Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: btdtgtt on November 10, 2011, 10:31:13 PM
I didn't hear anything from the trial game saffron Og - but given the names listed I
Imagine it was pathetic. I mean not one guy on the list would make the Dall or shamrocks team never mind a county side! U gotta wonder what's the point? I am all for giving people a shot but that was pointless exercise.

Even the Cushendall ones?  :o
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on November 10, 2011, 10:31:13 PM
I didn't hear anything from the trial game saffron Og - but given the names listed I
Imagine it was pathetic. I mean not one guy on the list would make the Dall or shamrocks team never mind a county side! U gotta wonder what's the point? I am all for giving people a shot but that was pointless exercise.

Yeah course you're right  :o
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

saffronog

By I can be a right pessimistic chap but u take biscuit, considering some on list were from the dall and make their team.  But there are better than them, itself would take ten of them, a gallagher if he went, get shot of about ten of current panel.  Mr2 take it that was sarcasm your last post. 

btdtgtt

Whoops! Sorry lads I just read my last post back! To be honest I was more focussed on the Belfast men (Altho that doesn't exclude some glens men) and of the Belfast men I am Talkin about the guys not already with county experience (eg) cj.

So yes - my first post was an unitended blanket tirade but I think you know what I mean now?

Do Gort / St Agnes / St johns / oisins / sarsfields / Tir na nog / Carey / cushendun really have 3-5 players of county standard each? Come on! I think we would have been alerted to this by now if so!

4father

Quote from: btdtgtt on November 10, 2011, 11:53:47 PM
Do Gort / St Agnes / St johns / oisins / sarsfields / Tir na nog / Carey / cushendun really have 3-5 players of county standard each?

Probably not 3-5 but there's always a superstar in every team.

Gort - Young McClean and Panzer McCann junior (was always a very very cpable GK)
St Johns - Well already have Simon McCrory, McFall.  Gareth Clarke is a half decent hurler and i'm sure there's merit in seeing if they have any other younger players coming through with potential.
St Agnes - I'll give you that, of the players that went to the trial, i don't think any of them would be real contenders to make the panel.
Oisíns - Have good experience in Division 1 now for a number of years, Tosh would still be capable i'd say and there's a few i've seen playing would be up to the pace - at least making the panel.
Sarsfields - Another few years and you'll know two lads in particular - Niall McKenna and Gary Lennon - two prospects.
Tir na nog - Magill could play no problem, as could Colm Duffin i'd say.
St Galls - Gaga, Mackers, big Anton could if he trimmed up possibly.  No doubt one or two younger stars and of course they already have the best hurler in Ulster in Karl Steward.

To call it a waste of time is a bit harsh.  As you said, everyone deserves an opportunity.

Jose Parasol

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 10, 2011, 07:08:32 PM
First 3 posts on Antrim thread and ya think he's from Dungiven? lol

I was warned about you by others on GAA Board, it seems you're a bit of a "whistle blower" in more ways than one.  I'll be watching you for sure!  Although Dungiven, born and bred in Antrim.  You're sounding like a teacher in some regards.

With regard to the Senior trials, I heard only 24 out of 50 turned up.  I suppose the county have to be seen to be casting the net.
Remember MR, Jesus loves ya, but everyone else thinks your an a*sh**e!

NAG1

4father

Hate to be negative but not one of the players you mentioned is up to this standard, genuine hurlers they may be but not county standard. Dont get me wrong I applaud Wallace for looking around in the county just saying that the ones you have mentioned there are not up to nor will the be to that level.

theskull1

I disagree Nag.

I think its vitally important that county management "show" a really desire to look at as many players as possible. You have to have trials. No one can tell where the next diamond in the rough will be found. Players mature at different times and I'm sure GW will be looking to give some the chance to step up. We should be open minded
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

Skull that's fine just expressing my opinion, my point is that the guys mentioned 8 out of the 9 are aged 25 + and having watched them means they would be unsuitable to be county hurlers at present.

By all means spread the net wide and catch as many as we can and not in a lip service way, but statistically the chances of developing a 16 - 17 - 18 year old into a better standard or hurler is higher than trying to develop a 25 yr old.

I am open minded but am looking at it from a resource point of view, we are limited financially so the best return would be to develop players who can play for the next ten years not the next two to three max.

