Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the colonel

Quote from: optimus cheese on June 20, 2012, 09:29:52 AM
Anyone know what happened at the hurling 'trial' last night?

All Loughgiel players turned up. The additional Cushendall boys did not
the difference between success and failure is energy

Jesusjones

Colonel it isn't just as simple as they didn't turn up, would you not consider they might not have been able to commit at this time, same as a few of the golden boys from Loughgiel who suddenly decided they were able to commit last week? Maybe they'll only commit when a manager of their choosing is in charge.

Milltown Row2

Games are going ahead on sunday then  despite antrim playing the following week .
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

If they are fit to play a Trial Game last night then they should be fit to hurl for theirs clubs on Sunday, don't think that should be an issue at all.

The commitment thing is probably eased by the fact its only for two games and a month max (the way things have been going anyway) so what's that 8 sessions, plenty of gear and a top class match. Can see why the LG boys wouldn't turn it down. On the other hand can also see why other club players wouldn't be rushing to sign up as well.

DearyMe

The whole thing stinks - LG boys in because JN manager now (call a spade a spade) and no BS about commitment and timing, and personal issues and bla bla bla.

Antrim will never succeed unless they are living outta each others pockets from a very early age, until they know each other and accept each other.  Have played with each other long enough to put club politics behind them when playing for county!

Anyone who puts any other argument forward (besides the level of skill and system of play) is delusional!!!

And yes, fair chance the dall boys didnt come because it didnt suit that JN (LG management) was now in place - no BS here colonel, tell it how it is!

sin e
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!

the colonel

Maybe turn up was not the right term. The Cushendall players said they did not feel comfortable walking into a changing room less than two weeks before the game when players who had been there all year wouldn't be that overly pleased to see them. I don't think they would have anything against JN as they wouldn't know him at all.

Anyone read Sambo's piece in the Antrim Post yesterday?

Saffrongael

Quote from: the colonel on June 20, 2012, 10:50:57 AM

Did he use crayons to write it?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Saffrongael on June 20, 2012, 10:55:17 AM

Do you not mean "Ulster's hurler of the century" colonel?

I hear the Dall fellas that were there previously all showed up and that everyone put in a good session.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

clootfromthe21

Maybe turn up was not the right term. The Cushendall players said they did not feel comfortable walking into a changing room less than two weeks before the game when players who had been there all year wouldn't be that overly pleased to see them. I don't think they would have anything against JN as they wouldn't know him at all.

Cant find it online - care to give us a synopsis?

the colonel

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on June 20, 2012, 11:02:42 AM
Quote from: Saffrongael on June 20, 2012, 10:55:17 AM

Do you not mean "Ulster's hurler of the century" colonel?

I hear the Dall fellas that were there previously all showed up and that everyone put on a good session.

Yes he was awarded Ulster Hurler of the Century, issue with that?

Quote from: clootfromthe21 on June 20, 2012, 11:25:33 AM

Cant find it online - care to give us a synopsis?

He said that he was sorry the JW experiment as manager hasn't worked. Like Dick he wasn't valued and that he didn't like the way JW didn't stand up for Hippy (never mentioned the RTE stuff) and wishes Jim Nelson and Jerry all the best

Seamroga in exile

Just wondering who awarded it to him.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

the colonel

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on June 20, 2012, 12:02:17 PM
Just wondering who awarded it to him.

The Irish News at the start of this century

btdtgtt

Sambo just won't go away ya'know!
Hurler of the Century? He was the weak link in that great Dall half back line, I still maintain his instantly recognisable appearance is what gets him noticed - not his hurling. Especially by lazy journalists who just had to fill space and didnt wanna know about the game.

But then thats just me!

I also agree the Loughiel boys have obviously had a change in heart becasue of the management rather that "personal issues" which is just a flag of convenience to soften things.
We cant go down the road where players dictate management.

DearyMe I appreciate the sentiment but it is simplictic at best.
Antrim will never succeed unless they are living outta each others pockets from a very early age, until they know each other and accept each other.  Have played with each other long enough to put club politics behind them when playing for county!
This would just make them a club team in essence and I have already stated my views on this endless process of taking players out of their clubs for development squads - bottom line is it weakens the county/club scene as a whole for the expense of 15-24 guys who's progress is questionable. I still believe we are all club players who go "on loan / part-time" to the county for a limited time in the grand scheme of things.

north_antrim_hound

regardless of some loughgeil players motives, I think you will find most of the new ones just in wont start v limerick/laois. the more important thing is there seems to be a bit of renewed effort going in, they lost to wexford at the weekend by two points and gave laois a big tanking recently as well. Its a good to see J N back there but hes not a magician(very little time to implement his ideas), he,s there because he was asked and he's antrim to the core. theres no point in bashing one particular club with players who wont or will line out for antrim as all the big antrim clubs have them even in Belfast. one example is you armstrong wtf is he playing football for when he can hurl the way he does. where did young MC Guinness go as he was very impressive for antrim. its time to stop whinging and sniping and get behind them for there next match regardless of the perceived result.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

CornerBackNo2

McGuinnes tore the ACL last year, he is in rehab currently