Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

I thought it was just me. In agreement with NAH. Its a bit sickening and even worse creates a very unhealhty dynamic of acceptablity of such practices.

The points you're making milltown about preparations is a separate issue
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

It wasnt the players who were making phone calls asking their mates to see if they fancied a game, it was so called management and county officials.

This age group has been ignored for years and treated with total apathy. We should either pull out of this age group or treat it with some respect, if not for our dignity and pride then for the sake of dublin and their preperations for an AIF.

Not sure on the betting front, have never liked betting against your own team attitude. Remember being in casement manys a time during league games and guys celebrating antrim 'only' getting beat by 8 or 9 because they had covered the spread. Not a good attitude. But I guess each to their own.

Jesusjones

Why is no one placing any blame on the U-21's so called manager? How did he get the job? At the start of last season it was announced that Dinny was the senior and U-21 manager. How did Dominic Kearns suddenly get the job? I've never heard of him managing an U-12 club team never mind a county U-21 squad.

Minder

Quote from: Jesusjones on August 22, 2011, 09:15:08 AM
Why is no one placing any blame on the U-21's so called manager? How did he get the job? At the start of last season it was announced that Dinny was the senior and U-21 manager. How did Dominic Kearns suddenly get the job? I've never heard of him managing an U-12 club team never mind a county U-21 squad.

In fairness I don't think anyone is kicking the door down for the job, I would say nobody else would have done it. I wouldn't knock him for giving up his time.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Glensman

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on August 21, 2011, 07:37:44 PM
Any dates/venue/times out for the junior or intermediate championships next weekend??

Are these seriously not out yet? Less than a week before the 1/2 final matches?
Given the senior 1/4 final fixtures have been out for months would it not be wise to stick one of each of the semis before one of them.
How can a team plan their training when they don't know when they are on?!

Jesusjones

I wouldn't fault him for taking the job at all, I'd fault whoever let him have it.

theskull1

Were you not available JJ?

This is the problem lads. Where are all these willing compedent mentors and enthusiastic backroom staff who are prepared to look after their own wee part of the overall jigsaw?

In this county we have far too many missing peices. Lets not go down the route of sniping at those who are prepared to give of their time.

NAG1

I wasnt sniping at anyone, my general point was the apathy directed towards the U21 set up for the past number of years. This can be seen in a number of different ways, people can take their pick of which they choose.

Agree skull we have a lack of numbers at all different levels of those prepared to put their shoulder to the wheel.

4father

Quote from: theskull1 on August 22, 2011, 09:53:18 AM
Were you not available JJ?

This is the problem lads. Where are all these willing compedent mentors and enthusiastic backroom staff who are prepared to look after their own wee part of the overall jigsaw?

In this county we have far too many missing peices. Lets not go down the route of sniping at those who are prepared to give of their time.

Here here

JamesH

i don't blame Dominic its the senior management i blame, lads how much respect does he comand from a panel? The man is the kit man for the senior squad, and never managed above minor club level. To be placed in the position seemed to be some sort of pr exercise and oh Jesus cant say any more on this.

Onthehill

Folks this is absolutely embarrassing to hear about fellow antrim men betting against their own team but more importantly the fact that they feel the need to come on here and jump up and down about it.  Makes me sick to be honest.

Then other posters feel the need to blame a man who gives up his time for a job that you get absolutely no thanks for. Dinny appointed Domnic as the manager of the U21s as its his responsibility as senior manager to look oversee the U21s. I'm sure he wouldnt have asked him if he felt he wasnt capable of doing it. I seen him sitting behind Kearns on the bench on the tv on Sat evening during the match so i presume hes still involved.

I was speaking briefly to Domnic at the golf classic on friday in Ballycastle about the game and he said to me preparations hadn't went well. I'm sure he'll not mine me saying this but he said he had called training on several nights and managers from club teams were ringing him telling him that the players were playing club championship at the weekend and that they wouldnt be attending county training.  His job was impossible.

theskull1

I'd love to know what happens in regards to club championship preparations in other counties when it comes to 21s.

But isn't our problem mainly to do with the calibre of player available before we start going into the preparations?

All down to the "couldn't be bothered"/"somebody else will do it" attitude of many adults in this county

heffo

Quote from: theskull1 on August 22, 2011, 12:48:31 PM
I'd love to know what happens in regards to club championship preparations in other counties when it comes to 21s.

The players would train with the county in Dublin and then train with the club in the build up to SHC/IHC - generally no clash.

I wouldn't be using Dublin as an example to hold up though given the current difficulties we have with our own SFC/SHC

Jesusjones

People don't seem to understand, I don't fault Kearns for taking the job, but Dinny shouldn't have been able to appoint him, all county managers should be appointed by the county board. Dinny was appointed at the beginning of 2010 to manage Antrim senior and U-21 hurling teams. If he didn't want to do it the county board should have requested nominations from the clubs. Dinny should not have been able to appoint whoever he wanted to the position, especially not someone with a very limited CV.

Minder

Quote from: Jesusjones on August 22, 2011, 02:26:45 PM
People don't seem to understand, I don't fault Kearns for taking the job, but Dinny shouldn't have been able to appoint him, all county managers should be appointed by the county board. Dinny was appointed at the beginning of 2010 to manage Antrim senior and U-21 hurling teams. If he didn't want to do it the county board should have requested nominations from the clubs. Dinny should not have been able to appoint whoever he wanted to the position, especially not someone with a very limited CV.

I guarantee you there wouldn't have been one nomination from the clubs, similar to the carry on every year trying to get a minor manager and backroom team. There were two Rossa fellas that used to have an ice cream van and wanted into Casement to sell their wares when games were on and were told they could if they managed the U-21 team. Nobody is kicking the door down.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"