Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hirty Darry

"Sham Man", your cover has obviously been blown - this would not go down well if it got into the public domain.  My advice to you would be to walk away from this now to save face!

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on March 06, 2012, 10:08:54 AM
The U14's did a fitness test last Sunday and the U15s are doing one this week. Are you saying LM that these are not in any way related to this initiative. That doesnt make sense if it's available to us?

Does anyone else not think its a little mad doing fitness tests on youngsters aged 14/15/16 etc?

We've started a 'strength and conditioning' program with our minors and I have to say I'm not that keen as these lads are very much still growing and unless its very carefully monitored by people who know what they are doing could end up putting some lads back.

I'm a bit old school as I'd still prefer to see a hurl in their hand than a dumbbell.

Last Man

The U14's did a fitness test last Sunday and the U15s are doing one this week. Are you saying LM that these are not in any way related to this initiative. That doesnt make sense if it's available to us?
95% certain its not and the tests will be carried out in house using Greenmount sports hall. The data may well be forwarded for use in a consultation paper but little else will come of it as far as I know. The final squad is retested at the end of the season also but there never has been any comparitive analysis. A question of resources no doubt.

Last Man

Quote from: johnneycool on March 06, 2012, 10:55:18 AM

Does anyone else not think its a little mad doing fitness tests on youngsters aged 14/15/16 etc?

We've started a 'strength and conditioning' program with our minors and I have to say I'm not that keen as these lads are very much still growing and unless its very carefully monitored by people who know what they are doing could end up putting some lads back.

I'm a bit old school as I'd still prefer to see a hurl in their hand than a dumbbell.
With youngsters having an increasing sedentary lifestyle I dont think its a bad thing for lads to be aware of their fitness at 14. They say boys need numbers to understand things and this does just that. There has to be a balance though.

theskull1

Kids (in general) have become more sedentary in between training sessions that I think a focus needs to be put on it. Plus I dont think strength and conditioning automatically means weights. More body weight stuff to improve core stability and flexibility as well as better cardio I'd say.

Just read your reply LM...would have saved me posting
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on March 06, 2012, 11:32:31 AM
Kids (in general) have become more sedentary in between training sessions that I think a focus needs to be put on it. Plus I dont think strength and conditioning automatically means weights. More body weight stuff to improve core stability and flexibility as well as better cardio I'd say.

So many kids now at the gym, they are much more aware of strength and conditioning and I've notice at the gym that I go to, more young lads doing weights,core, and cardio. Some of the decent schools have state of the are gyms and they are usually the schools that excel in sport competitions, so it's being done at that level anyways.

As Johnney says I would prefer the lads with the hurls in their hands everyday.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

I think this whole thing is crazy!

Young lads bodies are stilld eveloping, as is their strength and fitness - at that age they should have a hurl glued to their hands! Never mind this fascianation with weights and physical training and fitness test - they need to be hurling!!

If we want to create the most physically fit and strong people - go to the olympics!

Obviously there is a place for all of this as we go towards senior but any young lad who is out training and playing hurling games every night of the week will be fit!

Maybe we will stop at half time and challenge opponents to a fitness test because we cant out hurl them!

Madness.

NAG1

Guys look at the age profile of the county teams now, it is coming down further and further, it is nearly becoming a students sport. Simply because they have the time to train and put in the gym sessions that are required at this level. We have been neglecting this type of training for years and as a result haven't developed the physical capabilities to compete at this level.

As long as it is done in the correct way then this training and testing is ideal.

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on March 06, 2012, 11:32:31 AM

I understand that and certainly a bit of core strength helps balance and striking and that can be worked on in conjuction with technique which is more important particularly in the likes of 13, 14, 15 year olds. We'd a lad centre back a few years ago, six pack, could run all day but his striking and first touch was awful. I used to say to him he'd be better trying to put the ball over the bar from 70 yards rather than running 70 yards.
I just think there's enough time for the gym, weights when you're out of minor and then its programs to produce speed and agility rather than bulk which isn't the be all and end all in hurling thankfully.

theskull1

Quote from: johnneycool on March 06, 2012, 12:20:55 PM
I understand that and certainly a bit of core strength helps balance and striking and that can be worked on in conjuction with technique which is more important particularly in the likes of 13, 14, 15 year olds. We'd a lad centre back a few years ago, six pack, could run all day but his striking and first touch was awful. I used to say to him he'd be better trying to put the ball over the bar from 70 yards rather than running 70 yards.
I just think there's enough time for the gym, weights when you're out of minor and then its programs to produce speed and agility rather than bulk which isn't the be all and end all in hurling thankfully.

For every athlete who can't hurl JC there'd be 4 or 5 boys who can hurl but wouldn't have the best mobility or strength. I don't think that anybody would argue that strength and conditioning should not be worked into hurling training sessions, so I don't think we're that far away from agreeing with each other.

Milltown Row2

In Antrim we are not (well of late anyway) blessed with big natural athletes. Southern teams would have at least 10 lads the size of McManus/Donnely or bigger with just as much skill. They easily knock our lads off the ball and late in the game they still have the strength to knock over points.

Wether that is down to dieting or them being very lucky I don't know, but it is very evident when we play the likes of Cork Kilkenny (smaller pick than us) Limerick, Tipp and the rest. Wexford and just recently Offaly have probably the same size of players. Dublin have in the past few years baulked up and can compete with the big guns. Galway have also recently picked bigger teams, though in the past they had small fast hurlers but they were very strong.

So it's a balancing act, we still need to be producing quality stick men but we also need to be producing big, strong and fast stick men.

Bar Tommy Walsh, the kilkenny lads are all over six foot
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

I'm reading Michael Johnson's book at the minute (Gold Rush) and he says that his athletic performance company Michael Johnson Performance have determined that 12-15 years old (or thereabouts!) is the optimal time for maximising physical fitness that will carry on into adulthood. They often meet resistance from people who think this time should be about working on skills and the fitness will come later. They disagree.

btdtgtt

The strength and fitness training is one thing - the testing is another.

Strength and fitness is a pre-requisite, although I dont know why we would want to go to Waterford for it.

I firmly believe the biggest test of fitness is the last 10minutes of a match - no matter what the bleep test says!

I would put my mortgage on it that the KK, Tipp etc spend a lifetime more on the pitch than in the gym.

johnneycool

Quote from: btdtgtt on March 06, 2012, 01:36:49 PM
The strength and fitness training is one thing - the testing is another.

Strength and fitness is a pre-requisite, although I dont know why we would want to go to Waterford for it.

I firmly believe the biggest test of fitness is the last 10minutes of a match - no matter what the bleep test says!

I would put my mortgage on it that the KK, Tipp etc spend a lifetime more on the pitch than in the gym.

Tipp under Liam Sheedy certainly put a huge amount of effort into gym programs etc, but from my good sources they were very much geared towards individual and hurling requirements, not generic training. I'm almost certain KK would be up to something similar but don't go shouting too much about it and Cody likes everyone to think that they just turn up to Nowlan park and beat seven shades of shite out of each other.

But these are adult teams, I wonder if 14, 15 year olds are being set out gym programs down there?

theskull1

Quote from: btdtgtt on March 06, 2012, 01:36:49 PM

btdtgtt ...I really don't know where you're coming from.

How do you develop strength and fitness without devoting some time developing it? Your comment about the last 10 minutes seems to imply that regardless of how fit you are prior to the last 10 minutes of a game, you can somehow overcome that lack of fitness (as a team) with heart and determination?

Perhaps you could explain ..because I'm not getting it