Kerry V Dublin

Started by magickingdom, July 26, 2009, 06:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: yellowcard on August 03, 2009, 07:22:39 PM
Arguably the second best team in history. Four titles this decade, potentially six finals in a row. Not bad for such a poor Kerry side!

Thanks, so Tyrone are the best, since they've (Kerry) a 100% failure rate against them!  ;D :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

INDIANA

Haven't read through the thread and I'm not going too. Struggling to post after that and questioning really is their any merit in being a Dublin football supporter after that.
I've followed Dublin for a number of decades now and I've rarely witnessed anything like that today.
I've been criticised for being too harsh on the Dublin football team in recent years well now maybe people might roll back on that.
We gave up today, packed it in, whatever you want to call it. When the going got tough we didn't want to know. No legislation for that.
Complete clear out required- I'm talking a complete clear out.

Just from the managements point of view although there isn't much you can do when you're players give up but.....
Tactically they got it wrong
Selection wise they got it wrong
And substitution wise they got it wrong.

But if your players give up the management can't do much.

The current Dublin management won't win an All-ireland. the next Dublin manager won't either. 6/7 years away at best. That will do untold damge to thre Gaa in Dublin today.
Dublin will play in an All-ireland hurling final before a football one. You mark my words on that because I won't be wrong.

Kerry were great today but like Cork yesterday- I'd question the value of beating that Dublin team today. It was no contest for 62 minutes.
We'll get the piss ripped out of us and deservedly so- but its like a wake here at the moment. I thought we had a chance today- Christ how wrong I was.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: yellowcard on August 03, 2009, 06:40:14 PM
True I know they only played twice in finals but they have shared the last 6 All Irelands and I really hope we see a new face lifting Sam in September. Nothing wrong with that. Cork are best equipped to do this and the likes of Canty, Lynch, Murphy et al deserve an All Ireland.

Well theyve had a few chances to earn that "deserved" All-Ireland and have another this year so its down to them. Excellent performance by Kerry today, I thought they would wake up on reaching this stage and beat the Dubs but didnt think it would be such a mauling. Actually starting to feel a bit sorry for the Dubs now, they seem unable to avoid all the hype building up around them and then seem equally unable to deal with it. They have some good footballers but are falling short in terms of mental strength.

As for Kerry nobody should be too surprised they were able to pull out a big performance, theyre a class team. No doubt a lot of people will now lose the run of themselves and proclaim Kerry an unbeatable wonderteam, the same people who were writing them off as finished over the past few weeks. Always been a lack of perspective in GAA circles.

spectator

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 03, 2009, 06:13:18 PM
Jeez, did I get that wrong!

To be fair, you're not the only one FoSB.

As Paddy Heaney so memorably and publicly scoffed a few days ago ;

Dubs can put the ailing Kingdom out of its misery

A few months ago, this column caused some civil unrest in the deep south when it dared to suggest that we, as a nation, are hopelessly deluded about Kerry football.

Against the Breeze argued that these people were just plain wrong. It said these people were still living under the spell of the magical green and gold jersey. It said they were allowing tradition and nostalgia to cloud their judgement.

Whereas Mike Frank Russell and Eoin Brosnan recently quit his squad, the absolute unity and dedication that Jack needs can be found in the changing room of his next opponents. Dublin's Ciaran Whelan, Bryan Cullen and Shane Ryan have all been prepared to sit on the bench.

Nevertheless, Kerry's grip on the public imagination is still incredibly strong. For all their failings and fall-outs, it's amazing how few can identify the symptoms of a dying team.

There is a nationwide inability to dismiss Kerry. Despite the evidence presented in recent games, there are many who still insist that 'you write Kerry off at your peril'.

What cautious drivel! Against Longford, Sligo and Antrim, we witnessed a once fine team in the death throes. Proud, strong and noble, it's fitting that Kerry are gasping for every last lungful of air.

It's a relief they weren't beaten in the Qualifiers. These players deserved a better send-off than to be laid to rest in a remote outpost in the midlands.

Better for them to return to the capital, and Croke Park, the ground they consider home, and the place where this Kerry team will receive their last rites.

http://www.irishnews.com/irishnews/597/5764/2009/7/28/623611_388890678322Dubscanp.html

Even more hilarious reading it now ... don't think Paddy will be heaping self-praise on his analytical ability any time soon again, if he's to have any credibility left  :D  ;)

Shamrock Shore

I base my assertion on a Kerry team that only beat us by 4 points with Donaghy.

But, on mature reflection, I think Kerry refound themselves today.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: INDIANA on August 03, 2009, 07:28:13 PM

The current Dublin management won't win an All-ireland. the next Dublin manager won't either. 6/7 years away at best. That will do untold damge to thre Gaa in Dublin today.

if dublin club football is as good as you say it is indiana why do you think it will be 6 or 7 years before ye can challenge for an all ireland ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Hound

FUUUCK!

