AIQF Tyrone v ?

Started by ONeill, July 22, 2009, 05:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Penrose won almost every ball hit at him on Sunday in the first half and laid it off. I think his place is well merited but with McGinley and Dooher probably starting next day, he'll lose his starting berth. Mugsy scored a couple of beauties on Sunday reminiscent of '05, especially his last when he dummied McLean.

Sean Cavanagh's dummy (or ridiculous dummy as Brolly oft quotes) is almost comical now. You knew about 4-5 seconds beforehand that he was going to do it. The players, crowd and commentator knew. He still pulled it off to perfection and pointed. I suppose the only way is to mill him!

As for B McGuigan, he said himself that his peripheral vision is almost gone, something that was his strongest asset. He's still excellent at keeping possession and playing the highest percentage ball, demoralising when the opposition are chasing the game. He did it masterfully in the AIF last year when he came on. I just cannot see him starting this year. Tommy seems to pop up with crucial scores in every game now.

Colm Cavanagh is still an enigma. There's something infuriatingly clumsy about him yet you know there's a footballer inside there. He seems to come on full of beans and just dunders into everything that moves, yet he's always involved.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Rocky Mc Guigan

Think you meant 1995 there Fuzzman

loughshore lad

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 23, 2009, 02:12:14 PM
Interesting that you think Tommy is ahead of Brian at the moment as I was wondering how Brian's return was progressing & why him or McCullagh aren't starting this year. Is it true he still has poor side vision so it's easier to disposs him now?

Brian is playing much, much better this year than he did last year, he seems more comfortable within himself and the hamstring injury before the Armagh game came at a bad time for him.  Although the peripheral vision is affected on one side I dont know to exactly what extent although he has not been dispossessed too many times lately.

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 23, 2009, 02:12:14 PM
I reckon we now have a decoy FF line to date and its main purpose is to win ball out in front of their men like Penrose & Stevie have been doing and laying it off to the runners coming through like Sean's goal last Sunday.
I'd like to see stats on how many of the scores from play we've got are from half forwards & midfielders or defenders. I'd say quite a lot.

This has been apparent in the play for quite some time now.

Rocky Mc Guigan

Heard Brian Mc Guigan being deployed in half back line in some club games this year- any truth in this Loughshorelad

orangeman

Quote from: Rocky Mc Guigan on July 23, 2009, 10:52:42 PM
Heard Brian Mc Guigan being deployed in half back line in some club games this year- any truth in this Loughshorelad

Nope.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: loughshore lad on July 23, 2009, 10:27:36 PM
Brian is playing much, much better this year than he did last year, he seems more comfortable within himself and the hamstring injury before the Armagh game came at a bad time for him.  Although the peripheral vision is affected on one side I dont know to exactly what extent although he has not been dispossessed too many times lately.

That would be my take too. He seems much more like his old self, and actually seems to be adapting his game to the peripheral vision shortcomings so as not to be compromised by it, which is something that only someone of his class could actually do.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

tyrone86

Quote from: Final Whistle on July 23, 2009, 08:42:41 AM
Quote from: loughshore lad on July 22, 2009, 10:27:11 PM
Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on July 22, 2009, 08:51:27 PM
I wish Brian McGuigan had got more time on Sunday. If fit and back to anywhere near his best he would be an automatic starter. O'Neill and Mugsy would benefit from his passing. Depending on his form I would pick him ahead of Tommy, maybe the Ardboe posters who have watched them play more feel differently?

I don't think I would have Brian ahead of Tommy at this point.  Tommy has been exceptional for Ardboe this season.  As I posted here on sunday night I though he was harshly called ashore on sunday, he scored 3 points and set up another 3.  Brian has been playing very well of late as well and I also thought he would have got more time on sunday but perhaps Mickey is trying to squeeze that wee bit more out of him, he is going to be vital coming into the business end of things.

Quote from: ONeill on July 22, 2009, 09:36:32 PM
I'd completely disagree regarding O'Neill's man marking. I think that's his weak point and that he makes the other defenders more wary of staying back...from what I've seen anyway. Great attacking half back but a little naive. Harte much more aware of his duties if not quite a Conor Gormley.

Not so sure I agree entirely O'Neill.  Having saw Sean O'Neill a few times for Dromore I have got the impression this guy is the real deal, obviously he is extremely strong from an attacking perspective but from what I have saw he is no slouch defensively either.  They have a big word for him round St Mary's as well and he has played full back for them indicating his defensive ability is good as well.  If anything I reckon he could replace Jordan before Harte in the long run.

The Tyrone wing backs are helped immensely by Dooher, Joe and to a lesser extent Hub.  The cover they give to the wing backs is fabulous.

