Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the colonel

Quote from: manballandall on July 24, 2012, 12:17:55 PM
A bit touchy there colonel...is it not a reflection on any manager though if players wont commit to him ?

He is calling a clubmate and someone I respect a bluffer. I believe it to be entirely untrue so I am going to defend them. Some players seem to only want to hurl on their terms. Is it a bad reflection on Brian Cody that Cha Fitzpatrick won't hurl for Kilkenny? St Gall's footballers and Antrim. You could go on. A very throw away viewpoint manballandall
the difference between success and failure is energy

manballandall

You seem the pathetic one with your constant belittling of someone who I would be sure has given Antrim far more service than yourself.

Supposedly better doesn't cut it. The big players were poor and believed too much in their own hype. This year, several players wouldn't train, refused to wear certain numbers, slept in for Ulster Finals. Players needed to take a good look at themselves and I include some of our own who wouldn't go. Down were a good team and I'd say they never get the credit they deserved.
[/quote]
I take your point on board colonel but when it is several players involved which you stated then I think they may be an issue with the manager....i know with the st galls footballers there was a clash with the manager

NAG1

HS has an issue with Sambo, we all know that and understand the reasons behind it Colonel being a club mate is always going to stick up for him, no big deal, nothing to see here move on!

btdtgtt

Apologies HS and manandball - out on road and reading while driving. Picked up McCullough post wrong! Agreed on most points then.

manballandall

Quote from: the colonel on July 24, 2012, 12:02:58 PM
Quote from: hardstation on July 24, 2012, 11:46:33 AM
Quote from: the colonel on July 24, 2012, 11:43:17 AM
Quote from: hardstation on July 24, 2012, 11:29:52 AM
They probably should do but we prefer complete bluffers in Antrim.

And who is this a dig at?
Wallis, Sambo........you decide.

Bluffer?? Wind your neck in. The former made a mess of things however how much grief has Dick O'Kane got over him walking away? Sambo gets beaten with the same stick over and over again. And hopefully he only keeps on one job next year- managing our u12s

all irrelevant now anyhow as it seems he has found his niche now...they must be a good team ;)

Milltown Row2

Seems to be the major thing within Antrim county setups and even more so in clubs, getting respect from the players and getting them to commit. When you are winning games this is not a problem, Loughgiel, Cushendall will have a fair few lads committed to training and putting effort into their matches.

Mainly due to the fact that the team could go on and win championships and have a good run at All Irelands. My own club have the same  attitude (well football) numbers at training and lads buying into the thought of winning a All Ireland (again)

Trying to build that from a county/club that hasn't been winning or in contention is a major problem, throw in the odd internal feuding and it becomes a lot harder. Only needs one player to be rowing in the other direction to ruin a team.

I'd say county management is wile hard to do, so many Prima donna's with big ideas of themselves all in the one changing room!! Good luck to anyone interested in taking these things on
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

the colonel

Quote from: manballandall on July 24, 2012, 12:37:45 PM
Quote from: the colonel on July 24, 2012, 12:02:58 PM
Quote from: hardstation on July 24, 2012, 11:46:33 AM
Quote from: the colonel on July 24, 2012, 11:43:17 AM
Quote from: hardstation on July 24, 2012, 11:29:52 AM
They probably should do but we prefer complete bluffers in Antrim.

And who is this a dig at?
Wallis, Sambo........you decide.

Bluffer?? Wind your neck in. The former made a mess of things however how much grief has Dick O'Kane got over him walking away? Sambo gets beaten with the same stick over and over again. And hopefully he only keeps on one job next year- managing our u12s

all irrelevant now anyhow as it seems he has found his niche now...they must be a good team ;)

Not as good as last years team which he wasn't involved with  :)
the difference between success and failure is energy

NAG1

Lads we have been here for a while now as far as I see it, a manager is there to create the right atmosphere and ethos to make the team successful. He is there to deal with any issues which arise while keeping everyone focused and on the right path. I for one dont believe that you can do this and coach the team at every training session. So he is required to build a team around himself, problem seems to be that we have had too many big egos along the line who wouldnt let any control out of their area and then they dont receive any backing when things blow up.

Manager there to pick the team make the big calls, deal with the press and create the unity and togetherness for the group. A hurling coach to coach the team in the method that the manager wants and to the mangers style/ tactics of hurling. So in my rationale the Manager doesnt necessarily need to be a great ex player or even a good player, as long as he is respected.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on July 24, 2012, 01:11:17 PM
Lads we have been here for a while now as far as I see it, a manager is there to create the right atmosphere and ethos to make the team successful. He is there to deal with any issues which arise while keeping everyone focused and on the right path. I for one dont believe that you can do this and coach the team at every training session. So he is required to build a team around himself, problem seems to be that we have had too many big egos along the line who wouldnt let any control out of their area and then they dont receive any backing when things blow up.

Manager there to pick the team make the big calls, deal with the press and create the unity and togetherness for the group. A hurling coach to coach the team in the method that the manager wants and to the mangers style/ tactics of hurling. So in my rationale the Manager doesnt necessarily need to be a great ex player or even a good player, as long as he is respected.

Correct
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manballandall

Totally agree NAG...man management also a massive necessity.

Still no one has gave any suggestions ?

NAG1

Off the top of my head people who could fill either manager or coach role,

Brian White
Shane Elliott
Jim Nelson

That would be my kind of thinking on it, I know there are more out there just was a quick response.

optimus cheese

Doubt Jim will take it, Jonty maybe deserves a shot but then there is the likelihood that any appointment from within the county is likely to lead to crying that the manager is a Cushendall/Loughgiel/Dunloy/Belfast etc etc bastard who won't pick our players and hates everyone because he is alleged to have had a bad pint in their club once. Then we are back to square one. Think you do need someone from outside really, both manager and coach.
Football, would Lenny Harbinson not do a good job? Didn't do badly with St Gall's

NAG1

I wasnt advocating any of the above for it was merely pointing out the type of person I feel would be suited, but I would be one that wouldnt be in favour of having MJ involved. Nothing to do with him being from Belfast or being a successful under age coach. Pure and simple I dont think he is the type of character I would want representing me as Manager of my county team, personal opinion yes but there you go.

As I said if before if you go for a general manager he can then build a team around him capable of getting all clubs on board, that's part of being the manager.

Two Hands FFS

Surely someone in here could do the job? We have a few experts.

NAG1

And a few Egos Two Hands  :D