Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yeah

Quote from: the colonel on May 21, 2012, 10:10:40 AM
Where to start........

First half while not great wasn't all bad. Couple of nice scores taken. Couple of players seemed to be struggling with the pace of the game.

Second half was just awful. To be slightly fair to the players they were trying to carry out the tactic that the manager wanted them to work on. We just sat back and waited for Westmeath to come at us. I hate seeing a spare man used so defensively. Should have used the spare man around the middle where we were really struggling to get a hold of the ball.

Shane really struggled after getting that hit in the first half and wasn't the same. Neil McA and Eddie looked as if they were struggling with fitness. Ball going into Watson was put way out to the corner and by the time he got it, there was little he could do. I thought Darren Hamill was harshly taken off, and was streets ahead of the whole half forward who were all brutal. Neil McM was good in the first half but was trying to overplay in the second. Even DD didn't look comfortable, I have never seen him blocking down so many high balls. Subs should have been made earlier.

As regards to the fight with Watson and not backing him up. It was completely off the ball and not many would have seen it. Deliberate tactic by WM. As soon as it was noticed Hippy, Shane and McFall were straight onto the scene as proven by RTE last night. Sambo entered the ptich to assist Watson with a bit of a tussle late in the second half so some boys are full of shit. I thought some of the WM players, officials and some supporters in the stands were animals

Our game last night v Ballycastle was a real good game. Some good scores. Ballycastle were very direct in getting the ball into their FF line. We struggled first 10 minutes or so but got to grips shortly after. Conor Carson has been excellent in the last few games for us and game Pinky a torrid time, hitting about 3/4 points. With Hippy back for the next game I would say Carson should be moved up. If JW took the opinions of Colly McFall senior and Sambo seriously he would have been told how good CC was last night and in recent games at wing forward.

Id have to agree with you there, the few boys that I spoke to told me jerry makes all the calls and listens to nobody. Id put Carson centre forward, seen him once for the club this year and he is in the top three forwards in Antrim without a doubt. He has it all. A half forward line that couldnt score against WM, disgrace!!
Gods Country= Glenshesk, North Antrim!!

NAG1

Quote from: Yeah on May 21, 2012, 10:09:18 AM
Shambles on Saturday, complete and utter shambles. These lads just arent good enough. Loughgeil showed he way in March but theses boys have got us right back to square one! I didnt even know half the boys starting on that team on Saturday and that really tells the story.

Tells the story more about your lack of hurling knowledge and lack of understanding of hurling in the county, so if you want to come on and spout rubbish please do it about something you have a vague knowledge of.

NAG1

Quote from: Yeah on May 21, 2012, 10:15:57 AM
Quote from: the colonel on May 21, 2012, 10:10:40 AM
Where to start........

First half while not great wasn't all bad. Couple of nice scores taken. Couple of players seemed to be struggling with the pace of the game.

Second half was just awful. To be slightly fair to the players they were trying to carry out the tactic that the manager wanted them to work on. We just sat back and waited for Westmeath to come at us. I hate seeing a spare man used so defensively. Should have used the spare man around the middle where we were really struggling to get a hold of the ball.

Shane really struggled after getting that hit in the first half and wasn't the same. Neil McA and Eddie looked as if they were struggling with fitness. Ball going into Watson was put way out to the corner and by the time he got it, there was little he could do. I thought Darren Hamill was harshly taken off, and was streets ahead of the whole half forward who were all brutal. Neil McM was good in the first half but was trying to overplay in the second. Even DD didn't look comfortable, I have never seen him blocking down so many high balls. Subs should have been made earlier.

As regards to the fight with Watson and not backing him up. It was completely off the ball and not many would have seen it. Deliberate tactic by WM. As soon as it was noticed Hippy, Shane and McFall were straight onto the scene as proven by RTE last night. Sambo entered the ptich to assist Watson with a bit of a tussle late in the second half so some boys are full of shit. I thought some of the WM players, officials and some supporters in the stands were animals

Our game last night v Ballycastle was a real good game. Some good scores. Ballycastle were very direct in getting the ball into their FF line. We struggled first 10 minutes or so but got to grips shortly after. Conor Carson has been excellent in the last few games for us and game Pinky a torrid time, hitting about 3/4 points. With Hippy back for the next game I would say Carson should be moved up. If JW took the opinions of Colly McFall senior and Sambo seriously he would have been told how good CC was last night and in recent games at wing forward.

Id have to agree with you there, the few boys that I spoke to told me jerry makes all the calls and listens to nobody. Id put Carson centre forward, seen him once for the club this year and he is in the top three forwards in Antrim without a doubt. He has it all. A half forward line that couldnt score against WM, disgrace!!

For real?

johnneycool

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on May 21, 2012, 09:56:23 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on May 21, 2012, 09:04:00 AM
Poor poor result at the weekend, where do they go from here?

