Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

riddle_me_this

With training sessions boasting 10-12 players before this whole situation arose perhaps it was just pure necessity to bring extra players at this stage?? I mean JN was asked to step in to salvage the remaining two weeks of the season. He saw the best way to do this was strengthen the panal. Men were asked from various clubs as far as im aware, seems that the only ones that responded were the LG players and they have left themselves up for ridicule for doing this..? Can i ask anyone what there alternative would have been, carrying a panal of approx 20 players, including injured players and also players that every one of you have considered not up to county standard.

Now I totally agree, its not ideal bringing players into a panal 2 weeks before a c'ship game, but as i said it seems it was necessary given the lack of numbers or dedication shown previously.

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: riddle_me_this on June 22, 2012, 09:25:14 AM
With training sessions boasting 10-12 players before this whole situation arose perhaps it was just pure necessity to bring extra players at this stage?? I mean JN was asked to step in to salvage the remaining two weeks of the season. He saw the best way to do this was strengthen the panal. Men were asked from various clubs as far as im aware, seems that the only ones that responded were the LG players and they have left themselves up for ridicule for doing this..? Can i ask anyone what there alternative would have been, carrying a panal of approx 20 players, including injured players and also players that every one of you have considered not up to county standard.

Now I totally agree, its not ideal bringing players into a panal 2 weeks before a c'ship game, but as i said it seems it was necessary given the lack of numbers or dedication shown previously.
You're correct. New players were asked from other clubs as well. Most turned up.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: clootfromthe21 on June 22, 2012, 09:20:47 AM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on June 22, 2012, 06:22:23 AM
Quote from: CitySlicker11 on June 22, 2012, 02:06:12 AM
A few players have walked since the introduction of these boys who have not trained all year and walking in at a late stage? IMO I don't blame the ones that have received their first call up, however, the ones that were invited along at the start of the year and declined, but have now returned are the ones in the wrong here.
No, you've got it wrong. All the fellas who have been training all year are all still there along with the 5 lg lads, of which only 2 have "returned" as you put it. The other 3 were not there previously.

The Cushendall lads that didn't turn up on Tuesday were new to the panel also. The Dall players that were there previously all showed up on Tuesday night. This seems to have been missed by some on here.

There's a challenge match tomorrow for Antrim and everyone that was called up on Tuesday has been called up for tomorrow as well. Let's hope they all show up, eh?

Who we playing?
limerick or Laois.

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on June 22, 2012, 10:08:56 AM
Quote from: clootfromthe21 on June 22, 2012, 09:20:47 AM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on June 22, 2012, 06:22:23 AM
Quote from: CitySlicker11 on June 22, 2012, 02:06:12 AM
A few players have walked since the introduction of these boys who have not trained all year and walking in at a late stage? IMO I don't blame the ones that have received their first call up, however, the ones that were invited along at the start of the year and declined, but have now returned are the ones in the wrong here.
No, you've got it wrong. All the fellas who have been training all year are all still there along with the 5 lg lads, of which only 2 have "returned" as you put it. The other 3 were not there previously.

The Cushendall lads that didn't turn up on Tuesday were new to the panel also. The Dall players that were there previously all showed up on Tuesday night. This seems to have been missed by some on here.

There's a challenge match tomorrow for Antrim and everyone that was called up on Tuesday has been called up for tomorrow as well. Let's hope they all show up, eh?

Who we playing?
limerick or Laois.

In the challenge match????

Seamroga in exile

Sorry, thought you meant championship. I believe it's an in house game.

CitySlicker11

15 or 16 at training last night, despite the call ups, can you confirm that SIE? Also thought it was harsh that apparently when i game was started all of these new boys were included at the expense of some of the boys that have trained all year? Disgrace if true. Not the right way to go about this, there has to be some form of loyalty shown to those who have committed.

NAG1

Quote from: CitySlicker11 on June 22, 2012, 01:36:18 PM
15 or 16 at training last night, despite the call ups, can you confirm that SIE? Also thought it was harsh that apparently when i game was started all of these new boys were included at the expense of some of the boys that have trained all year? Disgrace if true. Not the right way to go about this, there has to be some form of loyalty shown to those who have committed.