Sleeping giant

[color=][/color]
Quote from: 4father on November 11, 2011, 01:04:37 AM
Quote from: btdtgtt on November 10, 2011, 11:53:47 PM
Do Gort / St Agnes / St johns / oisins / sarsfields / Tir na nog / Carey / cushendun really have 3-5 players of county standard each?

Probably not 3-5 but there's always a superstar in every team.

Gort - Young McClean and Panzer McCann junior (was always a very very cpable GK)
St Johns - Well already have Simon McCrory, McFall.  Gareth Clarke is a half decent hurler and i'm sure there's merit in seeing if they have any other younger players coming through with potential.
St Agnes - I'll give you that, of the players that went to the trial, i don't think any of them would be real contenders to make the panel.
Oisíns - Have good experience in Division 1 now for a number of years, Tosh would still be capable i'd say and there's a few i've seen playing would be up to the pace - at least making the panel.
Sarsfields - Another few years and you'll know two lads in particular - Niall McKenna and Gary Lennon - two prospects.
Tir na nog - Magill could play no problem, as could Colm Duffin i'd say.
St Galls - Gaga, Mackers, big Anton could if he trimmed up possibly.  No doubt one or two younger stars and of course they already have the best hurler in Ulster in Karl Steward.

To call it a waste of time is a bit harsh.  As you said, everyone deserves an opportunity.
imo Magill would make it for sure,  reason being, i believe Paddy Richmond is finished at county level, Magill is quite physical and should be given a chance at edge of square, i think if you had him tuned in, and young sambo and maybe Watson either side, would have making of a very cabable full forward line
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

saffronog

watched oisins against shamrocks on our pitch and there were few i would try and should make panel maybe even 1st 15.  very one sided game though. glenariffe very poor.  Tosh is maybe now over the hill and he didn't play that nite as he had retired the goalie said.  shamrocks young campbell, but i suppose these guys will try out later and surely will be in management eyes anyway.  possibly mcgarry in the corner but he is light, though not as light as few boys with panel at present.  Player of tosh age (35) ?? over the hill for county level.  defo some st galls men as watched them 3 times this year.  Magill if there was no messing with him (he likes to sneak off for this and that)  needs alot of hurling.  duffin no.  we guy panzer, gillan from cushendall, the u 21 keeper.  My only hope is there are a serious of matches now after first trial and slowly but steadily many of current panel are introduced to this.  for some of them are not up to the standard.  Magill gone gone, same age as tosh only no were near as fit or fast.  Dunloy from what i had seen won't be contributing much.  Unless Magee is back.

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: saffronog on November 11, 2011, 01:52:06 PM
watched oisins against shamrocks on our pitch and there were few i would try and should make panel maybe even 1st 15.  very one sided game though. glenariffe very poor.  Tosh is maybe now over the hill and he didn't play that nite as he had retired the goalie said.  shamrocks young campbell, but i suppose these guys will try out later and surely will be in management eyes anyway.  possibly mcgarry in the corner but he is light, though not as light as few boys with panel at present.  Player of tosh age (35) ?? over the hill for county level.  defo some st galls men as watched them 3 times this year.  Magill if there was no messing with him (he likes to sneak off for this and that)  needs alot of hurling.  duffin no.  we guy panzer, gillan from cushendall, the u 21 keeper.  My only hope is there are a serious of matches now after first trial and slowly but steadily many of current panel are introduced to this.  for some of them are not up to the standard.  Magill gone gone, same age as tosh only no were near as fit or fast.  Dunloy from what i had seen won't be contributing much.  Unless Magee is back.
Wot????? This doesn't make sense....Magill is gone gone??? He is only about 28... Tosh is about 33/34
Or Magill if he wasnt messing???

imtommygunn

Tosh is 33.

QuoteMagill gone gone, same age as tosh only no were near as fit or fast
Magill who?? Michael Magill 28/29 or so. Paddy Magill not even close to 33.

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 11, 2011, 02:06:28 PM
Tosh is 33.

If its Paddy McGill...then he's about 24

Minder

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on November 11, 2011, 02:09:36 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 11, 2011, 02:06:28 PM
Tosh is 33.

If its Paddy McGill...then he's about 24

Tosh is finished for Glenariffe so it's a moot point. Gettens is the only one of our players I would have up, he has improved massively over the last two years, both physically and hurling wise.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"