Lets be realistic we aren't in a position to think that we can just go to the likes of WM and take a handy win away. Their result against Galway last year should have alarm bells ringing but obviously not loud enough.

Jesus lads better not get to complacent here, these boys ran galway close last year, i know we tanked them at casement but they could be a different animal at home

I posted this last Thursday when most on here was saying we will win this pulling up. In hindsight this was always on the cards as a possible. we had selectors walking,bad turn outs in training and the manager storming of home from training. in the league this year v Clare,offaly and limerick we averaged 12 points per game and that's what scored again. we are 4 to 5 players short of a decent team mostly in the forwards. where to go from here, we just keep plugging away. Tomorrow night at training is going to be the most important session of the year, if the players all turn up have a chat and collectively take a good hard look at themselves and regroup for qualifiers. If there is anything in them you like to think they are a wounded animal at the minute. As for Jerry Wallis well the jury is out at the moment the players had to get him but now there not responding to him. He id maybe a good coach but management is a different kettle all together

This same Westmeath team made hard work of beating a poor enough Down team in the National League.

No doubt they'd lift their game when a Div1 team came to town and they've always been very physical, so that shouldn't have shocked anyone.
No matter what tactics you want to play, you need to have an aggression and urgency in your hurling, by the sounds of it here, Antrim lacked that. Maybe too many either side of the white line thought they were out for a nice wee stroll.

Yeah

Quote from: NAG1 on May 21, 2012, 10:18:11 AM
Quote from: Yeah on May 21, 2012, 10:09:18 AM
Shambles on Saturday, complete and utter shambles. These lads just arent good enough. Loughgeil showed he way in March but theses boys have got us right back to square one! I didnt even know half the boys starting on that team on Saturday and that really tells the story.

Tells the story more about your lack of hurling knowledge and lack of understanding of hurling in the county, so if you want to come on and spout rubbish please do it about something you have a vague knowledge of.

Shut your mouth NAG1 I am entitled to my own opinion. Just like you are. I have more Hurling knowledge in my little finger that you have!!
Gods Country= Glenshesk, North Antrim!!

NAG1

You are entitled to your own opinion of course but you cant come on mouthing about the team and how poor they are and then by your own admission claim that you dont know half of them, so you are in no position to comment on them either way.

You think they are training 4-5 times a week for people like you to come on a slabber about them when you dont even know anything about them?

btdtgtt

Quote from: johnneycool on May 21, 2012, 10:25:44 AM

Lets be realistic we aren't in a position to think that we can just go to the likes of WM and take a handy win away. Their result against Galway last year should have alarm bells ringing but obviously not loud enough.

Jesus lads better not get to complacent here, these boys ran galway close last year, i know we tanked them at casement but they could be a different animal at home

I posted this last Thursday when most on here was saying we will win this pulling up. In hindsight this was always on the cards as a possible. we had selectors walking,bad turn outs in training and the manager storming of home from training. in the league this year v Clare,offaly and limerick we averaged 12 points per game and that's what scored again. we are 4 to 5 players short of a decent team mostly in the forwards. where to go from here, we just keep plugging away. Tomorrow night at training is going to be the most important session of the year, if the players all turn up have a chat and collectively take a good hard look at themselves and regroup for qualifiers. If there is anything in them you like to think they are a wounded animal at the minute. As for Jerry Wallis well the jury is out at the moment the players had to get him but now there not responding to him. He id maybe a good coach but management is a different kettle all together

This same Westmeath team made hard work of beating a poor enough Down team in the National League.

No doubt they'd lift their game when a Div1 team came to town and they've always been very physical, so that shouldn't have shocked anyone.
No matter what tactics you want to play, you need to have an aggression and urgency in your hurling, by the sounds of it here, Antrim lacked that. Maybe too many either side of the white line thought they were out for a nice wee stroll.

Where was the division 1 team?!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on May 21, 2012, 10:51:42 AM

Division 1 B then ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Who licked the cream off your bun?

aontroim

My take on the game was that the team played like a bunch of lads who had only been brought together recently for the first time - not a county team training since Jan.  To me personally on Saturday I thought Shane and Neil McM were trying to take the game to WM all by themselves at the cost of bringing other players into it.  They were reluctant to pass the ball when in possession and more times than not were closed down by a hungrier WM.  I know how good both these lads are, but just think on this occasion a bit more thought was needed.  Add in a touch of complacency amongst the rest and there was no surprise WM came back to sneak a result.

btdtgtt

Quote from: johnneycool on May 21, 2012, 11:01:23 AM

Who licked the cream off your bun?

The point I am making is as much about the quality of the team as much as their league - apolgies if thats pedantic!

Milltown Row2

Look regardless of internal discontent and poor turn outs the team playing on Saturday should have beaten a poor enough WM team. As Johnney said, they struggled to beat a poor Down team in the league.