Or maybe they have watched the guys on the panel for 6 months now and know what they are capable of and have to have a longer look at the new guys to see if they are up to the pace and what they can do!

theskull1

I struggle with the notion that JN in taking on this position at such late notice has to in some way restrict himself to "the boys" who've been there all year. Just does not make sense. Surely he's allowed to be his own man an call up the panel he feels he can get the most out of.  Surely growns up can live with that,  disappointed as some may be at not being one of Jims men. Only a child would bitch and moan about such a thing.

As a side point the fact that theres been poor turn outs at training, there can't be many who have totally dedicated themselves to the saffron jersey (not that I agree with all the IC training being done) and I would say most of them would be considered. 

I keep saying it......all this IC training is a bit of a farce and come summertime when guys want to enjoy their hurling they're out 5/6 nights a week scundered. IC training takes the hit when a night off is needed or a football match is on, thereby making a farce of IC training, which unsurprising shows in their performances. How many years in the last 20 have Antrim training sessions been well attended all year? 2-3 at the very most.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on June 22, 2012, 02:35:50 PM
I struggle with the notion that JN in taking on this position at such late notice has to in some way restrict himself to "the boys" who've been there all year. Just does not make sense. Surely he's allowed to be his own man an call up the panel he feels he can get the most out of.  Surely growns up can live with that,  disappointed as some may be at not being one of Jims men. Only a child would bitch and moan about such a thing.

As a side point the fact that theres been poor turn outs at training, there can't be many who have totally dedicated themselves to the saffron jersey (not that I agree with all the IC training being done) and I would say most of them would be considered. 

I keep saying it......all this IC training is a bit of a farce and come summertime when guys want to enjoy their hurling they're out 5/6 nights a week scundered. IC training takes the hit when a night off is needed or a football match is on, thereby making a farce of IC training, which unsurprising shows in their performances. How many years in the last 20 have Antrim training sessions been well attended all year? 2-3 at the very most.

Correct, one night a week training, flat out would be of better use than 2 plus weekends away and whatever else they are doing, if club training was attended by the county players then it will be a bigger benefit to the club and eventually the county.

On another note, what's the chances of pitches holding out for the games at the weekend?? Glenariffe's pitch is not great at holding water/rain
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 22, 2012, 06:52:21 PM

Correct, one night a week training, flat out would be of better use than 2 plus weekends away and whatever else they are doing, if club training was attended by the county players then it will be a bigger benefit to the club and eventually the county.

On another note, what's the chances of pitches holding out for the games at the weekend?? Glenariffe's pitch is not great at holding water/rain

Agree fully mr2 with first point - happening too often this weather we're due a disagreement soon!

If that rain keeps falling (it's feckin supposed to be summer!) it would take some pitch to hold out.
I predict some games off, some played in diabolical conditions maybe even results turned on head as a result - and maybe some to and fro with venue switches.

saffron89

true about the one night a week with the county MR2, but that is only if there is a reasonable high standard of training amongst the clubs and that would be difficult to attain with a wide selection of clubs.  But reckon emphasis has to be on clubs, also reckon need to go to group champion basis to get more games for the players.  the gaps that are about to appear for clubs with no matches in the summer is just stupid.

Training being poorly attended though is simply lack of effort at times.  other counties seem to have panels that go flat out for 6 months.

as for the Glenariffe pitch, i would have thought it should hold more water that most and it is practically on the beach and sand based.  But if you hear any different post asap.  3pm in Glenariffe is a game i intend to be at

btdtgtt

Quote from: saffron89 on June 23, 2012, 09:02:15 AM

true about the one night a week with the county MR2, but that is only if there is a reasonable high standard of training amongst the clubs and that would be difficult to attain with a wide selection of clubs.  But reckon emphasis has to be on clubs, also reckon need to go to group champion basis to get more games for the players.  the gaps that are about to appear for clubs with no matches in the summer is just stupid.

Training being poorly attended though is simply lack of effort at times.  other counties seem to have panels that go flat out for 6 months.

as for the Glenariffe pitch, i would have thought it should hold more water that most and it is practically on the beach and sand based.  But if you hear any different post asap.  3pm in Glenariffe is a game i intend to be at

Great point.

drici

Lecale2

Seamroga in exile

I don't know the reason he was sacked, well I do, but can't say at this point until its verified. it was related to me this morning. I thought it best not to post it until I'd heard everything.