Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on June 09, 2012, 12:21:52 AM
Quote from: Young Gael on June 08, 2012, 11:50:47 PM
Sure you boys would be right. What would a Cork man or a Tipp man before him know about hurling. The amount of boys yous have to manage a county team, why listen to anyone else? All those Ulster championships under the belt, didn't get those without knowing something. Maybe yous could send some one down to Munster to help us along. Great county, such pride, what a tradition, what a role of honour. Yous are certainly going the right way about things there.
How did your Munster club champions get on this year young gael?  We're doing some things right up here. ;)

Anyhow, I think the general consensus is that JW was a mistake. He made all the right noises but ultimately knew feck all about hurling in this county. I have to agree that the next manager should come from within, but not Sambo. The man causes division whether he means to or not. It's a tough one.

I can also categorically state that Pj is most definitely not interested in it at the minute. He's too busy with Loughgiel.

Need to remember club hurling and County hurling are completly different. By that train of thought Loughgiel should play Limerick on the 1st!!

Antrim need to just see the year out, put in a great effort and see how we go.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Seamroga in exile

Of course it is, but smart arses sometimes need put their place. At the end of the day it proves they're no different or better, individually, than our lot. Perhaps they have more numbers, that never stopped Galway in the past. Mentality is our major handicap, always was.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Young Gael

And fair play to yous for having the club champions. But there's part of your problem. Who could tell Antrim anything about hurling. Catch yourself on. Sure you boys get your heads together and come up with a masterplan to win the all Ireland. And don't even think of listening to Brian Cody, sure those Kilkenny boys are like the Munster boys, know nothing about hurling. Of course if ye want ye could listen to them a bit so you have some one to blame when things go wrong.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Young Gael on June 09, 2012, 09:42:33 AM
And fair play to yous for having the club champions. But there's part of your problem. Who could tell Antrim anything about hurling. Catch yourself on. Sure you boys get your heads together and come up with a masterplan to win the all Ireland. And don't even think of listening to Brian Cody, sure those Kilkenny boys are like the Munster boys, know nothing about hurling. Of course if ye want ye could listen to them a bit so you have some one to blame when things go wrong.

We all know how hurling should be played Young Gael, its working with the tools and materials that are available, that is the problem. Lads that don't buy into it has a major affect on the team. A good county squad should have 30 committed hurlers willing to head to all parts of Irleand for challenge games training weekends and whatever pre season training programme is given to them. they also need to look after themselves, meaning stop going on the lash every weekend or during the week while they are still in the Championship.

I could go on but when you have a committed team then you can introduce playing patterens and styles, but people need to buy into that. Being stuck up in the furtherest place from where hurling is strong doesn't help the club hurlers, which has a knock on effect with the county team. I could go on but......
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Seamroga in exile

Who rattled yer man's cage ?   :P
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Two Hands FFS

He should maybe remove his email address  ;D  ;D

btdtgtt

Wallace has released his statement now - see hogan stand website.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: btdtgtt on June 09, 2012, 11:21:57 AM

feel a bit bad for slating him after reading that
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Saffrongael

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on June 09, 2012, 12:06:16 PM

Good speak NAH, Jerry may have made an error of judgement with going public about speaking to RTE but nobody can doubt his commitment to Antrim since the start of the year. The players respected him but didn't follow through with the same commitment at times. Sure the next poor f**ker that takes them will find out the same. He is a handy scapegoat for the players performances this year.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Saffrongael on June 09, 2012, 12:18:44 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on June 09, 2012, 12:06:16 PM

Good speak NAH, Jerry may have made an error of judgement with going public about speaking to RTE but nobody can doubt his commitment to Antrim since the start of the year. The players respected him but didn't follow through with the same commitment at times. Sure the next poor f**ker that takes them will find out the same. He is a handy scapegoat for the players performances this year.

Imm  starting to wonder are rte here lying through there teeth. His statement adds up with the westmeath game. the manager hanley came on to the field to talk to the full back(probably to tell him that he wasn't giving Watson enough abuse) and winker went in to listen to them and he just started pushing Watson, that's when the  thing flared up. maybe he was looking for recordings of this. That's the real sickner about the hippy ban because Hanley was the first mentor to get physical. anyway JW didn't handle the whole thing well in the press subsequently he alienated one of his best players and left himself in no mans land. But our players have to take some responsibility to, I remember Dinny's first stint with the county, we ran tipp close the first year, would have chinned wexford the 2ND year only for the ref and the third year the players started dicking about. now we have a new generation of players since but same attitude. its not as if Brian Cody of Liam sheedy could come up here and do much better
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Young Gael

Well said hound and saffron gael

Milltown Row2

screenmachine

It certainly would have came out a lot better for Wallace if he had have said what he said in his latest statement initially.  There's a quare difference in saying you asked RTE to lose a tape compared to asking them did they record the full incident in which one of your players is abused by the opposing manager.  In hindsight he maybe would have been better saying nothing at all!

All in all it seems that Wallace was a good coach but terrible at handling the media and players/background staff.  Some people make great coaches but that's where they should leave it, take a good session and that's about all the input they need.  It's a much different role stepping up to be the top dog.  His heart seemed to be in the right place but he seemed to have a funny way of doing things and this ultimately came back to bite him in the ass.

My tuppence worth anyway...
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

Buswhacker

Who adds these idiotic footnotes after posts eg." I'm gonna punch you in ovary etc. etc." and what useful purpose do they serve.

screenmachine

I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.