Some posters want a elite County team with players from the Div 1 league, with 3 teams from Down in that league it really leaves the county management with a small pool to pick from. Add in players who can't committ and your average club hurler and players who are too old then JW has no choice other than to pick players from the lower divisions. The main baulk of these lesser known players have played county juvenile right through to under 21 and this is the next step.

If JW took advice from Sambo and McFaul would it really have made much of a difference? Games ebb and flow, both teams usually have a dominant period in the game and if they are allowed get a high score up it really is hard to stop the team with momentum, It seems (I wasn't there, listened on radio) that is what happened on Saturday, we couldn't/wouldn't? lift our game and the options on the bench weren't great.

Which begs the question, do the players really enjoy playing county hurling or are the demands too much for them? With Loughgiel winning the All Ireland it's having a negative affect on the county. Dunloy, Cushendall and Loughgiel are I'm sure thinking about Tom Moore and they might have a shot at winning it this year. Clubs want their players flat out also. Really hard on the better players now I feel
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 21, 2012, 12:02:31 PM
Look regardless of internal discontent and poor turn outs the team playing on Saturday should have beaten a poor enough WM team. As Johnney said, they struggled to beat a poor Down team in the league.

Some posters want a elite County team with players from the Div 1 league, with 3 teams from Down in that league it really leaves the county management with a small pool to pick from. Add in players who can't committ and your average club hurler and players who are too old then JW has no choice other than to pick players from the lower divisions. The main baulk of these lesser known players have played county juvenile right through to under 21 and this is the next step.

If JW took advice from Sambo and McFaul would it really have made much of a difference? Games ebb and flow, both teams usually have a dominant period in the game and if they are allowed get a high score up it really is hard to stop the team with momentum, It seems (I wasn't there, listened on radio) that is what happened on Saturday, we couldn't/wouldn't? lift our game and the options on the bench weren't great.

Which begs the question, do the players really enjoy playing county hurling or are the demands too much for them? With Loughgiel winning the All Ireland it's having a negative affect on the county. Dunloy, Cushendall and Loughgiel are I'm sure thinking about Tom Moore and they might have a shot at winning it this year. Clubs want their players flat out also. Really hard on the better players now I feel

Not sure about this part of your post MR2.
1) Clubs from other counties winning Tommy Moore has not really harmed them? It wasnt that long ago we were commenting that Loughiels success would lift the county?
2) In reality the detrimental effect has been caused by personalities - not by the Tom Moore success. Whether its Shamrocks with attitude, ot other clubs with jealousy (maybe thats what you mean)
3)But I dont think its because of pressure on club players to win Tommy Moore to follow Loughiel - thats a long way off and a different matter altogether at this stage. County players all over Ireland are not sitting back for their club.

I do agree with your point people are making with regard to the number of players from lower divisions.
1) The five Div1 teams cannot make up the whole county squad alone.
2) First teamers from Loughiel/Cushendall are not goin to sit with No28 in an Antrim squad so they drop off.
3) This leaves the position needing filled to complete a training panel - hence the need to drop down divisions.
4) Obviously some players from lower divisions make first 15 (Karl is div2 yet one of the best in Ulster)
5) The need for lower division players is therefore both ability and necessity

Buswhacker

When Loughgiel won the All Ireland in 1983 it had a positive affect on the county team and the game here in general.
This culminated in Antrim reaching an All Ireland final in 1989 under the leadership of Jim Nelson.
What's so different this time ?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on May 21, 2012, 12:23:22 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 21, 2012, 12:02:31 PM

Not sure about this part of your post MR2.
1) Clubs from other counties winning Tommy Moore has not really harmed them? It wasnt that long ago we were commenting that Loughiels success would lift the county?
2) In reality the detrimental effect has been caused by personalities - not by the Tom Moore success. Whether its Shamrocks with attitude, ot other clubs with jealousy (maybe thats what you mean)
3)But I dont think its because of pressure on club players to win Tommy Moore to follow Loughiel - thats a long way off and a different matter altogether at this stage. County players all over Ireland are not sitting back for their club.

I do agree with your point people are making with regard to the number of players from lower divisions.
1) The five Div1 teams cannot make up the whole county squad alone.
2) First teamers from Loughiel/Cushendall are not goin to sit with No28 in an Antrim squad so they drop off.
3) This leaves the position needing filled to complete a training panel - hence the need to drop down divisions.
4) Obviously some players from lower divisions make first 15 (Karl is div2 yet one of the best in Ulster)
5) The need for lower division players is therefore both ability and necessity

Yes we thought it would have a positive effect on the county hurling, but the reality is, it hasn't been. We haven't had a bunch of lads like we did when Jim Nelson took the team who seemed (at the time) played with passion and pride in the jersey. They also played (which i believed at the time) with unity, whatever problems players had with each other seemed to be left at the door and wasn't noticeable when they played together.

Maybe someone can tell me different, seeing as I'm only a young buck ;)

83 was 6 years later from 89 Bushwhacker, maybe in 6 years time we will compete at that level again?