Well done Kerry.

Armamike

Quote from: spectator on August 03, 2009, 07:41:06 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 03, 2009, 06:13:18 PM
Jeez, did I get that wrong!

To be fair, you're not the only one FoSB.

As Paddy Heaney so memorably and publicly scoffed a few days ago ;

Dubs can put the ailing Kingdom out of its misery

A few months ago, this column caused some civil unrest in the deep south when it dared to suggest that we, as a nation, are hopelessly deluded about Kerry football.

Against the Breeze argued that these people were just plain wrong. It said these people were still living under the spell of the magical green and gold jersey. It said they were allowing tradition and nostalgia to cloud their judgement.

Whereas Mike Frank Russell and Eoin Brosnan recently quit his squad, the absolute unity and dedication that Jack needs can be found in the changing room of his next opponents. Dublin's Ciaran Whelan, Bryan Cullen and Shane Ryan have all been prepared to sit on the bench.

Nevertheless, Kerry's grip on the public imagination is still incredibly strong. For all their failings and fall-outs, it's amazing how few can identify the symptoms of a dying team.

There is a nationwide inability to dismiss Kerry. Despite the evidence presented in recent games, there are many who still insist that 'you write Kerry off at your peril'.

What cautious drivel! Against Longford, Sligo and Antrim, we witnessed a once fine team in the death throes. Proud, strong and noble, it's fitting that Kerry are gasping for every last lungful of air.

It's a relief they weren't beaten in the Qualifiers. These players deserved a better send-off than to be laid to rest in a remote outpost in the midlands.

Better for them to return to the capital, and Croke Park, the ground they consider home, and the place where this Kerry team will receive their last rites.

http://www.irishnews.com/irishnews/597/5764/2009/7/28/623611_388890678322Dubscanp.html

Even more hilarious reading it now ... don't think Paddy will be heaping self-praise on his analytical ability any time soon again, if he's to have any credibility left  :D  ;)

That's not the first time Paddy has had egg on his face - Nostradamus he's not.
That's just, like your opinion man.

INDIANA

Quote from: the Deel Rover on August 03, 2009, 07:43:28 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 03, 2009, 07:28:13 PM

if dublin club football is as good as you say it is indiana why do you think it will be 6 or 7 years before ye can challenge for an all ireland ?

I said Dublin club football was a decent standard- read the relevent thread extracts. Mayo is a decent standard but you haven't won an all-ireland since the 50's. Club football means feck all at county level when you haven't the attitude or winning mentality associated with the kerry's and tyrone's of this world.
Kerry and Tyrone are born to win the likes of dublin and others were born to lose.

comethekingdom

Quote from: yellowcard on August 03, 2009, 06:40:14 PM
Quote from: Archie Mitchell on August 03, 2009, 06:21:00 PM
Quote from: magickingdom on August 03, 2009, 06:05:54 PM
Quote from: Archie Mitchell on August 03, 2009, 05:59:04 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 03, 2009, 05:23:19 PM
Quote from: tyssam5 on August 03, 2009, 05:11:13 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 03, 2009, 05:08:40 PM
That dreadful thought of another Tyrone v Kerry final is creeping in again now. Kerry going for 6 finals in a row look to be a shoe in to make the final on that display. I really am sick of them at ths stage but their class told today up front where their passing and movement was top notch. I still think they are weak up the middle of the defence against a team running at pace. McCarthy done well today even though he was put under no real pressure.

Come on Cork, please save this championship from another Tyrone Kerry final fest.

Aye cos the last Kerry v. Cork final was such a classic and all!

Never mentioned it being a classic, just fed up of the same 2 teams contesting the final. No doubt Kerry would probably do the usual crumbling when confronted with Tyrones in your face tactics. The rebels are the only chance of breaking this monopoly so I'm willing them on from here on in.

And your not fed up of Kerry being in the final year after year? They have been in the final 7 years out of last 9 and look like making in 8 out of 10.

archie, whose fault is that? i get sick of the sight of killkenny in the hurling but their brilliant at the end of the day and i dispare at times of anyone beating them because of the skill levels involved. not so much in football where the skill levels are not so different and its a huge tribute to the kerry players that they put in so much time and effort. the most important ingredient in kerry football is hunger and others counties can quickly match kerry if they match their hunger

Im not saying it Kerry's fault, they were good value for getting to all them finals and fair play to them. He quoted that he was fed up seeing Tyrone and Kerry in the final all the time, but they have only played in the final twice this decade and Tyrone have only appeared in one other final compared to Kerry's 7 finals this decade, so I cant see why he is fed up seeing Tyrone and Kerry in the final when Kerry have been there more times.

