Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: saffronog on November 14, 2011, 07:36:14 PM
Village has seen significant growth, approx 5%.
As has everywhere, I would suggest.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

saffronog

Was there a point to the stat attack

NAG1

Quote from: saffronog on November 14, 2011, 09:21:59 PM
Was there a point to the stat attack

I dont think there was a stat attack against All Saints?  ???

saffronog

No wondering why do we want to know size of villages, are we lookin at ratios to see who should have beat opportunity for no of hurlers.  Saints main problem well among others US location of pitch

btdtgtt

Sorry saffron of I started that!
I genuinely just wanted to know out of curiosity! I am ignorant of north Antrim catchment areas. Didn't wanna start debate on implications tho - i am only too aware that the two things (catchment & success) are not related! We can use countless examples here in Antrim but its also true across the country - Offaly won Liam mc carthy with just a few clubs etc - after all only 15 can play at a time.

saffronog

Ok get u now, one positive point I have to make is growing strength of Belfast at underage, rossa st jojns, st marys school, even galls run and sars in 21's we need bother a strong north antrim and city.  See if we win first round in leinster we will be live against galway.  Frightening, see jerry pulled out of Walsh, don't mind as long as he takes league serious.

btdtgtt

I agree sit out Walsh cup to get properly ready for a league campaign that's needed. Also, Belfast is really on high at underage - St Johns incredible at minor and Rossa have had a clean sweep
In both codes at juveniles. Alot of work going on by alot of people. Time will tell if it transpires to senior and then to the county. Fingers crossed!

btdtgtt

And I neglected the improvement in SARS at u21 and Lamh dearg obvious football strength here also. Yes Belfast certainly promising. What about north Antrim quality below senior anyone? Hopefully as I say strength in both areas will ultimately benefit us all.

imtommygunn

Loughgiel and cushendall are competitive year on year btdtgtt. Not sure how dunloy are going at underage.

St Johns have had a number of exceptional underage teams in the not that distant past and seem to struggle to bring them through to senior so most people will reserve judgement for a while.

It would be good if st johns and rossa stepped it up though. At the minute it's beginning to look like even the strongest down teams may struggle in antrim division 1 so maybe we'll see a day with no down teams there if the city teams step it up - who knows.

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 15, 2011, 09:33:23 PM
Loughgiel and cushendall are competitive year on year btdtgtt. Not sure how dunloy are going at underage.

St Johns have had a number of exceptional underage teams in the not that distant past and seem to struggle to bring them through to senior so most people will reserve judgement for a while.

It would be good if st johns and rossa stepped it up though. At the minute it's beginning to look like even the strongest down teams may struggle in antrim division 1 so maybe we'll see a day with no down teams there if the city teams step it up - who knows.
I don't think that this would be a bad thing at all. I'm all for progress in ulster hurling but being an Antrim man, I'd prefer Antrim teams in the top division. It can only be good for the county team.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

btdtgtt

And as a Belfast & Antrim man that's a big +1 from me! I think Rossa will at last kick up into div1 this year they eventually sorted themselves out last year and seem strong again. Galls perhaps still inhibited by football and let's see glenarriffe? Hopefully St johns can stay up at a down teams expense. But time will tell and everyone gets what they deserve!

Except loughuile ofcourse - they were so lucky to win the league, championship, ulster league and the rest! Tongue firmly in cheek....

theskull1

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on November 15, 2011, 09:43:08 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 15, 2011, 09:33:23 PM

I don't think that this would be a bad thing at all. I'm all for progress in ulster hurling but being an Antrim man, I'd prefer Antrim teams in the top division. It can only be good for the county team.

[Caveat]: As long as a drop in standards isn't the reason why those additonal Antrim team make it into Div1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

That's  not the case if they have been underperforming Skull. Carryduff have won the Down minor championship this year so ther has been a steady decline of the Down teams, but Portaferry have always managed to beat us handy every year, decent team to.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Nothing against the down teams mind. I think it's helped the standard with them being in the leagues but they do seem to be slipping a bit off late. If it ends up all antrim hopefully, like skull says, that is due to an increase in antrim's standards rather than a decrease in down standards.

I would be surprised if Rossa were in the doldrums for too long. I expect division one football and hurling for them in the next few years.

Bredagh and Carryduff are doing some good work in down hurling though MR. In saying that I think carryduff got a big hammering in the ulster minor.(*think*)

theskull1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2011, 10:34:34 PM
That's  not the case if they have been underperforming Skull. Carryduff have won the Down minor championship this year so ther has been a steady decline of the Down teams, but Portaferry have always managed to beat us handy every year, decent team to.

??? I don't understand what youre saying there milltown

It could be argued that Carryduff winning minor is a sign that the south belfast clubs with the numbers they have are making good progress as much as I'm not saying that the ards clubs may have dipped. I fully expect Bredagh and/or Carryduff to be competing for senior titles in the next 10 years. Lots of kids and lots of interested coaches will bring this about.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera