Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fairhead

Quote from: theskull1 on April 01, 2012, 11:01:41 PM
These group of guys deserve our support rather than derision btw. They're the best WE have (and some of them would fit in with the best in Ireland). Not enough depth of quality or commitment across the board to get the standards up to the level where we would be more compeditive. It's been that way (bar 4/5 years) for as long as I remember.

Would take 10-15 years effort from 100s of people working together accross all clubs (with finance available) to move things to a different level IMO

Skull you have been preaching the same line for a long time and you are totally right! Why is everybody so annoyed by the result today? We have not traditionally done well against Limerick and what has changed at underage level in the past 5 yrs to think that we should? Mid table Div 1B is where Antrim are at.

Last Man

Totally agree with all of the above but I also believe we can make a better shape of it where we are at. NMcM needs to stay No.6 for a start imo and after that we need to get organised and develop a style of play that we work to whoever the opposition. There is better in this squad, we have seen glimpses of it and there is more to come.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Fairhead on April 01, 2012, 11:59:58 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on April 01, 2012, 11:01:41 PM
These group of guys deserve our support rather than derision btw. They're the best WE have (and some of them would fit in with the best in Ireland). Not enough depth of quality or commitment across the board to get the standards up to the level where we would be more compeditive. It's been that way (bar 4/5 years) for as long as I remember.

Would take 10-15 years effort from 100s of people working together accross all clubs (with finance available) to move things to a different level IMO

Skull you have been preaching the same line for a long time and you are totally right! Why is everybody so annoyed by the result today? We have not traditionally done well against Limerick and what has changed at underage level in the past 5 yrs to think that we should? Mid table Div 1B is where Antrim are at.

+1 Always seem to come up short against limmerick. our only chance yesterday was to keep it close and mug them close to the end, the ref took made sure that didnt happen. theres one recurring theme for years if we are making a game of it we are going to get shafted by decsions to give the other team some daylight. imm geting fed up with it god knows how the players feel. Dont think we would have won anyway but them close range frees knocked the stuffing out of boys. dont think the midfeild changes worked but understand why they where made. K S  not at the races at the minute, mc manus had his hands full so couldnt drive forward as much, hippy was finding moran a handfull. hats off to shane he worked his nuts of yesterday and if watson comes back with some sort off form we have some firepower for the summer.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Buswhacker

The Skull1......these are not the best we have.There are Div 1 players who never get a look in.....why ?

Saffrongael

Quote from: Buswhacker on April 02, 2012, 11:19:03 AM
The Skull1......these are not the best we have.There are Div 1 players who never get a look in.....why ?

What division 1 players are not getting a look in?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Milltown Row2

Bushwhacker who are these Div 1 players you think should be on the team?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

My general point was that we haven't enough quality and commitment and development structures in Antrim to expect much more from our IC team
Are you implying that if Antrim played 'the best' that they had then (as a result of this change of personnel) there would be a noticeable improvement in our fortunes at IC level? I think we're arguing over a few points either way

As regards the why...I'm not sure. Would say some aren't prepared to commit.

Personally think that county teams come the summer should be run similar to international football. You'd have your cast iron squad members but with provision for players on form called up at short notice. It's not as if we're going to win the AI anytime soon so would be far better to improve the quality & marketing of the local game in the short to medium term. We're not Brazil......
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

johnneycool

count yourselves lucky you're not going to be relegated like Down!! Now there is a county with FA structures in place and we're now overtaken by Armagh and Derry at juvenile level in particular for a good few years now.

IMO Antrim county team will always come second best to the clubs and March the 17th past will reinforce that.

The hurlers in Cushendall, Dunloy, St Galls, Ballycastle, Rossa, Johnnies etc, etc know that if you win the Antrim championship then you're realistically straight into an AI semi-final, with a real good chance of a celtic cross.

It'll be long and many's a day that an Antrim intercounty team can realistically put three or four big games out of them to get to an AI semi final even. That's the harsh reality of it all.

Franko

Quote from: johnneycool on April 02, 2012, 12:16:25 PM
count yourselves lucky you're not going to be relegated like Down!! Now there is a county with FA structures in place and we're now overtaken by Armagh and Derry at juvenile level in particular for a good few years now.

IMO Antrim county team will always come second best to the clubs and March the 17th past will reinforce that.

The hurlers in Cushendall, Loughguile Dunloy, St Galls, Ballycastle, Rossa, Johnnies etc, etc know that if you win the Antrim championship then you're realistically straight into an AI semi-final, with a real good chance of a celtic cross.

It'll be long and many's a day that an Antrim intercounty team can realistically put three or four big games out of them to get to an AI semi final even. That's the harsh reality of it all.

Any team outside the top 3 haven't a snowball's hope in hell of a Celtic Cross.

Otherwise - I think what you are saying has merit.  Antrim hurlers don't do well because the majority simply don't believe they have it in them to win an AI title and so their commitment/effort levels are adjusted accordingly.

DearyMe

Franko, quite Frankly you are clearly out of touch including Dunloy!

Ballycastle and St.Gall's must be included before them now!

Wouldnt surprise me if Dunloy find themselves playing div 2 hurling next season :-[

I think shamrocks will be hard to beat - but i dont think there is much between these teams (even if they arE AI Champs)
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!

johnneycool

I randomly picked clubs FFS, but you get my drift.

Franko

Fair enough, take Dunloy out.  They are on the wane a bit.

But you're most definitely not getting away with including Ballycastle and St. Gall's DearyMe.

DearyMe

Ok Frank, can live with that - think Cushendal and Shamrocks consistently ahead of rest.

I worry for Dunloy!

Buswhacker

saffrongael ...milltown row 2...I would respectively suggest that any player who plays in Div 1. week after week, league and championship,is playing at a higher level than Div 3 players,maybe you don't agree. A few years ago combined lower division teams from N.Antrim etc. played in the Senior championship,they were blown away.I could name Div 1 players who should get a chance,and could also name Div 2 and 3 players who are on the team and are obviously not up to it.

DearyMe

Would have to agree with the Bush!

Although it is the case that many a lower league player shines on a county team. But unfortunately not this year.
In fact the opposite has happened.

Although i would group div 1 and 2 together and 3 and 4 way below!