Id have to disagree, Jordan is the heartbeat  of the team. Note the breaks he makes from his own 45 to the opposition 45 turning a 10 v 8 to a 8 v 6, setting up attack after attack. Id love to see the posession stats. Jordan the unrecogonised playmaker in the team.

Saying that O'Neill looks like the perfect replacement with great feet and a dead ball expertise. a real talent.

Question-when was the last time Jordan missed a inter county championship game and can anyone answer what other number has Jordan ever worn?

Agree 100%. He's the defensive equivalent of Dooher. In fact, of all the lads currently playing from those Minor panel of 97/98 I'd say Jordan is probably the lad that will play at the highest level the longest.

It's hard to see were Sean O'Neill is going to fit in the short term. While everything is dependent on form, very few lads nail a place in the team down this soon and the class of the lads there at the moment make opportunities scarce. I'd envisage he'll take over the role of Ricey in a couple of years, or if Justy is required at Midfield in the foreseeable future then perhaps there is a jersey for him at CHB with Gormley at FB.

ONeill

For me, of the 97-09 vintage, Jordan has been numero uno.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

longball

Quote from: longball on July 22, 2009, 05:18:17 PM
The team:

1. Packie

2. Gourley               3. Justin                  6. Gormley

5. Harte                  7. Jordan                4. Ricy

8. McGinley             9. Hub

10. Dooher             14. Cavanagh           12. Joey

13. Penrose            11. Tommy              15. Mugsy

O'Neill and PJ to miss out.

I still stick by what ive named above!

Tommy is the most in form player in Tyrone at the minute.

Someone also mentioned on this thread that Mugsy isnt doing it?? he kicked three points at the weekend and played killer passes he done this job well without shinning something he has done in every game this year and is well fit for his place.

Re SON. I know he won and layed off a lot of ball over last two games etc but he has looked clumsy as well and took a lot of wrong options! also 0-1 in two games isnt good enough for an inside forward. If Paddy Bradley, Eoin Bradley, Gooch, Bernard Brogan, Michael Meenan, Tommy Freeman, Aidan Kilcoyne all players that SON is likened to done the same, ie won a bit of ball and layed it off but only scored 0-1 in two games, they would be slated! Feel he will be left off the next day but he is a great sub to have! REMEMBER 03!
Also if you knew my MAIN REASON for leaving him off you'd understand!
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

nrico2006

QuoteRe SON. I know he won and layed off a lot of ball over last two games etc but he has looked clumsy as well and took a lot of wrong options! also 0-1 in two games isnt good enough for an inside forward. If Paddy Bradley, Eoin Bradley, Gooch, Bernard Brogan, Michael Meenan, Tommy Freeman, Aidan Kilcoyne all players that SON is likened to done the same, ie won a bit of ball and layed it off but only scored 0-1 in two games, they would be slated! Feel he will be left off the next day but he is a great sub to have! REMEMBER 03!

You are joking.  I feel that SON will have a big game next time out, especially if its in Croke Park.  As for 2003, was it not a case of him being in England most of the year and then having an injury that prevented him from getting his place.  He is a player that should start if fit, no question.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 24, 2009, 10:48:25 AM
QuoteRe SON. I know he won and layed off a lot of ball over last two games etc but he has looked clumsy as well and took a lot of wrong options! also 0-1 in two games isnt good enough for an inside forward. If Paddy Bradley, Eoin Bradley, Gooch, Bernard Brogan, Michael Meenan, Tommy Freeman, Aidan Kilcoyne all players that SON is likened to done the same, ie won a bit of ball and layed it off but only scored 0-1 in two games, they would be slated! Feel he will be left off the next day but he is a great sub to have! REMEMBER 03!

You are joking.  I feel that SON will have a big game next time out, especially if its in Croke Park.  As for 2003, was it not a case of him being in England most of the year and then having an injury that prevented him from getting his place.  He is a player that should start if fit, no question.

Absolutly correct. To even suggest not starting him is ridiculous. Ok he has not been brilliant but you dont leave legends like him on the bench when fit. Im sure he will be back to his brilliant best in Croke Park.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Get well soon longball  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

longball

Legends---- i dont care what you've done in the past lad i need you to be performing in the hear and now. There is too many people knocking on the door in Tyrone for players not to be performing. Can honestly see him not starting but some bench if Oneill, B McGuigan and C McCullagh all on it.

longball

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 24, 2009, 11:15:30 AM
Get well soon longball  ;)

Who are yos dropping for McGinley to come back in then??

Fuzzman

As we said in the car up to the Derry match, maybe Mickey will play Stevie at FB as positions mean nothing nowadays and it will confuse the opposition.  :D

I think if Stevie ties up 2 defenders and wins is own ball & sets up several scores then he's doing more than enough
Its all about team these days and no longer about having one or two star players who get all the scores.

Can anyone post up who has got all the scores so far this year?