil mc auley!  On Sunday he caught just about everything going against us!
hurl like f**k boi!

Jesusjones

Neil Mc Auley's catching was superb, not a big lad either 5'10 or so.

johnneycool

Quote from: Jesusjones on September 06, 2012, 02:18:39 PM
Neil Mc Auley's catching was superb, not a big lad either 5'10 or so.

Same as gazza, positional sense, strength and timing were his key skills at the catching

btdtgtt

Jim Connolly of Rossa - just for a city dimension!

Slow day at work I know but there's a recession on.

Milltown Row2

For small men (like me self) Clute and Gary OKane were the best. Sands was pretty good also
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Is Gary O'Kane involved in coaching anyone?

Incredible for club and county.

Jesusjones

Clute and Sands were great hurlers but never known for catching, Gary O' Kane on the other hand was an exceptional catcher of a ball. Graffin is top notch as well for a wee fella.

CitySlicker11

Gary O'Kane had been Dunloy's senior manager for the last number of years?