True I know they only played twice in finals but they have shared the last 6 All Irelands and I really hope we see a new face lifting Sam in September. Nothing wrong with that. Cork are best equipped to do this and the likes of Canty, Lynch, Murphy et al deserve an All Ireland.

Quote : I really hope we see a new face lifting Sam in September.

Darren O Sullivan would be a new face to lift Sam !! ;)

yellowcard

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 03, 2009, 07:27:01 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 03, 2009, 07:22:39 PM
Arguably the second best team in history. Four titles this decade, potentially six finals in a row. Not bad for such a poor Kerry side!

Thanks, so Tyrone are the best, since they've (Kerry) a 100% failure rate against them!  ;D :D

Using your logic Mayo are therefore a better team than Tyrone since they knocked them out twice in the last 5 years.

Deal with the facts, Kerry have 4 All Irelands and Tyrone have 3. In fact Dara O'Se has 5 Celtic Crosses. Kerry have been in 7 All Ireland finals and potentially 8 this decade. Tyrone have been in 3. These are facts.

talktothehand

thank you paddy power for your most generous 6/5 on kerry. paid for my weekend that did!! ;D

Minder

Yet some clowns put great stock in what fellas like Heaney say for some reason.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Aaron Boone

Dublin's appetite for destruction to end Kerry era
Kieran Shannon, Sunday Tribune

Over the past week it's becoming increasingly common for it to be said that Dublin are in a vulnerable position and that Kerry are actually nicely positioned, coming into an All Ireland quarter-final as underdogs. That's not the case. Dublin will never get a better chance than this, Dublin will never be better positioned than this, to do something they've failed to do for the last decade or more – beat a champion side.

For all the Leinsters they've won, for all the thrills they've provided and cracking games they've been in, this Dublin team have only beaten fellow would-be contenders, never champions. Against the sides that contest All Irelands – the Tyrones, Armaghs, Kerrys and even Mayos – they've always slipped up. The natural progression for this side is to finally beat a side of that calibre and profile, and in an experienced but waning Kerry, they've been handed the ideal opponent, a bit like an up and coming fighter one fight away from a shot at the title being handed a fight against a proud but aging former champion first.

Being such proud champions – indeed the root of Kerry's current problems may be that too many of their players are too proud – Jack O'Connor's team will have questioned Dublin's right to beat them when that Dublin team is so vulnerable itself. David Henry is the only proven championship footballer in their full-back line; if Colm Cooper clicks and Henry has to be moved off him, who do Pat Gilroy and Mickey Whelan switch onto him? Ditto that Dublin half-forward line; there are major questions in particular about Diarmuid Connolly's temperament at this level.

Dublin must go out with the view of not just beating Kerry but of destroying them, and show the attitude Cork displayed against the same opposition in Páirc Uí Chaoimh, rather than the more tentative manner in which they played them a week earlier in Killarney. Run at them and make them doubt whether they have the legs and heart for this level of football anymore. In other years it was a mistake to engage in a shootout with Kerry, but this year it's your best chance, rather than an edgy, low-scoring dogfight where in the last 20 minutes the fear of losing and having to wait another August for redemption may creep into the minds of Dublin.

For all the reservations we'd have about their full-back line and half forwards, this is Dublin's to lose. They have the players to come in at midfield and in Bernard Brogan, they have the real deal, a player to take them to the next level. Just because Kerry are back in Croke Park it's not like as if they can just switch on a light. Normally teams have cranked up by now. Kerry did so against Longford in '06; last year against Mayo, Tyrone had a storming 15-minute spell after Conor Mortimer's missed goal chance. Kerry's last 10 minutes against an Antrim side weary from losing a provincial final hardly qualifies.

All fine teams come to an end. Kerry effectively ended John O'Mahony's Galway this weekend seven years ago, and Joe Kernan's, this weekend three years ago. Armagh died hard. Kerry deserve to die hard. Kerry are too proud and chivalric to fall down easily. But fall they will. Dublin by three.

mc_grens

Quote from: nobackdoor on August 03, 2009, 07:03:52 PM
Bad result for the GAA financially.

The Dubs bring alot of money to the table. I can't c too many supporting them next year and paying good money to watch moving statues as another poster called them.

In fact, I think alot of young fellahs in the capital will continue to drift to sports that Dublin have some success in, soccer and rugby.

A shambles of a game from a team that never fails to choke on the big day. I'd say the Dublin hurlers r closer to winning an AI than that shower of wasters. Why the hell is Sherlock still playing on the team? He was past it 10 years ago.

Pathetic, overhyped rubbish. Never have 15 promised so much and delivered so little.

I wasnt aware Dublin had a Rugby team?

Same old Dublin same old problems. The top 2 inches just doesnt measure up to the top teams. Talent and fitness can only get you so far, and judging on whats happened in the last couple years the talent level just isnt there at some positions either, Midfield, Full Back, and Half Forward for example.