Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

north_antrim_hound

I know this view is going to be met with some dismissal, but i think killkennys standard in football takes away some of the credit of there hurling success. Imagine how your county would do if they focused solely on one discipline. In kilkenny anybody who has in intrest in anything other than hurling is frowned upon, from an early age they are encouraged to pursue only thing for a good reason in there eyes. every thing else can have a detrimental effect on there preferred code. The press and great for eulogies and praise for there manager and hurlers without the consideration they have a serious advantage over the opposition in this respect

Just posted this over on a thread about kilkenny football, after there u21s  mauling by louth the other night fermanagh gave there Seniors a 46 point drubbing today. I have always been of the opinion that if antrim was a one trick pony as well we could have landed at least one all ireland by now. This is not a crack at our football brethren as they are quite right to follow there respective passion just an observation.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

btdtgtt

That's a fantastic point n_a_h -- remind u of Ur own north Antrim?

Particularly since it's exactly how most of the dual clubs think about loughiel & cushendall!
It's precisely the same!
Any wonder why we've had the county final repeated between these two clubs?

If u think about it they should be ashamed if a dual club gets close up them - never mind beats them!

Seamroga in exile

But then again, bogball was never really a traditional game played in the glens, unlike hurling/shinny/caman which has been played in the glens for centuries.

Having said that, I wouldn't be against a football team in Loughgiel at all. I've even been known to venture over close to the Bann to watch a game or two if there's nothing else on.

I think it was tried in the 70s or 80s but the interest just wasn't there. 
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

btdtgtt

I fully understand that SIE but it's a different point.

The fact us any club playing one code (glens) has a massive advantage over dual clubs (mainly city) with them splitting time (&pitches). I honestly think if the like of yourselves is beaten by a dual club it is a massive failing on your part.

Although granted that's not been happening lately!

Oh and personally speaking I would gladly abandon the bogball - the days of successful dual players/clubs are gone. It's a case of concentrating on success at one code or mediocrity at both. 

A few players deserve honourable mentions here (st galls, herrons, mickey armstrong) but ultimately they can't combine both at the top level.

eoinbeag

Quote from: saffronog on March 04, 2012, 05:33:02 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 04, 2012, 03:27:54 PM
Again wouldn't put much thought into these games. Teams are judged at the end of August.

not sure of your age profile mr2, but get the impression your best hurling days (mouth watering as they were) are behind you.  would you not be interested in the job or maybe you would but couldn't be assured of the players support ??? as they would be worried about you picking yourself.  The mcguiness brigade have left bredagh, give sean a shot he knows his stuff

So he can talk about the pendulum! ;)

BlackandAmber

Quote from: Fairhead on February 29, 2012, 11:48:10 PM
Lets try.

Looking at the draw L'giel, on paper, could have a potentially tricky opening tie against Rossa going on last year but if they do manage to get by Rossa i cant see anything stopping them from getting to the final then.

As for the other side of the draw its hard to look by C'dall. Not only have they lost 3 finals in a row they have been in 6 out of the last 7 finals. Throw in the fact that they must be looking at L'giel thinking "that could be us" given the position they were in with 11/12 mins to go in last years county final, they dont need any more motivation for this year than that. Of course St Galls wont be easy for them in the quarters but im sure they will be up for that given the warning they got last year.

Finally Dunloy will be massive favourites against Ballycastle; hopefully we can keep the ball pucked out to them!!!

Your right about the Dall id say. Your underestamatin our chances with Dunloy  ;D I know what you mean like it would be great if McKelvey came home and 2/3/4 of our backs raised their game  to help Hippy and Neal more. We need a new midfield to on last year and we cant dpend on Pinky and Cossy all the time they must be mid 30s now. Heard a while ago Clark and Jennings was comin back. That'd be good.

saffronog

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 04, 2012, 06:35:07 PM
Quote from: saffronog on March 04, 2012, 05:33:02 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 04, 2012, 03:27:54 PM
Again wouldn't put much thought into these games. Teams are judged at the end of August.

not sure of your age profile mr2, but get the impression your best hurling days (mouth watering as they were) are behind you.  would you not be interested in the job or maybe you would but couldn't be assured of the players support ??? as they would be worried about you picking yourself.  The mcguiness brigade have left bredagh, give sean a shot he knows his stuff

manager is there to pick teams decide on tactics and have a trainer to get them fit and drilled. Support?  Explain?

Im forty now. Those playing days long gone. South antrim will do me. You play much for Ballymena?

played last couple of years for town, mainly for another club to a decent level.  i mean why wouldn't you manage the team, support jibe was due to i'd imagine its a difficult job in that dual club to have everyone pulling in same direction.

Milltown Row2

There's not a team in the country that doesn't have splinters in the camp, same in work and life in general. No big deal. Next time a senior post comes along at All Saints you should try it. highs and lows but no regrets.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: btdtgtt on March 04, 2012, 08:39:04 PM
That's a fantastic point n_a_h -- remind u of Ur own north Antrim?

Particularly since it's exactly how most of the dual clubs think about loughiel & cushendall!
It's precisely the same!
Any wonder why we've had the county final repeated between these two clubs?

If u think about it they should be ashamed if a dual club gets close up them - never mind beats them!
I know its having an effect on my club at underage (E.G our minors hardly get any training once all the south west leagues kick in and LG the Dall etc can train the lads two.three times a week). I'm diplomatic enough to suggest that until vast majorities don't want dual status then things should stay the same but both codes are getting higher in standard every year and dual clubs are at a disadvantage unless you have a Huge catchment to facilitate each one. Back to kilkenny they have the same population as Antrim, Demographics (65% of antrim are not nationlist, and a large portion that are play football), so lets throw up a hypothetical scenario where the said portions are culled from the cats panel I think our boys would give them a run for there money.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

johnneycool

Haven't made my mind up whether to go down to the final or not, but will tickets be hard to get down there?

Seamroga in exile

No Johnny. €25 at Croke park.

*edit

It appears you have to get the ticket via ticketmaster  online or in one of their outlets in Dublin.

saffronog

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on March 05, 2012, 04:00:03 PM
No Johnny. €25 at Croke park.

will be there but that is bloody expensive.  guarantee you i don't watch the majority of the football.  were they the same price when getting them early SIE or any sham that have already purchased tickets.  Am I to assume the best spots i..e middle of pitch are gone.

see a cushendall man talking about beating Glenariff was it good game or were there a couple of micky mouse teams out

Seamroga in exile

They were £18 on the night. They aren't exact middle as those tickets are reserved for the hurlers/footballers who got 6 each I believe, but they're definitely decent. 

Sham Man

Have all you budding Columbos, Bergeracs, Inspector Morse's given up the ghost?   SIE, did you get to the game on Saturday agin Wexford U21s?  I couldn't make it myself, overtime looming and trying to rack up a few sobs for St. Paddy's weekend. They fairly totted up a good score.  :)
Shamrocks are winners!

Seamroga in exile

I wasn't at it sham-man. I hear they played alright. Winker wasn't playing, although he was down.